PDA

View Full Version : crystallization at bottom of jug

Birdland Sugarbush
09-24-2011, 08:05 AM
I'm going through some syrup we bottled this spring and I have a good 1/4" - 1/3" of crystallized syrup on the bottom.

I have the jug in a pan of water simmering on the stove to see if it will dissolve.

Two questions:
1 - how can I get the crystals do dissolve?
2 - how can I prevent this in the future?

Thanks,
Chris

Maplehobbyist
09-24-2011, 08:38 AM
Two questions:

Thanks,
Chris

I've done this same thing on a couple of occasions. I think this happens when you concentrate your sap too much and there is more sugar than the liquid can hold in suspension. The crystals are sugar. Add some water. Finish it like you would normally.

Are you using a thermometer to tell you when your syrup is done? From what I've read on here, they can be notoriously inaccurate, plus the temp at which your sap becomes syrup can change due to atmospheric conditions. So what worked in the morning won't necessarily work in the afternoon. Most people recommend a hydrometer, which measures density not temperature. I know I'm upgrading to one for next year.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-24-2011, 10:04 AM
I'm going through some syrup we bottled this spring and I have a good 1/4" - 1/3" of crystallized syrup on the bottom.

I have the jug in a pan of water simmering on the stove to see if it will dissolve.

Two questions:

Thanks,
Chris

If you use a hydrometer and test cup you should not have this problem. Again it has to be right on but it should stop you from having crystallized syrup.

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Skip trying to dissolve it. Just use the syrup as is. Its still great stuff just a tad thicker. Like said you need to use a hydrometer to get a consistant and accurate end product. What you have is over density.

wiam
09-24-2011, 07:14 PM
The crystals are like rock candy. My kids love them. I have tried to figure out how to make them reliably.

DrTimPerkins
09-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Are they large crystals like rock candy, or very tiny fine crystals? If the former, the syrup was packed too dense. If the latter, it is likely not crystals, but rather niter that settled out. Two very different issues.

Haynes Forest Products
09-25-2011, 09:15 PM
Dr Perkins my theory is that maple syrup density was based on the balance between making crystals and not making crystals. Now if your syrup is over density and makes crystals will it stop building crystals when it reaches the right density. I don't believe that it will keep depleting the sugar content in the syrup and make crystals.

DrTimPerkins
09-26-2011, 07:45 AM
Dr Perkins my theory is that maple syrup density was based on the balance between making crystals and not making crystals. Now if your syrup is over density and makes crystals will it stop building crystals when it reaches the right density. I don't believe that it will keep depleting the sugar content in the syrup and make crystals.

In general yes. Two main reasons for syrup having the density at 66-67 brix. One is to avoid/limit crystal formation. The second is to avoid/limit microbial (mold) formation.

lastwoodsman
09-26-2011, 07:53 AM
By how little do you have to go over 66/67 brix for crystals to form?
It appears in my experience it is not by much.
Is this correct?
Woodsman

mike z
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM
What brix do you guys go to 66 or 67?

Hurry Hill Farm
09-26-2011, 12:56 PM
Dr. Perkins is right on. Are they crystals (clear and hard) or sandy (settled syrup) - I always tell folks that IF they have crystals, use the syrup up and then put a small amount of boiling water in the jug and shake vigorously, loosening the crystals. Dump them out in a strainer and then pat them dry with a paper towel and enjoy them. And just think - you now know have Rock Candy and didn't even need to go to Niagara Falls to get it!! It's like getting the prize in the Cracker Jack box!!!!

ennismaple
09-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Anything over about 67.5 brix can sugar in time. The more dense it gets the faster this happens.

lastwoodsman
09-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Thanks Ennismaple--that is the answer I was looking for.
Woodsman

Birdland Sugarbush
10-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I think it's niter. I bottled in plastic jugs so couldn't easily tell what it was. I just broke up the layer on the bottom and they're fine, grey crystals. It still tastes sweet, but it has a slightly bitter aftertaste, so I'm thinking niter.

Thanks,
Chris

Are they large crystals like rock candy, or very tiny fine crystals? If the former, the syrup was packed too dense. If the latter, it is likely not crystals, but rather niter that settled out. Two very different issues.

DrTimPerkins
10-01-2011, 09:38 AM
I think it's niter. I bottled in plastic jugs so couldn't easily tell what it was. I just broke up the layer on the bottom and they're fine, grey crystals. It still tastes sweet, but it has a slightly bitter aftertaste, so I'm thinking niter.Chris

Sounds like niter. Is it gritty between your teeth?

Maplehobbyist
10-01-2011, 10:30 PM
...I just broke up the layer on the bottom and they're fine, grey crystals.

In my experience, which is rather limited, if I had to break-up the layer on the bottom, it was sugar. Niter stayed in suspension, it just collected at the bottom of the container. It would easily be dispersed throughout the syrup merely by stirring or shaking. But again, in my experience, the fine grey stuff has been niter. Sugar has generally been larger (like sea salt) and sort of translucent.

If they are sugar crystals, is the size affected by how far over density the syrup was made? So barely over would make small crystals and way over would make rocks?

Cardigan99
10-05-2011, 06:32 AM
Here's a chunk of sugar I pulled out of the bottom of a mason jar full of syprup from either the 2005 or 2006 season. I guess I packed that one a little too dense.

DrTimPerkins
10-05-2011, 07:55 AM
If they are sugar crystals, is the size affected by how far over density the syrup was made? So barely over would make small crystals and way over would make rocks?

No, size of crystals is determined by the amount of time they've had to grow (but they will grow faster if they syrup is severely over-dense).