PDA

View Full Version : stainless lead free solder ??

wildoats
09-22-2011, 09:04 PM
This may be a real basic question, but I am looking to buy an evaporator and am confused by how pans are made and described. If evaporator pans are described as stainless lead free solder, how does that differ from newly manufactured pans described as being tig welded? How do those differences show up in terms of the ongoing operation and maintenance of evaporator pans? What year was the change in manufacturing made?
thanks for your help.

Sugarmaker
09-22-2011, 09:15 PM
Pans are being built as we speak with both lead free solder joints and welded joints. Its the type/ method of construction to close up the joints. Both will make great syrup for a long time. Most folks are going to welded pans but the lead free soldered pans are a good cost effective alternative.
Regards,
Chris
Keep asking questions.

wildoats
09-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Chris, one quick follow up question. Is what I have heard described as sugar sand more likely to develop on one type of pan over another?
thanks

Flat47
09-22-2011, 09:28 PM
Sugar sand is a by product of boiling sap, so the pan construction doesn't play into it. The amount of sand varies year to year, run to run, and even day to day.

maple flats
09-23-2011, 05:01 AM
As I see it the only difference is if you boil dry the solder will come apart and if on welded the pan will do any number of bad things but should not come apart. I have always had lead free soldered pans and had no problems. With either type you really can't let the pan run dry (nor can a spot foam up so bad that it boils dry in that spot).

Sugarmaker
09-24-2011, 08:25 PM
Wildoats,
These guys are right on the mark.
Pan construction joint type should not play into sugar sand. And keeping the pans wet ( some depth of sap in all areas, maybe minimum 1/2 inch) is the key to having them (pans) live a long time:)
Regards,
Chris