PDA

View Full Version : Above ground root cellar.....

red maples
09-04-2011, 06:22 AM
So I think I am going to build an above ground root cellar. For storage of maple syrup, home canned goods veggies, etc all the usual stuff

I live in a low area and an under ground cellar is out of the question it would flood too easily!!! an I just don't have the room in the basement to do it.

So I have been looking on line for different cheap options and found something pretty neat. I guess out west its becomeing more and more popular(although would want any kinda wind storm/ tornado coming my way or big bad wolf LOL) but people are building houses outa straw/hay bales. they are stacked up brick style then coated with type of mortar. Seems like you need some sorta water proof footing concrete or so then leave the floor gravel to get the natural cooling/ heating from the ground you can add on a regular roof to it. and people are acutually building houses out of it. Pretty neat.

SO I think I am gonna look into this I think as long as the mortar holds and water doesn't get into the hay it should work just fine!!! Then I would have a place year round to store my syrup and won't have to use any refrigeration and veggies will last longer!!!

GramaCindy
09-04-2011, 07:36 AM
Very interesting. We have some friends in the Phoenix area, and their house is built out of something called "slump block" if I remember it correctly. Maybe just be sure that you place it somewhere there is some wind protection from another building. Let us know how it goes.

C.Wilcox
09-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Red, I'm no contractor, but straw bale building can be a tricky business. I looked into it myself for quite a while and ultimately decided that there were two main issues with it. One, it can be a bear to meet code and you'll likely have to hire a structural engineer to prove it out if you live in an area where there are code requirements. Two, moisture is your worst enemy. The reason they use them out west so much is beause it's an arid landscape and the humidity isn't generally as high. I'm sure you get some serious humidity over in the NE just like we do here in the Midwest and for the particular project you're talking about you'll actually want to keep high humidity in the building if you intend to store any vegetables in there. Not saying it can't be done, but it may be a structure that requires more maintenance that you were hoping for. All that being said, I did see a straw bale structure that was simply bales stacked up in a square on a raised platform and then wrapped with chicken wire to lock it all together-no siding, no stucco coating. It had some simple homemade trusses for the roof (which extended pretty far out from the walls) and the owner was using it as a chicken coop. He knew it was probably going to fall down in 5 years, but seeing as how it only took him a few dollars and days to build he was fine with it.

NH/Pete
09-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Here are a few interesting ideas.
http://www.survival-spot.com/survival-blog/build-root-cellar/

red maples
09-04-2011, 12:12 PM
I just a have a quick minute. Thx pete I will check that in a bit. it wont be that big fairly small and it will cost less than $1000 so no building permit required( at least thats the stipulation for my town). Just looking for something big enough store my stuff. I am not a big producer by any means so max 100 gallons of syrup if I ever get to that point. but a few shelves and a little space probably 8X8 (exterior dimmentions) that should be plenty of space!!!

maple flats
09-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm currently building a cellar under a small addition which will use the cooling idea in a plan by Mother Earth News from several years ago. It is referenced in the link by NH/Pete above. The cellar will be 10 x 14 with 4' of the 14 being a stairway and a hoist system. I will have a door at one end with a hoist on a trolly to raise and lower bbls of syrup. In the cellar it will be foam insulated and I will have 2- 6" round ducts, one high and the other originating high but ducted to just off the floor. To cool it I'll just need to open both vents, cooler air will fall in the low duct and warmer air will flow out the top. The cellar itself will have an insulated door separating it from the stairway area. Being underground most of it's height should keep it rather cool to begin with. I'm hoping to see max temps at under 55. Time will tell.
Just like Red Maples, I am trying natural storage ideas to maintain the best syrup long term.

3rdgen.maple
09-04-2011, 10:13 PM
I have a friend who lives in a little village in the UK. I hire him to come here and help me install some specialty equipment in the printing business and I was quite suprised that he told me he actually lives in a house that was built more than 100 years ago that is made out of straw and cow manure. Said the hole village is made that way. After much conversation about it he concluded that they are indeed very nice inside and not what you would expect, of course he reinforced the "it doesnt smell" after some harrasment on my part. Claims the stucture is as solid as a rock. Must be I guess it was built over a 100 years ago.
Your first thought might be man this guy must be poor but its quite the opposite, he collects old classic cars and races his own multiple road coarse race cars. Travels all over the world.

OneLegJohn
09-18-2011, 05:42 AM
Wouldn't a refrigerated shed be just as easy? Some 3" foam board and a modified window air conditioner and I understand 30F is attainable.

peckfarm
09-18-2011, 07:49 AM
I bought some trees at a nursery that had cold storage sheds. They had taken some freight shipping containers and just piled earth/fill over the whole thing. Since then I have seen several other similar cold sheds in our area. They could also double as a bunker if needed.

red maples
09-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Wouldn't a refrigerated shed be just as easy? Some 3" foam board and a modified window air conditioner and I understand 30F is attainable.

Too expensive...I want this to be more off the grid hay bales are $5 each Foam board not very cheap, and Air conditioner running all summer $$$$ to much money. + I have to get one of the thermostat over ride things also not very cheap. want this to be Cheap and off the grid. at least thats the plan if it takes a little more time thats fine!!! Other wise I would just buy a big fridge!!! and plug it in wheres the fun in that????

I have seen 1 that was framed out and piled with soil. thats pretty cool but thats alot of soil that I don't have!!!

wiam
09-18-2011, 09:06 AM
Do you have a bank? I dug a hole in a bank and built a 8x10 room out of hemlock 4x6 log cabin style. 6" as vertical. 2" styrofoam around top on outside then heavy black plastic around that all the way to bottom. Then backfilled 3 sides almost to top. I had some odd structural foam panels that got pieced together for the top. I built this in Feb and ran a heater in it for about 2 weeks, after that it stayed above freezing. My RO and permeate tanks are in it with my 525 gal raw tank on top. With a dirt floor it is very moist in there. I was planning on storing syrup in it off season but have kept door open to keep RO dry. I am pondering concrete for floor?? You are welcome to come see.

red maples
09-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Pretty flat here!!! I am in a low point too so it kinda tough. still going with the straw house for me. most ecconomical and most sensable if it rots out in a few years oh well. But still wanna try!!!

markct
09-19-2011, 02:35 PM
i think my that you are missing part of the idea of a root cellar, its that it is supposed to be a cellar, ie in the ground, so that it takes advantage of the natural coolness of the earth, thus no refridgeration is needed. if its above ground its just a well insulated building and likely wont stay very cool i dont believe

red maples
09-19-2011, 05:02 PM
yeah it will as long as it is shaded and there is enough open ground it has to have a dirt floor thats the trick I have been doing research. I would love to have an under ground root cellar but the way my property is designed it will never work!!! so I have to go with the alternate.

markct
09-19-2011, 08:21 PM
sounds like a plan then, cant say i ever realy looked into it just kinda an assumption, i have been thinking of getting a concrete precast tank like a septic tank or oil water seperator tank and burying it and using that to store barrels of syrup in next year