PDA

View Full Version : my sap house was flooded during irene what should be done to clean it

farmer12071
09-18-2011, 07:05 AM
all my sugar equiptment was underwater during irenes flooding,tanks,evaporator,pumps,etc)what should i keep and what should go.the creek that flooded the sap house has no houses on or near it the full lank of it,i fish it from end to end,and have lived close to it my whole life,so im not worried about contaminates,just mud and sand,

bobbyjake
09-18-2011, 07:21 AM
Everything metal and stainless should be able to be cleaned adequately with elbow grease, dishwashing liquid, maybe a steam pressure washer could work easier. Evaporator - oil or wood? Either way, you may need to take the lining out of it and get it all dry and reinstall. Some arch boards wick water and some don't. Ceramic felt and such - same thing, some will hold/retain water and some won't as badly. Vermiculite? Sand? May be able to get the pans clean and put some water in them and just light some small fires and just keep everything at a low simmer for several rounds and drive any moisture out of the arch. Ash is acidic, acid with water will eat the arch up at an incredibly increased rate. Last thing you want is a place where the galvanizing (if the arch isn't stainless sided) is thin and then have the moisture make the "cancer" spread even faster. And you don't want a pile of wet sand to freeze solid this winter either.

If your sugarhouse is insulated or drywalled, you may need to get that out now before it molds in the walls, but since the vast majority are not, you probably don't have any concerns there. get a bunch of fans and move alot of air around to dry the place out.

Filter papers, filter aid, felts may not be salvagable, but those are small money relatively.

Good luck.

BryanEx
09-18-2011, 07:29 AM
If you do have any mold issues you can use this stuff to knock it down;

http://www.benefect.com/US_benefect/US_products_disinfectants.php

Benefect is very effective at killing mold but is so mild on the environment it doesn't even require a caution label on the bottle. We use this at work whenever we encounter a water leak in high-rise construction.