PDA

View Full Version : 2x8 minimum taps

SevenCreeksSap
09-12-2011, 08:39 PM
I know this goes against the grain of most sugarers (sugari ?) but give me some opinions on the least amount of taps I can run on a 2x8 flat pan setup.

Heres where I'm at-
Got a deal on brand new pans- 6 x 2ft divided rear pan and 2x2 divided draw off pan- was going to start smaller but decided to pre-upgrade-:o still building the stretched out oil tank firebox. hope it works.

Building to add blower under fire for next year but not this coming season because I think I may be in deeper than I know for now.going to go with no blower this year- have more wood than I can cut before it rots.

No RO- simplest setup this size- wood and sap

I was only planning on 50 taps but another thread subject got me thinking 50 may not be enough to feed this thing. I've read the formula so figuring average 6 hrs boiling, x 16 sq ft x ave. 1.5 gal/hr per sq. ft = need 144 gal/ per boiling session -

figuring average .75 gal sap per tree I would need to tap 192 trees to boil every day. Maybe 100 trees to boil every other day, but then need more storage. Am I even close on the math here?

I havent bought mainline yet and trying to figure all this out on the fly.:confused: Trees are no problem except they're all up a steep hill. definitely dont want to do just buckets.

The real question is not how many taps, but can she declare me legally insane?:o

delta757and767pilot
09-12-2011, 09:10 PM
Hey If I were you, I would get smaller pans than that. I went from a homemade evaporator to a 2x6 raised in one year and it was a huge step up. With only 50 taps you would be fine with a 2x6. I had 150 taps last year and it kept up just fine. you can get a used one for a pretty good price. Also you would have to spend tons of money on firebricks to brick that one you want to get.

waysidemaple
09-12-2011, 09:44 PM
Since its a completely flat pan setup I think 100 or less taps would keep you busy. If you get 100 gallons of sap a day and can boil off 25 gallons an hour you would be looking at 4 hour boils. It won't take much sap to fill your pans since your only running it with one to two inches in the pan with no flues.

Scott

Farmboy
09-12-2011, 09:57 PM
I ran 150 taps on a 2.5X8 last year. It was pleanty of sap. 80-100 taps should be pleanty so you don't run out of sap.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-12-2011, 10:34 PM
I know this goes against the grain of most sugarers (sugari ?) but give me some opinions on the least amount of taps I can run on a 2x8 flat pan setup.

Heres where I'm at-
Got a deal on brand new pans- 6 x 2ft divided rear pan and 2x2 divided draw off pan- was going to start smaller but decided to pre-upgrade-:o still building the stretched out oil tank firebox. hope it works.

Building to add blower under fire for next year but not this coming season because I think I may be in deeper than I know for now.going to go with no blower this year- have more wood than I can cut before it rots.

No RO- simplest setup this size- wood and sap

I was only planning on 50 taps but another thread subject got me thinking 50 may not be enough to feed this thing. I've read the formula so figuring average 6 hrs boiling, x 16 sq ft x ave. 1.5 gal/hr per sq. ft = need 144 gal/ per boiling session -

figuring average .75 gal sap per tree I would need to tap 192 trees to boil every day. Maybe 100 trees to boil every other day, but then need more storage. Am I even close on the math here?

I havent bought mainline yet and trying to figure all this out on the fly.:confused: Trees are no problem except they're all up a steep hill. definitely dont want to do just buckets.

The real question is not how many taps, but can she declare me legally insane?:o

If you have any thoughts on ever doing more taps then try and buy a flue pan as opossed to a flat pan. You would be miles ahead and save tons of boiling time.If you are going to be around 100 taps then go for it. But I would still spend the money and buy a flue pan. In the long run you will save yourself alot of money. Just a thought.

3rdgen.maple
09-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I will give you a scenario to compare. At one point I had a 32inch by 7 foot flat pan setup, dont ask..... Thats not the arch length thats the pans alone. The arch was shabby and in some spots flames shot out the side lol. On my best days and I mean my best days I could hit about 15gph on that rig. At that time I had anywheres from 100 to 150 taps on it and It was alot of work at times. So lets say with a decent arch and the 2x8 setup you average 20gph for a rough guess. If you pulled in 100 gallons of sap in one day your looking at 5 hours of boil time. Now how do you get that 100 gallons. If your limited on the 50 taps VAC. If you can get 75 put it on VAC. If you can get 100 taps put it on VAC. I like vac if you cant tell lol. With mid level vac i think you could pull 150 gallons on average runs out of 100 taps. 75 gallons on 50 taps, 115 gallons on 75 taps If vac is out of the question Stick 125 trees with taps and call it a day. These are rough numbers but in the ball park. One thing you can always remember is you can have to much sap but you can never have not enough. If you are overwhelmed pull some taps.

wiam
09-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I would not worry about some arbitrary minimum boil time. Last year I probably averaged 4 hrs/day. I made 400 gallons with a 2x6. Less time in the sugarhouse is not a bad thing. If you already own the pans then go for it with as many taps as you can get. I also agree with 3rdgen, tubing with vac is good:D

SevenCreeksSap
09-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Thanks for all the input, thats what I need. Looks like I need to adjust my plans for at least 80 taps. I already have the pans so cant change that and figured go big or stay home on the cozy warm lazy boy in feb. but why do that.
I see the idea of vac but already spending more than I need to this year already, maybe in a couple of years. I have easily 200 Maples of mine and almost unlimited virgin large trees on my neighbors, so I'm sure this thing will get bigger. Everything I have is up about a 5:1 slope so I'm trying gravity first, just need lots of mainline and collection tanks. the property was logged before I got it and the Amish guy left almost all the Maples 16" and less. Glad to say I'm maple rich which is what got me started in this.
I was using some of the numbers to figure and see if I was close on taps. Guess I'll have to teach her to collect sap in the woods buggy. Think I'll keep the tap increase to myself and give her a valentines surprise.;)

wiam
09-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I would try to build the arch so it could be adapted to use a flue pan in the future.

maple flats
09-14-2011, 05:01 AM
You need enough sap to concentrate for 3 hrs on the first boil if you will not be draining the pans into something that freezing won't harm. Your boil rate should be about 15 GPH, possibly slightly more. Figure you should have 50 gal sap for first boil. After that you can run shorter boils if you don't have enough sap but doing so will give you darker syrup. For your trees how many do you need to get early season sap of 50 gal? My guess is maybe 100 taps. If you can store the sap a few days and keep it real cold, like 35 max you could use fewer. With that many taps the good low days will give you fairly long boils, but very do-able.

adk1
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Yeah, was contemplating evap size when I first started out. wiht 120 taps I was figuring on the 2x4 flat pan setup. my trees are predominatly woods trees and not very big. I cant say as though I am not nervous with the amt of sap I am actually gonna get out of them.

mike z
09-19-2011, 02:55 PM
I have a 2.5X8 flat pan setup that I used for the first time last year. Put out 200 buckets. Worked out fine. If I were you I'd try and get 100 taps out. I ave. around 25 g./hr. Probably did better then that when the wife fed two days worth of wood in an afternoon. Should get her out splitting. But anyway, I think this is a good way to start into mapling. You'll have gained a lot of knowledge for when the "real" question comes around - 2x8 or 3x12 flutted? The stakes are much higher then.

smokeyamber
09-22-2011, 09:06 AM
My 2 cents, more storage and fewer taps. That way you won't get buried in sap and can fine tune your boiling times and how often you boil. I store my sap from my few taps for almost a week ( in a snowbank ) and then boil when I am ready. You can also add taps during the season. Just starting out the key I feel is to not burn yourself out. Sounds like you will be having fun either way ! Hope it runs well for you !