PDA

View Full Version : combination arch/barbecue

oldboyscout
09-08-2011, 09:17 PM
I got a nice 2x3 evaporator last spring and need an arch for it. At the same time I've always wanted one of those fieldstone backyard barbecue fireplaces. Can I combine the 2? I tried a search here but can't find anything like it.
can't find a photo of one, but something like this

Bucket Head
09-08-2011, 09:48 PM
I don't see why you could'nt do that. You might want to line it with firebrick though. You will be burning a pretty hot fire in it, for long stretches at a time, and I'm thinking that will take a toll on the stones. Maybe you could employ some archboard to insulate the fieldstone also? That way, your investment and craftmanship won't be ruined. I'm no mason, so hopefully some others on here will chime in with what they know about stone/block/cement BBQ construction. Good luck with it.

Steve

oldboyscout
09-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Thanks for the reply. My other concern is that the take off and valve are on the 3' side, so it would be a LOT easier to put the 3' side across the front and go only 2 foot deep towards the chimney. I know that's opposite how an arch usually is, but with a plain old pan would it matter?

BryanEx
09-09-2011, 07:21 PM
There was a post about a duel purpose arch in the past... evaporator and bread oven I believe. Some brick was moved around to change between each set-up but both seemed very cool.

Bucket Head
09-09-2011, 08:41 PM
No, I don't think it would matter. It might be better that way for when you are using it for other purposes, like actually BBQing some food. You would not have to reach so far back/over when tending to whatever your cooking- it would be closer to you.

The only down side to that way would be the 'large' area that would be created where you would put the firewood in. Instead of the narrower opening, you would have a somewhat wider opening- where you will lose heat. Years ago when we boiled on concrete block arches, we always had a large piece of metal we put up in front of the fire. That kept some of the wind from blowing around so many ashes, and more importantly, it held more of the fire's heat in and under the pan where it was supposed to be. Maybe you could fashion some sort of makeshift "door" to put in front of the opening? Maybe just a piece heavy gauge sheet metal- something you could just flop over on the ground, load some wood in, and then stand it back up infront of the arch? Not tight up against it- leave the bottom out a little bit from the arch for draft. I think theres a picture of our "early years" set-up in my photobucket pictures- with the metal pieces leaning up against the blocks.

Steve

oldboyscout
09-09-2011, 09:46 PM
hadn't really thought about loading or a door. 3' wide would make it difficult.
If I close off the front and leave a door like a woodstove it will be hard to distribute the fire. I could use a plate the whole width that would slide up and down in a channel on either side...

Bucket Head
09-10-2011, 10:43 PM
This is where a syrupmaker's ingenuity comes into play! We are a pretty creative bunch! Its all part of the fun. There's no right or wrong way with what your doing. You just have to figure out what way will work best for you. Post some pictures of the BBQ/arch when its complete. Maybe your ideas and design will help another syrupmaker with his backyard project somewhere down the road.

Steve

wiam
09-11-2011, 02:27 PM
The only drawback I see is where do you bbq when you are boiling?:lol::lol: