PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Russia

bison1973
09-08-2011, 11:42 PM
Does anyone know how you would go about shipping to russia? I don't know where to get started with this.

Oh, and this would be on a pallet (close to 800 pounds of maple syrup). How would one ship this?

3rdgen.maple
09-09-2011, 12:37 AM
Probably would have to go to Florida and be loaded on a ship in a crate and sent overseas. The export tax is going to kill you and any profit if you dont add that into the equation. I think the only way around that would be to send it in boxes through fedex or another carrier. Shipping large quanities over seas is a whole new ballgame. I ship printing equipment out in containers to china, Brazil etc and it all goes into a container on a tractor trailer to Florida and then loaded on a ship. The export tax on 1 container is upwards of 10 grand plus cost to get it there. Now all this isnt maple syrup but I imagine the process for that quanitiy is similar. 800 pounds is about 72 gallons of syrup. So Im guessing you are looking at getting 4 grand for the syrup? I can check the numbers with the carrier we use. Just need to know the numbers. Im thinking the cost to the russians if you do it right would be over 125 dollars a gallon and most of that goes to shipping and taxes.

CBOYER
09-09-2011, 05:48 PM
I have ship mechanical parts some years ago to Russia, DHL is the best way to go, they are very good for east country.

bison1973
09-09-2011, 09:27 PM
I would be shipping 14 five gallon jugs. It sounds like it's to some kind on liquor company. Obviously, I'd have to get payment first, correct? I mean I just don't think it's worth the risk otherwise. They mention a purchase order in their order request. Below is what they told me I need to do to sell to them:

Please note the list of the documents required by the Russian customs:
1. Contract in two languages - English and Russian.
2. Proforma Invoice.
3. Airway bill.
4. Packing list.
5. Export declaration (copy).
6. Letter of product guarantee. It should contain the following information: "‘Sternitzky's Grade B Maple Syrup is neither special foodstuff, organic product, biologically active additive, flavoring agent, aromatizer, food additive nor raw materials for its production. Sternitzky's Maple Syrup is a drink, an object of direct consumption, it doesn’t contain genetically modified ingredients. The production date of the Sternitzky's Grade B Maple Syrup is_______. The expiration date of the Sternitzky's Grade B Maple Syrup is___________ ’.This Guarantee Product Letter must be signed and stamped by your company.
7. Label (two sides) in pdf or jpg format.
8. Certificate of Analysis, Chemical composition, Material safety data sheet – all signed and stamped.

The following documents are not strictly obligatory but recommended by the customs in order to facilitate the customs clearance:
 Health certificate.
 Certificate of quality.
 Certificate of origin.
 Phytosanitary certificate.
These certificates must be delivered by a 3rd certified party. It would be very good if you could provide at least one of these papers, Health certificate or Certificate of Quality would be especially appreciable.

I would like to do it. But it all seems a little confusing having never shipped there before. Obviously they would have to pay all shipping cost and taxes. I would expect that.

3rdgen.maple
09-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Well the airway bill boils it down to shipping via plane. All my shipping overseas is paid 100 percent in full before it leaves my warehouse. That being said if they do not have someone representing there company in the US to get Us funds from it could take weeks for there checks to clear as well. Seems like alot of work but once you get through the first one the rest will be easy. I dont deal with food so those request are not the norm for me. And dont forget to insure it either. If the shipment is lost or damaged you are responsible for refunding money or replacing the product. Insuring it through the shipper is a must.

bison1973
09-09-2011, 10:00 PM
so where do I even start to get going with this? they want a total cost from me.

3rdgen.maple
09-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Since it is shipping via air I would be contacting your Fedex, UPS, DHL etc local represenative. And not the local store. Call them and ask to speak to a shipping rep. Tell them your needs and they should be pointing you in the right direction. I have never shipped by air frieght its all gone to florida through customs and in to containers loaded on a ship. The only proof of anything I need to supply them is that any wood used being pallets or bracing is kiln dried. Then they inspect the container and seal it. Proof of confirmation that it has shipped and a seal tag number. You should also consider contacting your states food and health department and your states producers association for leading you down the right path. If theres anything sketchy (not applying there is) careful opening up a can of worms with the phone calls.
a packing slip can be made by you or the shipping compay can also supply you a copy to put on the package and for your records.
The airway bill would be from a shipping quote with insurance included from the shipper.
Export declaration? I think this would be a receipt from the shipper that is was paid and sent to confirm that it was indeed shipped and exported.
Letter of product guarantee, well you got me by the shorthairs on where or how you would get that one, Fda inpesction? Dont know.
Label well thats straight forward.
Certificate of analysis, I think your syrup would have to go to a lab and be tested and the be confirmed as to what the makeup of the syrup is along with an material safety data sheet which would have nothing on it unless you might have a lead issue.
Health certificate? Dont know maybe go to the doctors and get a physical lol.
Certificate of quality? Check with your state producer organization.
Certificate of Origin? Again maybe the state producers organization.
Phytosanitary certificate? Probably a certificate from a health inspector after they inspect your operation.

Confusing for sure. Hope this helps but man that seems like alot of legwork. Like I said I have never shipping a food product overseas in that volume so use my words as thoughts and when the russians comes knocking on your door dont hold me accountable. lol

bison1973
09-10-2011, 09:52 AM
3rd gen, thanks for taking the time. I'll just start by calling UPS and see where it goes.

3rdgen.maple
09-10-2011, 11:18 AM
3rd gen, thanks for taking the time. I'll just start by calling UPS and see where it goes.

No problem I know your fustration I have been down that path in the past. Like I said when you get through it the first time the rest are easy. Good luck.

KenWP
09-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Do not take payment in Russian currency also.Been that route and you loose a lot in the transfer to your dollars. Make sure its in good old US dollars.

3rdgen.maple
09-10-2011, 11:05 PM
Well Ken you should have priced it accordingly for the exchange rate.

paul
09-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I`m sorry but we don`t ship out of the USA. We get quite a few request to ship syrup to different countries and that`s always our answer.

KenWP
09-11-2011, 07:57 AM
It isn't the exchange rate. Turns out banks charge extra to do Rubles as they are hard to get rid of. So if you go by the exchage rate you get screwed.

bison1973
09-11-2011, 09:42 AM
3rdGen, I went on UPS.com and got a general shipping quote. It was pretty easy.The only thing I'm concerned about are the other taxes and fees you mentioned. The UPS quote does not show anything like that. How do you find out what those are so I can add that to the cost of the transaction?

Correct me if I'm wrong but any tariffs or fees that would be assesed (in this case by the russian gov't) would be on my syrup when it enters the country, correct? These would be paid by the business buying my syrup, correct?

I'm just asking because i dont see how those would eat into my profit. It would just add to the price of my product to the buyer?