PDA

View Full Version : Raised flue/ drop flues

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-22-2011, 07:29 PM
I was wondering, what is better, raised flue, or drop flue? Does the raised flue drain out easier, and also, before I forget, what are the advantages of a DropTube, pan? I know alot of manufacturing companies make all of these.:) :):rolleyes:

Greenwich Maple Man
09-22-2011, 07:34 PM
I was wondering, what is better, raised flue, or drop flue? Does the raised flue drain out easier, and also, before I forget, what are the advantages of a DropTube, pan? I know alot of manufacturing companies make all of these.:) :):rolleyes:

Oh boy!!!! This is a loaded question!! All sorts of oppinions ! I do believe rasied drain better. Thats all I'm saying.

Jec
09-22-2011, 07:51 PM
I think drop flue gets better evaporation rates, but raised flue you can drain those easier. I like drop flue.

delta757and767pilot
09-22-2011, 08:44 PM
I disagree with Jec I believe that raised flue is better because you can reverse it and drain it and it looks cooler. :) hey Joey

waysidemaple
09-22-2011, 08:46 PM
I switched to a raised flue because I like the idea of being able to control both the syrup and flue pan seperatly. With a raised flue you can run the flue pan shallow and the syrup pan alittle deeper which I think makes the raised flue more efficent.

Scott

Flat47
09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I've read about how those who grew up with a side-by-side fridge/freezer end up buying over/under shotguns and vice versa. It's comical and only slightly true. I think it's the same with flue pans. I learned on a drop flue rig but prefer raised flues.

3rdgen.maple
09-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Stupid internal server error. I give up.

Flat47
09-23-2011, 07:19 AM
With a raised flue you can run the flue pan shallow and the syrup pan alittle deeper which I think makes the raised flue more efficent.

Scott

I've always run raised flues with the flue pan deeper. In my mind, a deeper flue pan less likely to have the boil killed if you get a big slug of cold sap in; and it gives you more hot sap to work with at draw-off time so that boil remains steady.

red maples
09-23-2011, 01:17 PM
I have a Drop flue which I love. never worked with a Raised flue so no opinion, but I do hear alot about foam tricking the float thinking the level is higher than what it actually is and burning the syrup pan, but maybe thats a rumor:rolleyes:. Every rig runs different and as far as efficiency it all depends on the operator with the loose screw and what he/she can think of to get the best boil. :twisted: :?:

Greenwich Maple Man
09-23-2011, 01:41 PM
I have a Drop flue which I love. never worked with a Raised flue so no opinion, but I do hear alot about foam tricking the float thinking the level is higher than what it actually is and burning the syrup pan, but maybe thats a rumor:rolleyes:. Every rig runs different and as far as efficiency it all depends on the operator with the loose screw and what he/she can think of to get the best boil. :twisted: :?:

I've had both. Never had a problem with the float on my raised flue evaporaters. But like you say each one is different.

Brent
09-23-2011, 01:52 PM
I just switched from a raised flue to a larger drop flue.

Got 2 syrup pans with it and was all excited about changing pans.

Then when assembling it I went looking for the valve that goes in between the pans. There ain't one. Called Leader, nope you can't put one in, not enough room. The only way to stop the flow between the pans is to put the plugs in .... in the take off box in the syrup pan. So you can't change pans on the fly. **&^%$ brilliant !

And as noted above, I used to like to be able to tweak the pan levels independant of each other.

2 cents worth.

xyz5150
09-23-2011, 02:02 PM
drop flue, only because after a few boiling sodas 1 float box is enough to deal with. Next year i will have a float switch on my head tank, ran that over once yep because of boiling sodas.:lol:

3rdgen.maple
09-23-2011, 11:06 PM
I just switched from a raised flue to a larger drop flue.

Got 2 syrup pans with it and was all excited about changing pans.

Then when assembling it I went looking for the valve that goes in between the pans. There ain't one. Called Leader, nope you can't put one in, not enough room. The only way to stop the flow between the pans is to put the plugs in .... in the take off box in the syrup pan. So you can't change pans on the fly. **&^%$ brilliant !

And as noted above, I used to like to be able to tweak the pan levels independant of each other.

2 cents worth.
Brent that is just the design of that particular pan. With todays evaporator evoling like they are there is no reason why they cannot extend the pipe coming out of the flue pan and between the syrup pans to incorporate a valve. Mine is the same way however and I would be having that resolved with a set of new plumbing with a valve but IM not keeping the setup long enough to bother. I use plugs and they really arent that bad to deal with but a valve would be better.

red maples
09-26-2011, 01:54 PM
yes same rig as 3rdgen. plug here too. a valvue would be so much easier, and less chance of burning my hand or spilling sap/ syrup!!! always have the catch pan ready!!!! :rolleyes:

3rdgen.maple
09-26-2011, 11:13 PM
Yep Red it is a great rig and Im going to hate to see mine go but it just cant keep up with the numbers Im throwing at it. My dad keeps telling me to buy another one and park them side by side but darn its hard enough running one let alone two.