PDA

View Full Version : New Tank Set-up

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
I put two 15Gal. tanks above my evaporator and off to the side. I got fittings for the outlet, and i'm working on pipeing them down to the preheater tank. Wondering if I could make a support on the side of the Evap., and put copper pipe back and fourth above my pan, so that the sap would be even more preheated. Wondering if anyone has done something like this before, or should I scrap the idea for the fact that I dont have a hood?

Let me know what you guys think of the idea.

adk1
09-11-2011, 06:39 PM
For small evaps like that, I have actually seen pictures of people wrapping copper around their stovepipe and then emptying into their preheater tank.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
That's what I thought, but with this stove pipe it actually goes through the wall horizontally, before doing a 90* up and above the sap house. We got the Evap in kind-of a hurry, and didn't want to cut through the roof.:-|

adk1
09-11-2011, 07:01 PM
oh gotchya. that is the way GrandmaCindy had hers last year. Wont draw as well but still works from what she said. I have been contemplating on how to make a preheater for my 2x6.

SevenCreeksSap
09-11-2011, 07:28 PM
Im trying to figure out a tank setup too. Witht 30 taps do you thik 30 gals is enough? will you have to refill real fast? I'm shooting for 50 taps to feed a 2x8 and thinking it may drain a small tank pretty quick, but also thinking of a way to set up a larger tank - maybe 100 gal- above the evap. How high does it need to be? just above the evap? I like the idea of copper tubing for preheating.

adk1
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
a 2x8 for 50 taps is abit big dont you think? Idont know how many gallons of sap it will take to flood a 2x8's pans, but I bet it is close to the 50 gallon if it is a drop flue?

Greenwich Maple Man
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM
Im trying to figure out a tank setup too. Witht 30 taps do you thik 30 gals is enough? will you have to refill real fast? I'm shooting for 50 taps to feed a 2x8 and thinking it may drain a small tank pretty quick, but also thinking of a way to set up a larger tank - maybe 100 gal- above the evap. How high does it need to be? just above the evap? I like the idea of copper tubing for preheating.

I have a 2 by 8 raised flue. Six foot Max flue pan with preheater and hood. I'm running a Inferno wood fired arch under the pans. It is all Leader brand, and with GOOD dry hardwood I am getting 110 gph of sap. If you start putting in softwood or get off timing with firing it wil drop. But 110 an hour is more than doable with this setup. I figure 50 gals. atleast to flood the pans and shut down. I have a neighbor who has a standard wood fired arch no hood or preheater does have a blower and they said they run around 50gph. Hope this may help you out a little in making your plans for the upcoming season.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-11-2011, 09:31 PM
oh gotchya. that is the way GrandmaCindy had hers last year. Wont draw as well but still works from what she said. I have been contemplating on how to make a preheater for my 2x6.

Don't know were you are in the Adirondacks but you are welcome to look at my preheater. I'm in Greenwich NY.About 40 mins from Warrensburgh.

adk1
09-12-2011, 11:46 AM
thanks, if I am ever over that way I will take you up on it.!

SevenCreeksSap
09-12-2011, 07:21 PM
I'll have to keep reading old threads about 2x8 capacity and didnt mean to get this thread going in that direction but thanks for the input. I'm still wondering about a feed tank setup. Does it need to be very high above the evap pans? does it help if its higher, other than leaving space below for storage, or should it be closer and lower. I'm thinking for ease of filling from the transport vehicle, which may need to be done by the wife at times. Seems like a higher tank may have better flow, but you may only need a steady drip through that preheater setup.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-12-2011, 07:30 PM
I had that same question. But my tanks are only above the evap. by 2 or 3 ft., but they are off to the side so I could plan on a steam hood if needed. I'm thinking of pipeing the tanks to the preheater pan, but I thought if I get a hood, or not I could put a copper line system over the evaporator, and then down to the preheater pan/tank. This way the sap would be even =more warm, but I don't know if that would work without a hood.

3rdgen.maple
09-13-2011, 01:03 AM
My head tank is only 6 inches higher than my floatbox. Been that way for years and years and not 1 single problem feeding the evaporator. As long as its higher it will drain into the pan. My head tank is 250 gallons if I remember right. It might be 300. Who knows its big lol.

adk1
09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
You have any pics of this setup?

3rdgen.maple
09-14-2011, 09:28 PM
Who Me? I et asked all the time for pictures. Smeday I will take a few hours and take some. Whenever I have time I would rather be doing something else.Heck Pierre called me 3 days ago and I still havent called the guy back yet. Busy time of the year.