PDA

View Full Version : Location of new Sugarhouse near barn

frankz
09-29-2011, 12:47 PM
I am graduating from a propane turkey frier to a Mason 2x3 evaporator and planning a 12x16 sugarhouse. I think I am fortunate in that I have a vacant 12'x16' concrete slab approximately 15' from my barn. The barn is roughly 40' x 40' and 30 feet high. My concern is downdraft from the barn affecting the draw on the evaporator fire(chimney cap solution?) and the possible fire hazard from the stack being so close to the barn. I have other available sites so safety, and efficiency, is my primary concern. What should I do?

sapman28
09-29-2011, 03:02 PM
One of the largest barn fires I have ever been at was caused by the sugarhouse. THe sugarhouse was at least 200' from the barn and the wind was just right that day and a spark from the stack set the barn on fire. It was good for many years but it was just right that day. As far as a cap, I wouldn't recomend it, to much, restriction on your draft. I would find a place farther away. Good luck.

lastwoodsman
09-29-2011, 03:23 PM
This will sound nuts but if your ground is flat I have seen a old 10x12 slab with rewire in the cement pushed with a cat 100 yards to a new location for a shed. certainly not typical.

adk1
09-29-2011, 06:38 PM
One of the largest barn fires I have ever been at was caused by the sugarhouse. THe sugarhouse was at least 200' from the barn and the wind was just right that day and a spark from the stack set the barn on fire. It was good for many years but it was just right that day. As far as a cap, I wouldn't recomend it, to much, restriction on your draft. I would find a place farther away. Good luck.

no cap? I ahve large white pines all around my sugarhouse. I have trimmed the overhanging branches the best I could, but I was still planning on installed a cap!

NH Maplemaker
10-02-2011, 11:15 AM
Many years ago the old farmer that owned this farm was boiling late into the night. He told me that he step outside the sugar house door to have a smoke. When he looked up saw the sparks from the stack where landing on the barn roof! He said he decided right then and there that his lively hood came from cows and not maple, so never sugared again!!
The cows are long gone and I switched to oil ! So no problem. I have Been making syrup here for all most 30 years. Jim L.

christopherh
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
That is pretty close. I burn hemlock which creates alot of embers flying out of the stack. My barn is 60 ft away and I'm very careful. A spark arrestor in the stack helped alot. Chris

Greenwich Maple Man
10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
I am graduating from a propane turkey frier to a Mason 2x3 evaporator and planning a 12x16 sugarhouse. I think I am fortunate in that I have a vacant 12'x16' concrete slab approximately 15' from my barn. The barn is roughly 40' x 40' and 30 feet high. My concern is downdraft from the barn affecting the draw on the evaporator fire(chimney cap solution?) and the possible fire hazard from the stack being so close to the barn. I have other available sites so safety, and efficiency, is my primary concern. What should I do?

I wouldn't even consider putting a sugarhouse that close to a bar. I know I have at least 6 feet of sparks on average coming out of my stack. This would be a huge firehazard. I would be sure to build some place else.As far as a cap goes . I had one on one of my old 2by6s and it greatly effeacted the boil and gph. I boil wide open now and atleast 60 yards from another building. Just my own thoughts.

jdgordon
10-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Was a Professional Firefighter/Paramedic/Deputy Fire Chief for 20 yrs before retiring. Also had much training in wild fire suppression. Hard to believe but airborne embers can travel 1/4 to 1/2 mile with the with the right weather conditions. During sap season normally there shouldn't be problems. BUT in this case you should consider moving further away from the barn. Good luck

wiam
10-05-2011, 02:40 PM
I usually have about 15' of sparks. There have been 1 or 2 days each spring that I have shut down and waited intil evening to boil because of dry windy conditions.

Could someone define professonal firefighter?

Bucket Head
10-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Professional firefighter is another name for a salaried firefighter, usually. Salaried meaning a member of a city fire department, vs. a volunteer fire company member who does not collect a pay check.

Steve

wiam
10-05-2011, 08:04 PM
Professional firefighter is another name for a salaried firefighter, usually. Salaried meaning a member of a city fire department, vs. a volunteer fire company member who does not collect a pay check.

Steve

So I who have been trained to the same level and have been doing this for 25 years am not a professoinal because I do not get paid?

Bucket Head
10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Your training and years of service are irrelevent here. The question was what does professional mean? The word professional is used to help describe someones occupation. Your a volunteer firefighter? If so, your not collecting a paycheck from the department, right? So it's not your occupation. What do you do for a 'day job'? Thats your profession and you would be considered a professional there,...usually.

Steve

wiam
10-06-2011, 06:28 AM
Yes I do get paid when I am on calls. My point is alot of career firefighter look down on volunteers. We are all professional firefighters. Some are just part time.

Bucket Head
10-06-2011, 08:46 PM
"Talked down to"? Where in this post was a volunteer firefighter disparaged? I'm not seeing it.

Steve

wiam
10-07-2011, 08:11 AM
A career firefighter using the term professional implies that part time firefighters are not professional.

Greenwich Maple Man
10-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes I do get paid when I am on calls. My point is alot of career firefighter look down on volunteers. We are all professional firefighters. Some are just part time.

I think the wrong title is given here. By calling someone a non-professional (not saying anybody did) alomst is like talking down to there skill level. It should be fulltime versus part time. They all are professionals howevere some do it as volunteers versus those who do it as a profession or ocupation. When our sugarhiouse and barn burned 3 years ago we were thankfull they saved the house. Didn't matter how many hours they put in per week . They all deserve the same credit. Same as sugaring the guy with 10k taps is know more a sugarmaker than the guy with ten. Just my thioughts

Bucket Head
10-07-2011, 11:00 PM
It does'nt matter if your a firefighter or a prize fighter, theres always somebody in the crowd that talks to you like your an idiot. Just consider the source when it comes to that.

I'll tell you what, if I had something on fire, I would'nt care how long you've been a firefighter, if your a professional or amateur, full time or part time- whatever. If you showed up with a red truck that had hoses and water on it, I'd be pretty happy to see you.

Its takes a "special kind of stupid" to bad-mouth anyone who is employed or volunteers in the emergency services field.

Steve

jdgordon
10-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Wow, never thought this would happen. I actually was also a volunteer on my small local village Fire Department. I've listened to the Career vs volunteer bickering my entire career. It doesn't matter if we are plumbers, hair stylists, teachers, doctors, etc.. we are all equally valued by our communities.
I've been browsing this site for a while now. I've learned that there are many people on the site that experiences, trades, and ideas that are what makes this site worthwhile. For those that get it, thanks for the support.

Certainly if someone wants to put their shack next to the barn and use a method to prevent embers from risking the barn, fantastic!

I will delete my profile.

backyard sugaring
10-08-2011, 07:36 PM
I wish we could all just get along and talk about making syrup. We all have different ideas I boil in my barn, but i use oil. We need sap soon so we stop getting on each others nerves. I would not be an expert on wood never made one drop of maple syrup with wood. How many more months before we start?

Bucket Head
10-09-2011, 12:13 AM
There's no need to delete anybody's profile. Sometimes on here, just like other forums and in life, things are misunderstood, opinions differ and someone takes offense to a comment. We've all done it at some point. Then comes the moment when everyone realizes that nobody meant any harm.

Steve

GramaCindy
10-09-2011, 06:01 AM
Thanks for putting this post into perspective Backyarder and Buckethead. Things got WAY blown out of preportion here. I think we are all feeling the winter coming on, and still seeing that list of things that must be done…., AH, no one knows the STRESS of sugaring like we nutts!:o