PDA

View Full Version : Leaves falling

Z/MAN
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
The leaves on most, not all of my maples are turning brown and falling off the trees. They should be just starting to turn colors in a week or so. We will not have any fall follage(spelling) here this year. Any thoughts on why this is happening and will it affect the syrup season.

Sunday Rock Maple
09-14-2011, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Sunday Rock Maple
I've pasted the test of an article from our extension office below --- wondering if others are seeing the same thing in your area (and if it will have any impact next spring....)?

We've had dozens of calls from people, and done some site visits to check on the problem this summer. The predominant culprit in this area is anthracnose, caused by the very wet spring. Should be very little influence on the 2012 sap season or long-term tree health.

heus
09-14-2011, 09:01 PM
My trees with huge amounts of seeds are the ones that have already lost much of their leaves. It was a big seed year in these parts.

Z/MAN
09-14-2011, 09:27 PM
My trees also had huge amounts of seeds this year and yes they are the ones going first.

valleyman
09-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Hi Zman
I'm experiencing the same leaf problems. Green to brown to foliage drop in southern CT too. Not on all maples but on plenty.

The meteorologists mentioned a blight, also blaming IRENE blowing salt spray well inland from the coast.

And thank you Dr. Perkins for re assuring me about your 2012 sap prediction and overall tree health.

Greg

red maples
09-21-2011, 09:36 AM
yeah there won't be a bright fall coloring from the sugarmaples this year!!! alot of brown and orange already with lots of falling leaves. my red maples had a fwe damaged leaves and a little drop off but are still very healthy and very green. a few little hints of red on the very tops from teh little cold snap but warmer tempd in the forecast should keep the sugar going!!!

Z/MAN
09-21-2011, 01:54 PM
Valleyman, My leaves were turning brown and falling before Irene arrived and if I get salt spray here in N.E. Pa we are all in big trouble.:lol: They seem to have leveled off on the falling in the last week or so.
Paul

adk1
09-21-2011, 02:45 PM
Leaves falling = better seeing deer!

Round Mtn Mapler
10-02-2011, 05:02 PM
seems like the leaves are not as colorful this year.

adk1
10-02-2011, 05:55 PM
I would definatly agree with you there