PDA

View Full Version : I'm thinking of getting these security cameras.

Revi
09-01-2011, 09:22 PM
I am thinking of getting these security cameras:

http://www.securitycamerasandmore.com/swann-security-4-channel-dvr-2-indoor-outdoor-cameras.aspx

They are a dvr system, and I think they might work to keep honest people honest.

Anyone know anything about security cams? I think these plug into a regular TV, and will store only the footage when the motion sensor is tripped.

What do you think?

Greenwich Maple Man
09-01-2011, 09:30 PM
I have two untis I use for this. One is a 12ga.pump for close range and the other a 30-06 for longer range. Works great and you don't have to plug them in.Sorry to be a smart guy but I couldn't resist.

GramaCindy
09-02-2011, 05:06 AM
I am thinking of getting these security cameras:

http://www.securitycamerasandmore.com/swann-security-4-channel-dvr-2-indoor-outdoor-cameras.aspx

They are a dvr system, and I think they might work to keep honest people honest.

Anyone know anything about security cams? I think these plug into a regular TV, and will store only the footage when the motion sensor is tripped.

What do you think?

Hey Revi, A sad post for sure, but I guess it's necessary. :mad:

Have you considered using a simple "trail cam?" There are some that are cammoflaged pretty good and use infared so NO FLASH. Once the thugs would see a flash, they'd be up that tree to rip it down.
Or does the camera you linked send the photos remotely somehow to your tv?

GramaCindy
09-02-2011, 05:07 AM
I have two untis I use for this. One is a 12ga.pump for close range and the other a 30-06 for longer range. Works great and you don't have to plug them in.Sorry to be a smart guy but I couldn't resist.

:evil:
Good one Greenwich Maple Man!

Revi
09-02-2011, 06:59 AM
I have a trail camera set up, along with another camera system. We have been attacked over 6 times, so I've done a lot of stuff. I have the shotguns, but I really don't want to shoot anyone. These security cams look like they might help. I have an idea who it was. He's in jail for strangling his girlfriend. I have no idea why he targets our maple sugar shack. I want to be ready for when he gets out.

adk1
09-02-2011, 08:25 AM
that is unbelieveable that you ahve been robbed 6 times! Maybe you should just have a security system installed if possible? Do you have any motion detector lights on the outside or anything?

Revi
09-02-2011, 08:45 AM
We weren't robbed 6 times. We were vandalized. Shot up with a bb gun, a pellet gun, a high powered rifle and a shotgun. We haven't had any problems since I installed 2 security cameras, put a bulletproof box in front and installed a security light. It also helps that we tell the cops about anything that happens and tell them about the creeper that is in and out of jail. They haul him out of his drug induced stupor and talk to him. This new camera system may be another step we need to take. I've also fenced off the whole front of the land and put up a bunch of signs.

adk1
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
Oh gotchya, yeah, that would definatly provide the proof! Hopefully they leave your tubing alone if you leave it up!

red maples
09-02-2011, 03:17 PM
I am gonna try my trail cam in more place but so far its not good enough to read liscence plates so I might need to step up a little more $$ as well.

3rdgen.maple
09-02-2011, 09:23 PM
I did the trail cameras thing at camp for some vandals that were messing with my camp. I put thes things up in the trees with a ladder. It worked great till they got shot to crap by the vandals. Oh well lesson learned.

KenWP
09-03-2011, 05:57 PM
I had 150 pigs per barn stolen for months and when I took and checked the cameras I found out they were fake and no one had told me this. Took me a lot of work to stop the them from walking away but I got it stopped.

Butch
09-06-2011, 08:39 AM
Revi - I was the security officer for a community bank for about 15 years. I had 5 separate buildings each with independent security systems, including multiple cameras, alarmed areas, covert cameras (hidden in fake motion sensor devices), etc all controlled from my desktop and visible from my screen - so yes I know a little about security systems. To answer your questions:

The system you referenced does not have a screen; you can likely hook it to your laptop or other PC for viewing the dirtbags.

Don't waste $$ on trail cams - due to your serious situation you should spend a few bucks on a more serious system and view and record remotely if your budget will allow.

The cameras you referenced are infrared, thus allowing pretty good "night vision" - although with limited distance.

The motion sensing feature is great, saves disk space and time searching for pix/video of dirtbags, which you will want to be able to transfer to mobile media such as DVD/CD ROM or thumb drive to give to police.

Call me if you want more (free) advice - I would be glad to help.

Butch
231-564-1120

Revi
09-09-2011, 05:01 AM
I will definitely get in touch. This is exactly what I wanted, which was to get info from someone who knows security systems. It's hard trying to keep the creepers out nowadays. We have had a game cam for a while, but it always needs batteries, malfunctions at times and can be seen easily and avoided. They just scratched up the lexan I put up over the windows and I reported it to the cops. Next time I would like to have a little footage to show them.

Maple Hobo
11-02-2011, 06:33 PM
If you only have 2 cameras, set them up to watch each other near the area they are entering. You will get proof footage from them destroying a camera on the opposite camera. Most of the time they attack the cameras when they find them. Make sure your recording point is secure and as protected as possible. Hidden someplace secure inside a building is prefered. They can follow the video wires to them if you don't conceal them too. Some wireless cameras might solve that issue. If you put a blinking light like a bicycle light on a bait camera they will usually look at the light and you get better identification picture sometimes.

The real issue is how much do you want to spend to deture them from your property. Short of aressting them, your trying to make them want to find something easier to mess with then your property.

Some securuty companies have a camera trailor that can be parked on site to monitor it for a while. It has security lights and 360 degree cameras.
A low wage security guard can go a long way too. They don't have to be posted dedicated ON SIGHT sometimes and a drive through property check can help show activity on the property.

Odds are its going to be someone pretty close to the property like a neighbor (often youth) who feel some level of rights or ownership to the property already.