PDA

View Full Version : Canadain Purchases

SIGNGUY
09-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Has anyone bought any sugaring equipment from Canada and had the Seller want your SSN # as part of the shipping info???

KenWP
09-23-2011, 06:58 PM
You have to supply the number so he can prove he sold it to you when he takes it across the border. If not the border gaurds figure he is spec selling and taking jobs away from Americians. Normal buisness practice nowadays with such high unemployment both sides of the border.

BryanEx
09-23-2011, 07:45 PM
Another tip for shipping is to use Canada Post or USPS because the broker rates are a fraction of what couriers like UPS want for cross-border shipments. Last order I compared was 5 bucks compared to 65 bucks as an example.

- Bryan

Bruce L
09-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I agree with Bryan about using USPS,as last time I got "stung" by UPS was for two calendars ordered as Christmas presents,value of $6.00 each for a total of $12.00,UPS brokerage fee -------$21.00!!!!!!!!!!!! Told the guy to forget it,came back two days later and said Merry Christmas,not worth the hassle to send them back.I have not used UPS since and never will again.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-23-2011, 08:59 PM
I agree with Bryan about using USPS,as last time I got "stung" by UPS was for two calendars ordered as Christmas presents,value of $6.00 each for a total of $12.00,UPS brokerage fee -------$21.00!!!!!!!!!!!! Told the guy to forget it,came back two days later and said Merry Christmas,not worth the hassle to send them back.I have not used UPS since and never will again.

UPS is way out priced. I ordered a deer plauque for a customer that wanted one last min. The shipping with UPS was more than the product. I now have all my shipping done Parcel Post. A 50 dollar bill with UPS is now 15 to 17 Parcel Post. Takes longer but you just have to plan ahead.

Brent
10-05-2011, 02:28 PM
We ship to the USA regularly, and any shipment valued over $2000. US
must have the importers taxpayer ID for US Customs. Even when we do the customs clearance on behalf of the customer in the US, they still want it.

This came into effect with the new Homeland Security nonsense after 9/11.
Bin Laden succeeded in ways he never dreamed of.

NH Maplemaker
10-06-2011, 09:33 PM
Yes, Before last season I purchased a vacuum pump from a company in Seattle Washington.
But the pump was just over the boarder in a ware house in Canada ! Long story short, It could not be shipped with out my social # or a tax ID number. JimL.