PDA

View Full Version : Forest Fires

Jim Schumacher
09-16-2011, 07:22 AM
How are you guys in the northeast doing with your forest fires. Its amazing how well we can smell the fires from the northeastern part of Wisconsin. I hope nobody has damage. Is it in a pretty remote area?

sk8heaven
09-16-2011, 08:12 PM
I am actually NW MN, but the area that is burning is the BWCAW - Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness - millions of acres of roadless, uninhabited forest. As such, there is no private land there, and it has not spread much outside of that area. Hopefully they will get it contained soon before it does spread outside that area. All that "NO LOGGING" edicts from Washington DC allows for large quantities of fuel to accumulate and then fires do get started and are allowed to burn to burn up the accumulated fuel ..... that was the case with this one and then the dry and windy weather came and spread it rapidly. Not very often I wish for rain, but I am now :)

red maples
09-17-2011, 07:35 AM
Sorry had to intervein ....you said northeast....thought you meant as in New England...thought I missed something had to go ask the wife. if there were fires somehwere. No way with a llt ehrain we've had lately.:emb::lol:

Greenwich Maple Man
09-17-2011, 03:39 PM
I am actually NW MN, but the area that is burning is the BWCAW - Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness - millions of acres of roadless, uninhabited forest. As such, there is no private land there, and it has not spread much outside of that area. Hopefully they will get it contained soon before it does spread outside that area. All that "NO LOGGING" edicts from Washington DC allows for large quantities of fuel to accumulate and then fires do get started and are allowed to burn to burn up the accumulated fuel ..... that was the case with this one and then the dry and windy weather came and spread it rapidly. Not very often I wish for rain, but I am now :)

One day we will have a fire like this in the Adirondacks. Huge tracks of "Forever Wild land" with know access roads. If one ever breaks out the state will wish they had log roads built to get in there. Logging is part of managing timber. People just refuse to accept it. Then again you are dealing with NY and it is mostly ruled by NYC. A very small part of the whole state.

maple flats
09-17-2011, 05:24 PM
For sure, where the forest to them is Central Park. With no logging a vast reserve of trash to burn builds up, then a careless camper or lightning touch it off and huge blocks of timber are lost. The land itself recovers faster than many realize but the timber is often of no value except the species that are able to protect themselves by having a fire retardent in or under the bark, such as many conifers do.