PDA

View Full Version : Will all this rain help us in the spring time?

John c
09-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Here where I live we have had record breaking rainfall this year. We have already broke the old record and there is still more to come! I am just wondering if all this rain will help or hinder our season this coming spring or doesn't it even matter one way or the other?
Thanks all,

John c.

adk1
09-29-2011, 06:59 PM
I have been thinking the same thing. I know that the oldtimer farmers always said that the swamps needed to be full before freeze-up in order to be a good crop year...so I hope!

smitty76
09-29-2011, 07:01 PM
well John, i hope all this moisture will help to make a good season. i hear you on all the rain. we do not need anymore right now.

Rossell's Sugar Camp
09-29-2011, 07:14 PM
Last year we were in an awful dry spell that made all my hard maples loose their leaves early. Same thing is happening this year because of the seeds. Last year was a great season lets hope for the same. The trees here are 50% bare already.

3rdgen.maple
09-29-2011, 09:35 PM
Guys I dont think there is any rime or reasoning behind the rain. This is the 3rd spring summer and fall in a row for me that we have had above average rainfall. Year 1 of all this rain was the worst season ever on the books, year 2 was a great sap year bu sugar content was terrible, year 3 well we will have to wait and see. So far the conclusion is 50/50 on wether its going to be a good one or a bad one lol.

Russell Lampron
09-30-2011, 08:10 PM
It is always better to have some moisture in the ground for the trees to suck up in the spring especially if we don't have much snow fall to melt off come sugaring season.

3rdgen.maple
09-30-2011, 09:05 PM
It is always better to have some moisture in the ground for the trees to suck up in the spring especially if we don't have much snow fall to melt off come sugaring season.
Not much snowfall is not even a thing to speak of where Im from. Theres plenty of moisture in the ground here come spring.

KenWP
09-30-2011, 09:23 PM
With all this rain next season will be poor as I can't get firewood into the house from the woods. She who must be obeyed got stuck everyday this week after one load and I had to go the tractor unstuck in the dark every night when I got home.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-30-2011, 09:39 PM
Here where I live we have had record breaking rainfall this year. We have already broke the old record and there is still more to come! I am just wondering if all this rain will help or hinder our season this coming spring or doesn't it even matter one way or the other?
Thanks all,

John c.

I don't think anybody could realy guess this early.Winter conditions usualy are more important then fall. There is alot that could change between now and March.

802maple
11-03-2011, 05:13 AM
And winter conditions have very little to do with it either, it is the weather we get in sugaring and only the weather we get in sugaring. You can have all the moisture in the world and if the weather warms up to fast it will be over, or you can have dry soil and then have perfect sugaring weather which includes storms, during the season and have a record year because of it. So in May I will have an answer, but not until then.

red maples
11-03-2011, 07:39 AM
there might be a tad drop to sugar but its all about the spring weather!!! for how much sap you will get any old timer sugarmaker will tell you "whatever weather happens. see me at the end of the season and I will tell you how I did"

802maple
11-03-2011, 09:59 AM
You calling me an oldtimer? LOL

red maples
11-03-2011, 10:29 AM
you can't be that old you used.... LOL!!!

I guess to be politically corrected I should have said more experienced sugarmakers. but we all understand the term oldtimers and I am not usually politically correct!!!!;)

I have learned tons of stuff from hanging out with oldtimers. thats how I learned how to Icefish and where the fish are at what time of year on the lake I grew up on!!! :)