PDA

View Full Version : cold storage

Acer
09-25-2011, 09:59 AM
How cold is cold enough to keep cold packed syrup in good shape for 1 year?

Thanks

maple flats
09-25-2011, 10:30 AM
Cold packed? Don't know, but if you mean hot packed at 180+ then every few degrees colder helps. I've been told it is better to store it in a cool cellar than in a warmer location. Thus I am building A cellar under an addition next year for storage. If you actually store it in a freezer, it will not freeze but will never mold even if your canning practices were less than ideal, and freezer temperatures will preserve the flavor for years unchanged.

wiam
09-25-2011, 08:58 PM
If truely cold packed it would need to be in a freezer as it will mold tn a fridge.

danno
09-25-2011, 09:42 PM
I've never seen it mold in the fridge?

When I'm bottling, the syrup left that won't fill a quart goes into my fridge for personal use, so we usually have 2 or 3 partial quarts in the fridge, some of it's in there for quite some time - never loses flavor or grows mold in the fridge. At least in my experience.

Cake O' Maple
09-25-2011, 11:30 PM
I ended up with the last jar my dad had made before we left the U.P. of MI, where he had made syrup. I finally opened it and put some on pancakes, then decided it was too precious, and saved the rest to make into maple cream or candy (had no idea how it would go, but saw recipes).

Didn't get it done, and that open jar sat in the fridge for well over 5 years before it developed a spot of mold in the middle of the top, which stopped growing after it was about the size of a 50c piece.

This spring, I scooped off the mold, re-boiled it, and had it on waffles with my mother. (No, my mother wasn't a side-dish, she was company, you twisted people.)

DrTimPerkins
09-26-2011, 07:39 AM
If truely cold packed it would need to be in a freezer as it will mold tn a fridge.

Correct....cold packed syrup should be stored in a freezer. If it is stored for only a short (a month), refrigerator temp would be OK.

Haynes Forest Products
09-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Never crossed my mind Cake O Maple...........................Now 3rdgen and Ken their the twisted ones;)

danno
10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
This spring, I scooped off the mold, re-boiled it, and had it on waffles with my mother. (No, my mother wasn't a side-dish, she was company, you twisted people.)

Now, that's some funny stuff right there!!!! LOL

michiganfarmer2
10-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I've never seen it mold in the fridge?

When I'm bottling, the syrup left that won't fill a quart goes into my fridge for personal use, so we usually have 2 or 3 partial quarts in the fridge, some of it's in there for quite some time - never loses flavor or grows mold in the fridge. At least in my experience. we do the same here