PDA

View Full Version : Tapping in fall???

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Any one know about making syrup in the fall. I've heard of it, but don't know if any one around really does it. I heard it was a thicker stronger syrup. Just wondering. Don't think I'll be makin' any fall syrup though! :rolleyes:

BryanEx
09-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Any one know about making syrup in the fall. I've heard of it, but don't know if any one around really does it. I heard it was a thicker stronger syrup. Just wondering. Don't think I'll be makin' any fall syrup though! :rolleyes:

From what I recall of this discussion in the past... The sugar content was less, the volume was less, and the season was shorter, plus you could not tap the same trees in the spring making it financially un-viable. Possible - yes.

3rdgen.maple
09-06-2011, 09:25 PM
Done it and wont do it again, well okay maybe I would just not any time soon. What I can tell you is the sugar content is less, sap runs are unpredictable, it is short lived. What I found to be the most fustrating is the weather, until you get the first frost you wont get a drop, with the days shortening theres not as much run time during the day by the time things thaw out. I did it all on buckets. Like said do not tap those same trees in the spring. Oh yeah plan on cutting twice as much wood as you do for the spring sap. If I was retired I would do it again. Why its called fall tapping is beyond me its more like early winter tapping. I did leave about 10 taps out through the winter to see if they would produce in the spring or if they would heal over or plug up with bacteria and darn if those taps didnt run as good as the fresh taps, they just were the first ones to close up. If I had the time I would love to run a whole section of a few hndred taps with check valves on high vac for both seasons and see how they faired out. I think they would fair out pretty good but how much stress that would put on a tree I dont know. Now birch tapping after maple season, will never do that again.

Bruce L
09-07-2011, 11:40 AM
A producer east of here tried this for a couple of seasons,nabbed the Christmas market with fresh syrup.However he found the cons outweighed the pros----1.-Getting colder instead of warming up you have to watch your sap tanks,buckets,tubing,especially pans for severe freeze-up,2--Most importantly of all he started losing trees as he ws robbing them of their winter storage of food that was on it's way to the roots for the winter

KenWP
09-07-2011, 07:27 PM
Wouldn't be any storage of food by the time you fall tapped.The leaves are gone and the tree is dormant. Your useing the same sap that you get in the spring. Trees run sap anytime there is the right conditions fall,winter or spring.

red maples
09-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Yeah I tapped 4 trees just to what would happen and it was just as 3rdgen said. but those trees did run in the spring but after first few warm up they shut down pretty quick about 1/2 way through the season. also on buckets.

Birch waste of time, wood and energy. you get a lot of sap which is the fun part but you need 100+ gals for 1 gal syrup and sorry but it is really an aquired taste I think...didn't like it at all. maybe good for cooking for things that need mollasses but I will stick to maple.

spud
09-08-2011, 08:38 AM
If you go to Proctor Maple Research Center web site and type in Fall Tapping they have researched this. I found the results to be very interesting. One large operation was getting .25 syrup per tap in the fall. This did not effect his spring sugaring at all using the same trees. It's a real good read and i think anyone interested in fall tapping should take the time to read it. Fall tapping is not for everyone but some could benefit from it.

Spud

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
09-08-2011, 09:21 AM
I went to the web site mentioned, and read some of it. I thought it was a neat article, although I don't think I'll be tapping in fall. I like being out in the winter and spring time any way. This fall is time to split and stack wood, and update the sap house.;)

spud
09-08-2011, 08:05 PM
I am going to tap a few trees this fall just for fun. I just want to see how much sap per tap i get. I don't plan of fall tapping my whole woods anytime soon. Although i can't help to wonder how much syrup could i make on 3000+ taps.

Spud

3rdgen.maple
09-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I am going to tap a few trees this fall just for fun. I just want to see how much sap per tap i get. I don't plan of fall tapping my whole woods anytime soon. Although i can't help to wonder how much syrup could i make on 3000+ taps.

Spud

If you dont put it on vac dont bother. OKay maybe I shouldnt say dont bother. The thing is every fall could and will be different and more so than tapping in the spring. In the Spring its almost a guarantee you will get atleast one run lol in the Fall theres no guarantee if you will get even one. ALot more variables invovled with the weather. You might find that you have a decent fall tap and then the next few years nothing. If you got the time go for it. Just dont tap those trees again in the spring. The article you pointed out is just that an article. The last paragraph summed it up leaving alot of unanswered questions about tree health. Also If you are robbing the tree of sugar in the late fall how much will be left in the spring? I would have to think that what you get in the fall you would lose in the spring and without any studies shown on the health factors of the trees being retapped or "reamed" in the spring, I know my trees wouldnt be the guinea pig in that study.