PDA

View Full Version : Hey VT - MDOT headed your way!

Flat47
09-07-2011, 04:59 PM
I thought these were pretty cool:
Maine Department of Transportation (MDOT) sent crews and equipment to Vermont yesterday. Link to tv story: http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/171794/3/DOT-sends-crews-to-help-Vt-clean-up-storm-damage

Also, there is an Incident Management Team from the Maine Forest Service in Rutland. Link: http://vtdigger.org/2011/09/03/green-mountain-national-forest-3/
. I know those guys, so you've got some good help there.

Glad to see neighbors helping neighbors.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Leave it to the Mainers!!! Great state and great people. Good to hear some good in this world. Wish NY was like Maine.

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-07-2011, 06:26 PM
awesome many thank you's go out to every one helping us here in VT. We lucked out here where I live but like news casts show they didn't in other towns.

western mainer
09-07-2011, 06:26 PM
Ya, to bad we didn't have money to fix our own roads.
Brian

Flat47
09-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Wish NY was like Maine.

Uh oh. I sense unrest.

Since FEMA is involved, that greatly eases the ability to mobilize resources. The Maine Forest Service has a standing agreement with the federal government which allows for critical incident personnel from the state to be utilized nation-wide. This is usually for wildland fire purposes, but provisions within the National Response Plan allow for fire resources to be pulled in for national disaster use, such as the Space Shuttle recovery, Hurricane Katrina, etc. I'm not sure about MDOT, but I imagine the federal disaster declaration plays into it.

As far as New York goes, they have a similar agreement with the feds for fire resources, and therefore all-risk stuff like Katrina. New York has a top-notch Incident Management Team (IMT) (mostly FDNY personnel, I think) formed after 9/11 that routinely mobilizes nation-wide. New York is also part of the Northeast Forest Fire Protection Compact (check out nffpc.org for more) that acts like a mutual aid resource pool. So, don't dispair. Aid is out there.

Flat Lander Sugaring
09-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Ya, to bad we didn't have money to fix our own roads.
Brian

I'll take a sh**y road any day compared to what happened to the State of VT.

just saying

3rdgen.maple
09-07-2011, 10:11 PM
I'll take a sh**y road any day compared to what happened to the State of VT.

just saying

Heck Id take a ****ty road in NY anyday if it helps Vermont. Oh wait our roads are already ****ty. Oh well the thought is what counts right?

NH Maplemaker
09-07-2011, 10:22 PM
New Hampshire has sent DOT crews to Vermont also. The state shed in my town is empty
of truck and equipment that have gone to help!! JimL.

Flat47
09-08-2011, 05:38 AM
New Hampshire has sent DOT crews to Vermont also. The state shed in my town is empty
of truck and equipment that have gone to help!! JimL.

I wish they'd put more of this on the news, because that's the content that's actually news-worthy. For Vermont, Tropical Storm Irene is still playing out, even if the storm clouds have past. But, for the media - it seems like they have a "it's over and done" attitude.

802maple
09-08-2011, 06:53 AM
THANK YOU MAINE AND NEW HAMPSHIRE!!!!! I hope we never have to return the favor but if we do I am sure we will be there.

Lukie
09-08-2011, 07:41 AM
I work for Maine D.O.T and we are all glad to help out in this.The goverment will pay the state of Vermont and then Vermont will pay Maine so this will not cost Maine a penny and we will probably make a few freinds :)