PDA

View Full Version : Ohio Deer Hunters????

3rdgen.maple
09-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Heres the deal. I have full access to a guest house a huge guest house in Portage county Ohio near Suffield. I do service out there for a company that purchased this house for various reasons along with guest to their business to stay at. I have been close friends with the owner for alot of years. Well I just got back from their and am wanting to spend some time in Ohio bowhunting. What Im am looking for is if there is anyone familiar with the area that has any advice on either private or state land. With over 4 months of deer season in Ohio and the cheap nonresident hunting license I am going to take advantage of the deal. So any advice out there to areas and what to expect?

Monster Maples
09-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Not sure of that area for hunting. I would go to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources web page and check it out for public hunting. Should be able to check and see how many were tagged in the area last year there too.

3rdgen.maple
09-23-2011, 01:03 AM
Thanks I did that yesterday. The numbers look good, everywhere I looked there was soybeans and corn fields when I was there this week. I looked at alot of pictures of supposedly Portage county bucks. Some nice deer. Whats the deal with the license? It seems that you need to purchase a hunting license and then buy your tags seperately? I see that they have a license fee an antlerless fee and an antler tag fee. How many tags does Ohio give out to one hunter. Not trying to go crazy with tags just curious. A buck and doe tag would be good for me as I have 5 I can fill here at home. I like the looks of all that farm land.

steve J
09-23-2011, 06:32 AM
Sign up for the hunting chat bulletin board I believe there is an Ohio section there. The board is very similar to this one lots of great information.

NH/Pete
09-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Sign up for the hunting chat bulletin board I believe there is an Ohio section there. The board is very similar to this one lots of great information.
I think a couple of the Hunting Chat members hunted Ohio last season.

maplekid
09-23-2011, 02:11 PM
im in portage county. about 10 miles east of suffield. lots of public land. check west branch state park. theres alot of land in maralboro township that is strictly archery in some areas. and there are some huge bucks out there. i live on the edge of about 400 acres of public land. well edge is an understatement,its all around me lol

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-23-2011, 04:38 PM
heres the deal. I have full access to a guest house a huge guest house in portage county ohio near suffield. I do service out there for a company that purchased this house for various reasons along with guest to their business to stay at. I have been close friends with the owner for alot of years. Well i just got back from their and am wanting to spend some time in ohio bowhunting. What im am looking for is if there is anyone familiar with the area that has any advice on either private or state land. With over 4 months of deer season in ohio and the cheap nonresident hunting license i am going to take advantage of the deal. So any advice out there to areas and what to expect?

heyyyyy buddy old pal!

KenWP
09-23-2011, 07:01 PM
3rd have you ever hunted with one of those pop up tent blinds. Do they work. I haven't got enough trees close enough to build a stand on thise year.

xyz5150
09-23-2011, 07:18 PM
KenWP

3rd have you ever hunted with one of those pop up tent blinds. Do they work. I haven't got enough trees close enough to build a stand on thise year.

I have works great for turkeys, but for deer so so you need something to camo the large shape. I always set mine up in a field corner where there is a large brush pile as the back drop works good. The first time i used one was in the spring turkey hunting wasn't to worried about them seeing it but the deer spotted it from a 1/2 mile away and got spooky now remember this is in the spring with no hunting pressure on the deer. I think the problem is the size and shape is so large its a big change in their environment. Kinda like when you come home from work and your wife has rearranged the furniture in your house. Unless you used your furniture for sap wood than you don't have to worry about that,:o

3rdgen.maple
09-23-2011, 10:10 PM
im in portage county. about 10 miles east of suffield. lots of public land. check west branch state park. theres alot of land in maralboro township that is strictly archery in some areas. and there are some huge bucks out there. i live on the edge of about 400 acres of public land. well edge is an understatement,its all around me lol

You are the one Im looking for lol. I drove around the west branch state park a bit, in the rain:cry:. Looked at maps of it and such. I am coming back out there to completly move a printshop to another location. Would love to meet up with you maybe you could show me around. You guys have a real short rifle season by the looks of it. About a week? Or did I read that all wrong? Im big on bow anyhow. Would love to meet you if you are up for it.

3rdgen.maple
09-23-2011, 10:13 PM
heyyyyy buddy old pal!

Yes Chumlee is there something you wanted? LOL

maplekid
09-23-2011, 10:18 PM
yes shotgun season is very short if i remember. ima big time bow hunter lol. only time i use a gun is in wv for deer season. pm me. if youd like some info.

3rdgen.maple
09-23-2011, 10:21 PM

Ken indeed I have and have taken deer out of it with my bow a few times. I think or atleast I believe that the key is to not carry it in with you and take it out when your done. Put it out well before deer season and let the deer get use to it in their enviorment. Atleast this is what I do. I got a little carried away with stands over the years. I have a combination of 20 ladders and hangons out right now and 3 climbing stands. I prefer being up 20 to 24 feet in a comfy stand but blinds do work. Not real big on the short ladder stands but I do hunt out of them a bit. The nice thing about the blind is my daughter has enjoyed many hunts in it with me. She has rattled and called in more than one deer over the years for me.

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-24-2011, 04:02 AM
of I prefer being up 20 to 24 feet in a comfy stand .

thats all? when I was big into bow hunting I was putting my home made stand at 32+ when the wind blew you would deffinately hold on:lol:

NH/Pete
09-24-2011, 11:13 AM
thats all? when I was big into bow hunting I was putting my home made stand at 32+ when the wind blew you would deffinately hold on:lol:

32' :o 18-20' works for me. Then again the deer around here still spend more time looking down then up.

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2011, 11:48 AM
At 32 feet all your going to have a shot placement at is the spine lol. Question I have is how do you draw your bow while hanging on for dear life while the wind is swaying you 3 feet side to side? I would love to see that trick:D

xyz5150
09-24-2011, 07:32 PM
3rdgen.maple

At 32 feet all your going to have a shot placement at is the spine lol. Question I have is how do you draw your bow while hanging on for dear life while the wind is swaying you 3 feet side to side? I would love to see that trick

At 32 ft You don't need a bow just drop the arrow.:lol: Yea i am a 18-20 ft guy myself i have helped my brother in law track enough deer shot through one lung at best from 30 ft to know i don't want to do that.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Yes Chumlee is there something you wanted? LOL

If I may be very rude and say I think Uh, Um Chumlee was looking for a ,:confused:invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::rolleyes:

SevenCreeksSap
09-24-2011, 08:13 PM
You are the one Im looking for lol. I drove around the west branch state park a bit, in the rain:cry:. Looked at maps of it and such. I am coming back out there to completly move a printshop to another location. Would love to meet up with you maybe you could show me around. You guys have a real short rifle season by the looks of it. About a week? Or did I read that all wrong? Im big on bow anyhow. Would love to meet you if you are up for it.

We dont use rifles in Ohio, they say its too dangerous, and seeing all the news about shot up houses in Pa, I'm ok with it. Never used a rifle, but always use a rifled muzzleloader. 50 cal and never need a second shot. ( lets dont start the argument about rifles vs shotguns) The gun season is always 1 week after thanksgiving but there are also some gun weekends and a 4 day primitive weapons ( muzzleloader-Bow) season now in Dec. The week has been changing so I dont know this year. Bow season started today and runs til Jan. Rut should start in a few weeks where I'm at. Thats your best shot with a bow when they're hot for some and not thinking of you. If you get around a city area-canton-Akron- Columbus ect, you can get extra antlerless tags and get maybe 5 or 7 total, but only one antlered deer per year, so make it count. Good luck.

heus
09-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Can't believe bow season started today. My brother's trail camera shows bucks still in velvet and fawns with spots.

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2011, 10:20 PM
If I may be very rude and say I think Uh, Um Chumlee was looking for a ,:confused:invite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!::rolleyes:

Oh Im well aware lol. I got to get things in order before invites come out. Already have 2 brothers 2 nephews and 4 friends claiming they are coming along. Yeah Im not going to press my luck the first time out and show up with truckloads of hunters to stay at this house. Wouldnt go over very well. Chumlee has a standing invite over to my place already for some racing that ended last month lol.

3rdgen.maple
09-24-2011, 10:26 PM
We dont use rifles in Ohio, they say its too dangerous, and seeing all the news about shot up houses in Pa, I'm ok with it. Never used a rifle, but always use a rifled muzzleloader. 50 cal and never need a second shot. ( lets dont start the argument about rifles vs shotguns) The gun season is always 1 week after thanksgiving but there are also some gun weekends and a 4 day primitive weapons ( muzzleloader-Bow) season now in Dec. The week has been changing so I dont know this year. Bow season started today and runs til Jan. Rut should start in a few weeks where I'm at. Thats your best shot with a bow when they're hot for some and not thinking of you. If you get around a city area-canton-Akron- Columbus ect, you can get extra antlerless tags and get maybe 5 or 7 total, but only one antlered deer per year, so make it count. Good luck.

Dont worry about the shotgun rifle debate. Here in NY its been a divided state for many years northern tier Rifle southern tier shotgun. Until recent years and even more counties this year rifle has been allowed in the southern zone. It not the weapon its the guy holding the weapon is what counts. Been bowhunting for 20 years and just love it. Tuesday is our opener for last years leftover tags for bow. Im getting pretty excited to come out to Ohio just for the thrill of the hunt. If I take a deer thats awesome if not Im going to have fun all the same. Thanks for the info.

KenWP
09-25-2011, 08:19 AM
Never used a shotgun for deer yet in my life.Not really been around a season for one.We have a muzzle loader season for does here but guys I know use a regular rifle and cheat. Almost impossible to find a place to hunt here as it is.I will try on my own property but it is going to be a chance as they don't seem to be coming thru like they have in past years. They say we lost almost half our deer herd last winter here.
I was in my 30s before I ever got a white tail deer as I only seen mules most of the time.Quebec dosn't have the hunting options I am used to back in Alberta as we are only allowed on deer tag for a buck and no elk and antelope to hunt.

802maple
09-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Oh Im well aware lol. I got to get things in order before invites come out. Already have 2 brothers 2 nephews and 4 friends claiming they are coming along. Yeah Im not going to press my luck the first time out and show up with truckloads of hunters to stay at this house. Wouldnt go over very well. Chumlee has a standing invite over to my place already for some racing that ended last month lol.

I know , I have the same racing invite too, just didn't have time. But I always make time for hunting in Ohio, been doing it for years, Forget about the old flatlander and move me up the list.
LOL

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-29-2011, 04:31 PM
I know , I have the same racing invite too, just didn't have time. But I always make time for hunting in Ohio, been doing it for years, Forget about the old flatlander and move me up the list.
LOL

ohhhhhh now your name calling,:o, calling me old there POPS:lol:.

3rdgen.maple
09-29-2011, 09:28 PM
LOL

Yes 802 your invite is standing as well. But I am thinking we might be on to something here. Maybe we should have a little hunting trip put together.
On the Racing side did you guys catch the comment post race by Stewart? The one about getting rid of access bagage? He was referring to his woman Jennifer Zemken. She raced for TSR here in NY in the WoO series. Well he dumped her and pulled the team out from under her. Looking like she might be in a supermodified at Oswego next year. I sat with her a couple times last year at the track as I am friends with her main sponsor. You know what they say, dont sleep with the boss lol. Now back to hunting. I am thinking that maybe since 802 is the Ohio expert Flats and I should get an invite :D

xyz5150
10-19-2011, 02:02 PM
This was just sent to me..... i felt compelled to share this with you all. The names have been changed to protect the innocent and laugh at, uh, er..well uh, just read it!

A group of friends went deer hunting and paired off in twos for the day. That night 3rdgen returned alone, staggering under the weight of an eight-point buck. " wheres Flatlander?" the others asked. "Flatlander had a stroke o' some kind. He's a couple of miles back up the trail," the successful 3rdgen replied. " You left Flatlander layin out there and carried the deer back?" they inquired. "A tough call ," 3rdgen nodded " But i figured no one's gonna steal Flatlander!"

3rdgen.maple
10-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Hey it was 802 idea when I called him on the phone and let him know Flats was not doing so well. I had full intentions of carying my buddy Flats out of the woods. 802 basically told me you cant eat a flatlander and you sure as heck dont want him hanging on the wall so I suggest carrying that buck out instead. Im not one to argue with a good wiseman like Jerry so I uh, er, well hastily agreed with him and left Flats behind. I was starting to feel a little guilty about it until the misses cooked me up some of the tenderloins of that buck for dinner and the thought totally left my mind. Sorry Chumlee Im sure going to miss you harassing me. LOL

802maple
10-20-2011, 07:12 AM
I didn't think you would ever listen to me, but finally. Well things come in time, 1 baby step after another. You did mark on the GPS where you left him so the family can find him if they want to, didn't you?

3rdgen.maple
10-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Oh crap, I will be right back in a few days with the coordinates. Do you think I should bring him some water while Im out there?

GramaCindy
10-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Not Ohio, but NW WI…. I took some fun pics this evening of some small bucks sparing