just does not work.Need to install two 3/4" nipples . Would it be better
to make the hole big enough to insert the nipple and weld around it,
or butt up against a smaller hole? My welder thinks the latter would
be better, I think going right through would be stonger.The company
installation on the DomGrimm is so perfect, it is hard to tell how they
do it.Looks like it was flanged first?

Johnny Cuervo
02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Hello, take a look at my pictures; a stack pre heater does work on a small system. My flow rate (boil) is about 1 quart a minute. Once you have enough contact area you can lower the temp by removing springs on coils (see pictures). Just two important things always have sap flowing and remove coil before running out of sap. I use one flat pan, I boil and finish about 2 gallons a day. I would be glad to answer any questions.

cheesegenie
02-21-2006, 02:06 PM
Johnny, I guess I'll have to take back what I said about the copper
line.I can see from your pics that you are handy at bending the pipe.
Mine was wrapped around the 8" stovepipe and only touched where
it could, I did it by hand and created some kinks too.How did you
bend it?

Johnny Cuervo
02-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi I bent it with one of those cheap tubing benders from the hardware store it bends the tube around a slotted groove. I also read that someone took salt and finely ground it with a food processor, filled the tube, closed the ends and it bended without kinks??

VA maple guy
02-21-2006, 11:09 PM
cheesegenie, I ran 50 feet of 3/8 copper tubing around my stack for a preheater, it worked just fair, I then wraped the whole thing with a pice of ceramic blanket, and what a difference, I have to keep a close eye on it
as it will now boil in the pipe if i reduce the flow to much.
There is another type of tubing bender that works well. It looks like a spring with a flare at both ends. It slides over the tube and suports it from the outside when you are bending it. You can usually find them it the plumbing section at places like Lowes or Home Depot.

Gerry