PDA

View Full Version : Off to a good start.

emericksmaple
02-18-2006, 07:14 PM
Tapped tues and wed and boiled wed, thurs and fri and made 132gals of fancy syurp. Finished up tapping the last 900 today in the freezing cold. To anyone putting up new tubing it is well worth the investment to make all of your droplines out of 4-seasons or equivlent tubing. Even in the cold today the droplines were flexible and easy to work with. Looks like we may have another decent week in front of us; as of now though it is 3 degrees outside and the wind is blowing bout 20-30 mph.

Breezy Lane Sugarworks
02-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Just out of curiosity, what has your sugar content been running around?
And what are the red maples looking like? just wondering, because I have read that a few people said they have seen signs of some buds opening. I hope not though, cause I haven't tapped yet but probably start next weekend though. I'm thinking that it'll be late enough that the holes will stay open a while.

emericksmaple
02-18-2006, 08:46 PM
Sugar content is running 2% which is normal for us. As for the reds they are puffed out like they are budded but down here they are not even close. We prob only tap less than 100 in with our 4800. We do have a couple close here at the sugarhouse and they seem fine.

sweetwoodmaple
02-18-2006, 10:02 PM
Matt - see you were a celebrity again on Friday. :wink:

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
02-19-2006, 01:49 PM
The 30p makes good drop lines also. :wink:

Way to get the season started Matt! :D

sweetwoodmaple
02-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Well, got the power run to the sugarhouse tonight (vs. 12 ga extension cords). The 10 GA wire is laying above ground until it thaws, then will put it in the trench. Have to hook up two 250 watt lights and the vacuum pump.

Still have to plumb up the float box to the stainless tank, then get about 300 taps worth of 5/16" lines up that have been laying on the ground since last seasong.

Then, it's tapping and checking for vacuum leaks.

Doubt I can have all this done by Wednesday, so looks like I'll miss Run #2 around here. :x Work has been too busy, so I just can't get the time off. 8O

Chris - Are you ever going to get tapped in the near future up in Albion? (Saw your comment about March 1, that might be accurate!)

Crazy days...

Jim Brown
02-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Tapped on Friday Feb 10th(350 on tubing) had first boil on saturdayFeb 18th. Cold as a witches heart in the sugar house temp outsie was 5. Brought off 5 gallon of grade 'A' medium.
waiting for the next run.

Sugarmaker
02-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Brian,
Darn work thing is cutting in to my maple time. I may try to tap tomorrow, although it still looks like there will be a week of cold weather again after Thursday. March 1 is still looking the best.
Several producers in Erie and Crawford county made 20 + gallons of syrup during the run last week. I was going to tap today but to busy at work and the weather was still very cold.
Brian sounds like you have a lot of work to do. Hang in there. One local syrup maker says the best way to get ready is to go tap, Then you "have" to get ready. First year we were moving into the new sugarhouse I was monkeying around with all kinds of small stuff, and Mike, our grandson, told me that I better get things ready to make syrup. I stepped back and realized that I didn't have to have everything done and proceeded to get the trees tapped and we went to making syrup, with a gravel floor and no lights. He was right. Just need to dive in and do it. If you have trees to tap and a place to boil it your pretty much ready.

Regards,
Chris

emericksmaple
02-27-2006, 05:37 PM
We had a real good run on Sat. We gathered 6000 gal of sap off of 4800 taps. And produced 140gal of beautiful Fancy syrup bring our total to 380 thus far. The guys in the middle of the county just started to tap last week and only one or 2 has boiled. Looks like we may get a run wed - thurs.

Jay
02-27-2006, 07:11 PM
Matt, push that weather up here to the catskills!!! Glade to hear your off to a good start!! Jay