PDA

View Full Version : Residential Kitchen Requirement? - Massachusetts

PapaSmiff
09-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I'm starting to establish the business part of my maple operation. I got my Federal Tax EIN and my Massachusetts Tax ID. I've got the application from my local town for a DBA. I'm working with the local building inspector to make sure I adhere to signage, traffic, and building code requirements.

But here's the thing that worries me. I've been investigating getting a Residential Kitchen license so I can make and sell coated nuts. So I started reading Massachusetts Food Code Regulation 105CMR 590. It seems to imply that I need a Residential Kitchen license simply to make syrup - since this license would be required for the preparation and storage of "any food product". Agriculture does not seem to be exempted, except for a Farm Stand with uncut fruits and vegetables.

Does anyone from Mass know how a Maple Syrup operation (with candy and cream production) is exempted from this Residential Kitchen license requirement? If I'm reading the Regs correctly, even if I do get the Residential Kitchen license, I may not even be able to make coated nuts because they are "hazardous" due to potential allergens. I think I'm the first person to open a Maple Syrup Sugarhouse in Longmeadow, MA, so the town officials are not familiar with these types of operations.

maple2
09-29-2011, 09:49 AM
we stopped making nuts because we would have to change all of our candy and cream labels to include warnings of nuts being prepared in the same kitchen. getting our home kitchen certified wasnt that big a deal. mostly common sence. also now we can make and sell other products.

PapaSmiff
09-29-2011, 10:12 AM
Paul,
But was the Residential Kitchen license required for you to simply make Maple Syrup, Candy, and Cream? If not, I'm wondering what regulation I can show to the local Health Department so they don't make me get one - if I decide to only make pure maple products.

Where in Western Mass are you?

I plan to make the cream and candy in the sugarhouse. If I make nuts, it will be in my home kitchen with different equipment. So hopefully, if I'm extremely careful about preventing cross-contamination, I won't need to worry too much about the Alert signs you mentioned.

Deerhill Maple
09-29-2011, 05:08 PM
I would check with MDAR. They told me that you needed a Residential permit for any confection, including candy. So where you make the candy needs to be permitted whether in your kitchen or sugar house. I wasn't advised any differently about the nuts other than the permit. The permit itself wasn't a big deal.

western mainer
09-29-2011, 05:19 PM
Here in Maine we were told to put in a 3 bay sink with 2 side bars,and a wash sink. Also how hot the water had to be.
Brian

maple2
09-30-2011, 06:41 AM
didnt need to be certified to make syrup. didnt for candy or cream, as lomg as we sold it out of our sugarhouse. to sell to stores and farmers markets, its a must have. list of ingrediants, i.e.pure maple syrup, must be on the label. our sugarhouse is in williamsburg

Bucket Head
10-02-2011, 12:06 AM
Western Mainer,

Why a three bay sink, did they say? And a wash sink, a separate one for hand washing use only?

Steve

western mainer
10-02-2011, 07:11 AM
Three bay is for wash, bacterial rinse, and rinse,and yes a hand wash sink. What I have seen, it depends on what part of the state you are in.
Brian