PDA

View Full Version : Another Drop flue question

red maples
09-09-2011, 08:47 AM
another Drop flue question. OK I have 2x6 Patrick Phaneuf...yeah yeah don't go there.

4 ft flue pan 2 ft syrup pan, for the front of the flue pan right as the arch starts to rise right behind the firebox, how much space between the bottom of the arch and the flue pan is there right in that front section there.

Reason I ask is that it seems like there is too much space in mine there seems to be about a foot at least right there in the front. before it goes up.

just wnder what some of the drop flue evaps spacing is in the front of the flue pan?

red maples
09-10-2011, 12:18 PM
;kjasdfflkjhalsfdiuhjfiaugrf

red maples
09-10-2011, 12:19 PM
there try it now!!!????

Haynes Forest Products
09-10-2011, 06:36 PM
when I did mine I went with the size of the flues. So if the flues are 10" deep then you want 10" of space for the heat/flames to get up into the flues. You don't want restriction but you want all the heat.and flames to be directed up under the flue pan ASAP.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
09-11-2011, 06:41 AM
Brad,

I have a 2x8 with a 5' flue pan and mine ramp ends at the end of the syrup pan. Mine would be the same as yours if I had a 2' syrup pan. Reason it is that way is because the firebox needs to be that big for better combustion and more wood space. If your firebox was a foot shorter, it wouldn't hardly be big enough to maximize the evaporator capability.

red maples
09-11-2011, 09:26 AM
Brad,

I have a 2x8 with a 5' flue pan and mine ramp ends at the end of the syrup pan. Mine would be the same as yours if I had a 2' syrup pan. Reason it is that way is because the firebox needs to be that big for better combustion and more wood space. If your firebox was a foot shorter, it wouldn't hardly be big enough to maximize the evaporator capability.

I under stand the fire box I don't wanna make that smaller, just shorten the distance from the front of the flues the bottom of the front of the ramp. like Haynes said my flues I think are 7 inches deep but front of the ramp is 10 inches from the flues and the top of the ramp hits I guess 3/4 of the back of the flue pan.

my fire box is 24 inches deep. so it is the whole length of the syrup pan.

Haynes Forest Products
09-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Red Maples I go with what WestV is saying about the firebox/cumbustion chamber needing to be big enough. Is this the arch that the pans came with........if so how did it work for the other guy. If when things are up and running you tweak the back ramp area you could do it with some bricks and fire blanket. does the arch have AOF?

red maples
09-11-2011, 07:47 PM
3rdgen has the exact same rig as I do and he said he played around with it the same and he said he let it go back to the stock and took out the extra layer of bricks but I am gonna try it anyway. Its not going to make the firebox shorter by any means. its will still be 24" deep I don't put any wood back as far as up the ramp/ arch anyway. I Am just gonna put a loose layer there and if I don't like it I can always take them out easy. I just might put a bead of refractory cement there just so they don't slide down. So we'll see.

3rdgen.maple
09-11-2011, 09:43 PM
Red if I was you I would try it also. Even though I did and just put it back doesnt mean you cant come up with a better scenario. I just didnt like how it took away from the boil in the back and made a much harder boil in the front where the sap already shoots out the tops of the pans. It just seemed to lose gph. We all now weather conditions can effect the way an evaporator boils and it could be that I just hit a bad few days when I was messing with it. I dry fitted bricks on the ramp. I even messed with trying to get a turbulance of sorts there as well. But I also have a tendancy to load wood partially up the ramp as well. You might find it works better the way you boil than the way I do. Just let us know how it works out in the end.

Brent
09-15-2011, 04:28 PM
I think Patrick uses the same arch for a raised flue and drop flue. I had the raised flue. On this he had an extra peice of sheet metal to make the slope steeper and force the heat up earlier into the raised flue. I also used longer wood and it piled up on the ramp a bit. But I had air injection from above all the way to the back of the ramp. I kept the layer of archboard under the flues to with about 1/4".

So I think with the drop flue the top of the ramp would intersect the flues about 10" or so back. You could fiddle that easily by making the top row of bricks full or half thickness, but I don't think it would be easy to interpret the difference in boiling .... to many other variables.