PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel and Chipmunks

Greenwich Maple Man
09-10-2011, 09:16 PM
New thread question. I have been shooting as many squirrels as possible in one of my sugar woods. They have done a ton of damage in the last two years. My question is do Chipmunks bother lines as well? I have never seen them chewing on them so was not sure.Any thoughts? It is a rather fun job!!!!!!

Sunday Rock Maple
09-11-2011, 08:58 AM
I think the answer is yes, but nothing near the extent of squirrels. We had a very big problem years ago and it was a large factor in deciding not to put tubing back after the ice storm on 98 (it's been 2,300 buckets since then). We are putting a wet/dry system in this year and so we've been in the woods a lot and I've only seen 1 squirrel all year. Perhaps there has been a population crash, or perhaps it is that we cut off 95% of our evergreens (mostly hemlock) about 7 years ago and their food source is gone. Another factor could be a den of foxes that we have been pretty much leaving alone for just that reason. I've heard (but not tried) that salt blocks can also help.

Good Luck!

Brian

Mark
09-11-2011, 02:50 PM
I don't think Chipmunks bother my tubing at all. I usually don't touch any tubing with bare hands and don't wash with bleach with dries to a salt. My mainlines are insulated at the ends and side ties. I run a electric fencer on the mainline wires to prevent damage from larger animals like bears.

KenWP
09-11-2011, 07:36 PM
I have to send you guys my cats.Squirrel and chipmunk problems solved. Plus any grouse you have also. I have't seen a critter this year yet. Now if I can figure out how to get the ones that get in my chicken feed bags inside I will be set.