PDA

View Full Version : Sap Sacks

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-09-2011, 04:34 PM
How many of you guys use sap sacks for trees spaced out from each other? I looked at them online, and thinking about getting a few for the trees not to far from the sap house. :). Wondering how they work.

RileySugarbush
09-09-2011, 06:22 PM
I think they work great. On big trees that can be double tapped I use a drop line to the sack for the second tap.

adk1
09-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I have one holder and one sack. Bought them just cause I wanted to see how it worked. I like them. For the trees that I will not have on tubing, I will probably use the drop into bakery buckets though.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-09-2011, 06:56 PM
Im gonna buy 5 of them with sacks so I can use them on some trees that I dont run tubing to.

adk1
09-09-2011, 07:00 PM
sounds like a plan. You can do a search for sap sack and there are tons of posts regarding them.

3rdgen.maple
09-09-2011, 09:17 PM
Theres an add for the holders from Jim at http://www.sugarbush.info/classifieds2/index.php

SapZilla
09-09-2011, 09:55 PM
We love using them. They sure beat the heck out of washing buckets. It is a bit of a shame to keep throwing bags away though. I always feel a bit of guilt seeing them in the dump at the end of the season. Too bad they can't be recycled...

3rdgen.maple
09-09-2011, 09:57 PM
Could they be taken to a local grocery store that has plastic bag recycling bins out front?

Butch
09-10-2011, 07:10 AM
Hey guys (not Haynes, haha): anyone ever thought about pulling the wine bags out of a wine box and somehow hanging them as collectors? They already have a nice valve for emptying and seem sturdy - just teasing Haynes about the food grade issue - is booze grade close enough?

Thanks for any feedback...

3rdgen.maple
09-10-2011, 11:23 AM
I used food saver bags for a couple years and they worked very well. Just sealed the top and bottom then took a food grade soldering iron and melted a hole in the top of one side and slipped it over the tap. I had a slit in one side at the top for pouring the sap out.

Rhino
09-10-2011, 04:27 PM
We put out 1000 sap sak holders, work good. Few weeks ago i got 3 inch drain tile and made up 565 sak holders from it. Cut each piece 4 1/2 inches long and used a 1 1/4 hole saw to put the hole in. With the ridges on the drain tile the zip tie will never sneak off, super easy to cut and drill. With a zip tie after season snipping the bag off will be a breeze. I got the roll for $40.00 (20 cents a foot) and i can get another roll, After seeing how fast i can make them up i will snatch it up also. Same idea as the pvc holders but like i said, easier to cut, drill, and allready has the pre molded ridges to hold the bag with a zip tie. Also, i put a 1 1/4 hole in them because we have so many extra different style plastic taps we don't use anymore, that i wanted to make sure the hole is big enough for any style we grab from the buckets.