PDA

View Full Version : Wednesday

Jay
02-19-2006, 10:24 AM
Hope to get started Wednesday here in Greene County, looks like I might get a little sappin weather Wed-Fri but long range says cold for the next week.......hope it changes. Jay

Jay
02-21-2006, 07:11 PM
I think I am going to hold off a little longer :? This is my first year tapping up at the farm (100 miles N of where I live) But last year I kept a log and I didnt tap down home until 03/01 and I had a small run on 3/5 & 3/6 but on 3/7 & 3/8 I had great runs. I know that was last year but we will see. Jay

Jay
02-27-2006, 07:17 PM
Just checked the 15 day on Accuweather, only 1 day in the 40's up to 3/13. How much longer? Jay

Jay
03-04-2006, 08:41 PM
Looks like game on,I am going to start tapping Mon. Looks like good sappin weather through next Wed or so.

Jay
03-07-2006, 07:58 PM
Well, I plan on being up at the farm by 6:00am tomarrow (Wednesday) and hope to have it all tapped by about noon. Hope it does not turn into a disaster somehow, the last 4 years down at home I only did 30 taps now I jumped to 315. Went through my tubbing on Mon and fixed a few spots had some close calls with trees coming down with all the wind we have been having but none on the lines. So I guess I will know tomarrow. Jay

Sugarmaker
03-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Jay,
Thats a big jump 30 to 315 taps. Are you selling your sap?
Chris

Jay
03-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Chris,at first I was going to but then the guy who delivers the mail has a 3X10 and we worked out a deal for 50/50 syrup split with the sap that I bring over. I think its going to work out good until I get my place set up,plus he is alot closer then the guy I was going to sell the sap to. He was down 300 taps this year due to the catipillers so it kinda works out. 4:05 I am walking out the door. Jay

maple flats
03-08-2006, 04:44 AM
I also plan to continue tapping today. So far about 170 done, 130+ to go. May not finish it all because I was fixing tubing yesterday and have more to go. Went around about 10 days ago and fixed all I found but now I have more. Looks like deer, it id chewed tubing all in areas where deer can reach and almost none where only squirrels or mice could get to. Chew marks look like flat cuts about 3/16-5/16" wide, with some spots completely destroyed to the point where it stands out from even 15-20' away. Might need to get neussance permits for the problem. Really makes little sence because we have had little or no snow cover during this period. Maybe they are trying to get me to leave thier home.

Jay
03-11-2006, 11:39 PM
Because of a tree down I had to fix some line on Wednesday and there was a bad roll over with a tanker on the NY state thurway so I had to go 84 to the Teconic which took an extra 45 min or so, I got 90 pails and and 1 main line done, on Thursday by 4:00 I had the last 25 pails up and the other 2 mains done, because my tank was uneven by about 5 or 6 inches and it looked like the sap was going to run all Thursday night I took out 100 gals so it would not end up on the ground by Friday morning. On Friday I was happy I took that 100 gallons out because it would have been all over. I ended up with 450 gal and tested 2% which is about the norm for the trees up around here, collected 150 today and again sugar was running 2%, had a few trees that were testing 3 and 3.5 % on pails. Its funny this sap thing on Wednesday & Thursday the trees on the farm were running real good but 6 miles away at my uncles, his 500 + taps were hardly running. i guess it was the wind, he gets a different wind over there then we do. On Monday I have to refine some things clean the big tank and pick up and rehang some pails that the South wind took for a ride, hope to get some photos up for you guys to see. Hope everyone stays well, Jay :lol:

Jay
03-28-2006, 11:55 AM
This Wednesday will be 3 weeks, when I collected yesterday (Monday) my pails are starting to get cloudy. When I collect today I will start to pull the pails that are clouding up. Tubbing is still clear up in woods all my pails are road side or field trees that get way more sun. Sap has been testing 2.4 the last few runs.

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-28-2006, 02:23 PM
Jay,

If you get a good freeze for a couple of days, everything should clear back up for 2 or 3 days anyway. :)

Jay
03-28-2006, 06:31 PM
WVM, I thought the same but its only going to get around 30 tonight and tomarrow night and then no freeze I think until Sun or so and I think the damage will be done by then :cry: . Jay

mountainvan
03-29-2006, 06:25 AM
jay, a couple years back same thing, real warm thought season was over. went to california, came back and it was snowing. made syrup for at least another week. the fat tree has'nt sung in the Catskills yet.