PDA

View Full Version : Can moldy syrup be saved?

Maplehobbyist
09-24-2011, 08:55 AM
In my primitive operation of years past, my filtering of the finished product left much to be desired. Coffee filters work ok for straining sap but not so good for syrup. So at the end of the year, on my last batch, I'd grown so tired and frustrated with them, I didn't filter using them like I normally would because I planned on getting a proper filter. Well I didn't get a proper filter and I have a batch of syrup that has been sitting in a covered container in my kitchen since then. I know, I know, that's sacrilege and I should probably be banned from the trader for a while as punishment. Well, I found it yesterday and there is mold. To give me something to do during my banishment, can anything be done to save the syrup?

wiam
09-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Bring it to a boil. Skim foam off top. Then taste it. I have had some that was ok and some that went to Maple Grove.

Haynes Forest Products
09-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I have had some bottles that had a thin mold layer. I skimmed it off and used it. I find that the mold seems to grow its self out of existence. It only grows so far and quits. I have opened the cap scraped out resealed and used it months later. You don't need to boil it to stop the mold.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-24-2011, 05:55 PM
I have had some bottles that had a thin mold layer. I skimmed it off and used it. I find that the mold seems to grow its self out of existence. It only grows so far and quits. I have opened the cap scraped out resealed and used it months later. You don't need to boil it to stop the mold.

I I was reselling the syrup I would be sure to bring it to a boil and then refilter, just to be on the safe side. Alos be sure to check the flavor in case it is a little off. Never can be to carefull when selling a food pruduct.

Haynes Forest Products
09-25-2011, 12:42 AM
Well If you want to be totaly safe dump it all down the drain and stop making mistakes that can cost lives. Crap this is food we are talking about. Even if it saves one life isn't it worth it. I have seen people choke on pancakes that were a little off flavor so be carful.

maple flats
09-25-2011, 07:16 AM
I would skim it, then boil and skim again if you find any more. Then I would use it, I would not sell it nor give it away. Now yesterday I just discovered a sample bottle (8 OZ) setting on top of the hood, used to give out samples. It had molded and the surface of the mold had turned to dust. I never had seen any do that before and that partial bottle got dumped.

SeanD
09-25-2011, 07:24 AM
You can definitely save it with the steps wiam wrote. I'd only change the order a little. It's easier to scrape off the mold before reheating it - that is if the container is big enough to reach into.

I'm going to stick my neck out here a little and say you don't need to bring it to a full boil. If you get it between 180-190, that is hot enough to kill anything growing, but not high enough to create sand. Either way, check it again with your hydrometer in case you boiled off too much water.

Sean

Maplehobbyist
09-25-2011, 09:23 AM
I don't sell any syrup---though after spending a boatload on making an evaporator and rebuilding the sugar shack this summer I'm tempted to try to recoup some of the cost of this hobby---it's only for home use. I've only got about a quart left from this year, so when I saw the container with syrup in it from the spring, it was like finding an extra present under the Christmas tree. Then, when I realized it was moldy, it was like the present I'd just opened was a pair of dirty socks. And to top it off, since it was moldy through my negligence, it was like I wrapped the socks myself.

Thanks for the tips, if I can't get the syrup back to it's original condition, it goes in the trash. Don't want to poison the family.

Maplehobbyist
09-25-2011, 06:05 PM
Well, I strained out the chunks and heated to a bit over 180. Had a layer of solid white foam over the top when I took it off the burner. Probably should have strained that but didn't. Had a taste. Didn't notice anything odd. Had another taste: Dang, syrup is so good! Course, 20 years of smoking may have damaged some taste buds but it sure was tasty. I'll have the wife or daughter sample it in a couple of days if nothing happens to me. Filtered into the mason jars. Looks pretty clear. Took some pics. Realized I'm not a photographer. Took some more pics. Found some to attach.

3rdgen.maple
09-25-2011, 09:23 PM
If you read the label on manufactured jugs from sugarhill on the NY containers it says right on it that if mold develops skim it off and reheat it.

Hurry Hill Farm
09-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Syrup will probably mold in 7-10 days if not refrigerated. I tell hobbyists to get syrup to the right density and then freeze it in your family-use-size containers and then take it out when you are ready to use it. If it is too thin of syrup it will be frozen (like water freezes) and when it thaws, you should check the density and reboil if necessary. Otherwise, it will just be thick and runny. Mold will not grow on syrup in the freezer.

ennismaple
09-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Syrup with a little mold can be skimmed and makes great granulated sugar! Since it's boiled for close to an hour to get to 260 F it's completely sterile by the time it sugars.

markcasper
09-27-2011, 06:45 AM
One thing that hasn't been mentioned here. There is a huge difference if there is a 1" diameter of mold on the top, or say the container is 1/2 empty and there is 4 or 5"'s of mold on a half full container. Being that it was in the pot there was a lot more surface area of mold and the 1/2" immediately below that is usually crap.

I have seen vat fulls of molded syrup at various packers over the years and noone really thought it was a big deal, but is not something I like to see.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-27-2011, 08:09 AM
[QUOTE=markcasper;163460]One thing that hasn't been mentioned here. There is a huge difference if there is a 1" diameter of mold on the top, or say the container is 1/2 empty and there is 4 or 5"'s of mold on a half full container. Being that it was in the pot there was a lot more surface area of mold and the 1/2" immediately below that is usually crap.

I have seen vat fulls of molded syrup at various packers over the years and noone really thought it was a big deal, but is not something I like to see.[/QUOT

I hope Docotor Tim finds this and gives us the "proper" answer. Then we can lay it to rest.

DrTimPerkins
09-27-2011, 10:46 AM
I hope Docotor Tim finds this and gives us the "proper" answer. Then we can lay it to rest.

I was hoping to avoid this thread. :rolleyes: Not sure I can do much to lay this one to rest.....but here goes.

The "old" and oft-repeated way of handling mold was to skim off, reheat (to boiling), filter and repack (some don't heat to boiling and skip the filtering step).

There has been a gradual shift taking place moving away from this position over the past 5-10 yrs. Whether it is a real concern or just a CYA reaction is hard to tell right now. There isn't a lot of recent research on it (although some is currently being done at U. Maine, I hope Kathy Hopkins will give us an update during her presentation at the NAMSC meeting in late-October). Industrial buyers and consumers tend to have much less tolerance for contaminants of any kind, and there is a far higher tendency to err on the side of caution these days, particularly when it comes to potential allergens. Molds and other microbiologicals can produce allergens and (potentially) toxins which could be quite hazardous to people who are sensitive. There is no evidence to suggest spores can be killed and toxins rendered non-toxic simply by skimming, boiling and filtering. No evidence that they aren't either.

The result is that in some areas (including Vermont), the new maple syrup containers being produced no longer have the "skim, reheat, filter" message, but instead, if they address it at all, suggest that moldy syrup be "discarded".

So, if for your personal use, and nobody in your family is sensitive or allergic to mold or fungi, do what you want (personal opinion here -- not professional advice). If you're selling the syrup....my professional advice is to destroy any that is moldy. Basically....if in doubt, toss it out.

All the more reason to be very careful when you pack into a drum or into a retail container to do a VERY GOOD job of cleaning and hot-packing the syrup.

Haynes Forest Products
09-27-2011, 07:21 PM
So if low temps during hot packing can cause mold in the syrup doesn't that mean the spores are present already?

DrTimPerkins
09-28-2011, 07:48 AM
So if low temps during hot packing can cause mold in the syrup doesn't that mean the spores are present already?

Yes, or they are introduced during bottling. But it may be only one or a few spores, probably not enough to provoke an allergic reaction except in highly susceptible individuals. Spores can elicit an allergic reaction on their own, but mycotoxins themselves aren't produced by single, isolated spores, only during the colony phase of mold growth.

Boiling (not just hot-pack temperatures) will kill most vegetative microorganisms (mold colonies, fungus), but may not always kill all spores.

Fortunately good sanitation practices, hot-packing, and the low water activity of maple syrup (as long as it's packed at the right density there is not enough "free" water to allow very many organisms to live in syrup) make the problem fairly rare. Additionally, most molds are harmless (especially those that are common in maple syrup), and most people aren't terribly sensitive to mold, and most people unknowingly consume some mold fairly regularly. All that said, if I saw mold in my jug of maple syrup, I'd probably dump it out.

Packers will often make really defective syrup into sugar. The prolonged high temperatures in this process likely does kill all the spores.

Neat article about moldy maple syrup (with photos) at http://blog.mycology.cornell.edu/?p=184

Maplehobbyist
10-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Thought I would post an update.

Had the syrup on pancakes the other night for dinner. (The kids call it "brinner"--breakfast+dinner.) Both my daughter and I thought it tasted the same as any other real syrup. Didn't notice any odd flavors. My wife, who has a much better sense of taste than I, had a little taste when she got home and she said it maybe wasn't as sweet as normal but she noticed no unusual flavors. Nobody had any ill health effects later on, either. So I'm pronouncing the experiment a success and I thank all who contributed advice.

Flat Lander Sugaring
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
Thought I would post an update.

Had the syrup on pancakes the other night for dinner. (The kids call it "brinner"--breakfast+dinner.) Both my daughter and I thought it tasted the same as any other real syrup. Didn't notice any odd flavors. My wife, who has a much better sense of taste than I, had a little taste when she got home and she said it maybe wasn't as sweet as normal but she noticed no unusual flavors. Nobody had any ill health effects later on, either. So I'm pronouncing the experiment a success and I thank all who contributed advice.

ok going to do the same send you a pint and have kids n wife check it for me please
Thanks
FLS:o

Maplehobbyist
10-24-2011, 08:12 PM
ok going to do the same send you a pint and have kids n wife check it for me please
Thanks
FLS:o

Make it a gallon and it's a deal.:D