PDA

View Full Version : Good Book

Studhauler
08-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Someday I would like to try my hand at making maple syrup. Can someone recommend a good book to read on the subject. I have zero experience.

Thanks

waysidemaple
08-31-2011, 04:06 PM
North American Maple Producers Manual.
http://leaderevaporator.com/p-120-north-american-maple-producers-manual-book.aspx

Scott

ALSMAPLE
08-31-2011, 04:08 PM
North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual has everything you could need.A little pricy but well worth it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/North-American-MAPLE-SYRUP-Producers-Manual-1996-Book-/310342329816?pt=US_Nonfiction_Book&hash=item4841d825d8

cut and paste this for a used one on ebay ,not the latest addition.I don't think there's many changes.

maple flats
08-31-2011, 04:17 PM
That older version will get you started. Many improvements and changes have occured in the maple world but that will not affect the basics. To get started you just need the basics.

SapZilla
08-31-2011, 06:00 PM
That should more then get him started. We have a member on here who read it three times, never made syrup, and feels comfortable enough to answer question that other members ask. A real pro I tell you.

bees1st
08-31-2011, 06:04 PM
a really good read although not very technical is
"The Maple Sugar Book Being a plain and Practical Account of the Art of Sugaring" by Helen and Scott Nearing. 1st published in 1950. Long out of print it can often be found on out of print book sellers on line. A good addition to any sugarman's library

adk1
08-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Oh yeah, I bought my NAMPM Vs last year. I bet I heave read it cover to cover 5 times or more, still reading a different chapter each night. I keep learning things that I missed the previous read. I look forward to reading it every night in bed.

3rdgen.maple
08-31-2011, 09:55 PM
That should more then get him started. We have a member on here who read it three times, never made syrup, and feels comfortable enough to answer question that other members ask. A real pro I tell you.

Why do you constantly come on here and bash people? A question was asked about a good maple read and you just have to throw another bashing in there. Give it a break.

SeanD
09-01-2011, 05:17 AM
I highly recommend Backyard Sugarin', by Rink Mann. It's very easy to read and it is written with the hobby sugarer in mind. It has lots of tips and ideas for getting started with a small amount of taps. The best part is, you can find it in your local library for free.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0881502162/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=4562232909&ref=pd_sl_6646ygbvik_e

The NAMPM is a good book to have for sure. It has EVERYTHING you need to know, but could be overwhelming if you are just getting started.

This is a good time to think about getting started. You have plenty of time for most things, but definitely start collecting wood. Good luck.

Sean

Studhauler
09-01-2011, 05:23 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I will not be starting this year, but have the time now to learn about it.

red maples
09-01-2011, 09:05 AM
Yes first read back yard sugarin' and start out cheap. concrete blocks roasting pan or hotel pans scrap wood. a few trees buckets tubing what ever your fancy ....then once you've tried and get bitten by maple and most usually do then I would go a little bigger. and by that time you would have graduated to the North American Maple book.

this book can be overwelming to a newbie. When I first read it through I thought WOW I have to trim trees and thin and this and that ...geez. Nah if you got sap you can make syrup!!! and anyone can do it.

One thing to keep in mind with the back yard sugarin', it is a little dated so I would avoid HERE IT IS anything not "food grade" trash can he mentions for sap storage in there etc. so do be aware of that. but it really gives you the basics. in a nut shell easy to read I would buy it I used it alot and even read it agian as a reference when I did my very first boil and dropped it in the snow!!! ooops.....happy reading

adk1
09-01-2011, 07:20 PM

Yikes, this is obviously directed towards myself. Never said I was a real pro that is for sure. And if I ever answer a question incorectly, please correct me. I have no problem with that. I have made syrup, not on my own property, have stated this several times helping out my brother in law. Helped out with everything from tapping to cleanup, just not my own stuff.

BryanEx
09-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Yikes, this is obviously directed towards myself.
Don't worry about it adk1. Frank Ivy should be along any time to set us all straight. :rolleyes:

Cake O' Maple
09-01-2011, 08:25 PM
I, too, say not to worry, adk1. I've never peed standing up, nor had to learn to get out of bed after breaking a leg or having a hip replacement, but that doesn't mean I can't teach you what to do when you're having problems!

(sorry for the thread hijack!) No books to recommend...

Greenwich Maple Man
09-01-2011, 09:39 PM

Have you ever heard "If you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to say anything at all".

3rdgen.maple
09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Adk1 I actually commend you for doing your homework and planning. I might kid you a bit once in awhile though lol. Nothing wrong with reading and reading and asking and teaching others what you have read or experienced first hand wether its on your own equipment or someone elses. We all know the mighty dollar is not easy to come by and nothing wrong with planning on spending it the best way you can by learning as much as you can. I cant wait to next spring to hear about all your work come together and that first drip of your own sap hits the pans.

Sugarmaker
09-01-2011, 09:53 PM
Back to books:
A good read is Miracles on Maple Hill by Sorenszen ( sp?) This is some what fictional from a charcter standpoint but tells a lot about the art of making syrup.
Also try to find a mentor close by that you can visit and help during sugaring season.
Regards,
Chris

Josh Nickles
09-01-2011, 11:00 PM
Who on earth is Frank Ivy?

adk1
09-02-2011, 07:59 AM
Who on earth is Frank Ivy?

You dont want to know. Anyways, thanks guy for the supportive comments! I cant wait to get things going, its all I think about!

Studhauler
09-02-2011, 12:34 PM
I have ordered Backyard Sugarin' and North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual. After I finish Backyard Suragin' I may see if I can find The Maple Sugar Book. I have a job like the Maytag Repairman, so I have time to read about Sugarin' before getting started.

Thanks

Mike in NY
09-04-2011, 04:58 PM
This will be our 4th year and occasionaly I think I somewhat know what I am doing. I wish before I started I went and helped out in another sugarhouse. Books are nice,we started w/ backyard sugarin but helping out gives you some hands on experience. I know I would welcome anyone wanting to help out and gladly share what I have figured out the hard way. Good Luck!

red maples
09-05-2011, 10:25 AM
ADK1 don't sweat it. alot of my 2000 + posts were when I was setting things up. back in 2009 and as newbies we ask some dingers. but as you grow and read and study. you'll gain so much from experince as well. ....nothing wrong with poking a little fun at the newbies once in while!!!:) Hopefully frank Ivy won't be on here for some time!!! name should be poison ivy just gets under skin just enough to get you ichy then disappears!!! He usually shows up late winter just before the season when the trader starts to get really busy!!!

40to1
11-18-2011, 09:39 PM
The best thing to read is this forum.
Browsing through it almost daily, I have gleaned a lot from it.

I got started with Rink Mann's Backyard Sugarin' (3rd Edition). It's a fun, lively read and really got me interested when I was starting. However, there were a few things I had to unlearn once I got started. 1. Sugaring is a food processing endeavor. 2. Being frugal is a virtue, but food poisoning is a vice, and 3. making a food product and being frugal don't always mix. I still cringe at the photo of the guy using a plastic paint bucket with a notched asphalt shingle for a cover.

Sunday Rock Maple
11-19-2011, 06:01 AM
I agree that this forum is an outstanding resource! We were on tubing until the ice storm in 98 and then have been all buckets since then. This year we are going back to tubing and reading all 40 + pages of threads in the tubing section was priceless -- the technology has changed so much that I would of done a lot of things wrong.

Thanks so much to each and everyone of you folks who take the time to clarify things for the rest of us.

Ausable
11-19-2011, 09:58 AM
Have you ever heard "If you don't have anything nice to say you don't have to say anything at all".

Yes Greenwich Maple Man I have - at least very close to it. "If Ya can't say something nice - Don't say nothin at all". - from Thumper the Rabbit in the Bambi movie. Real good advice - just have had some trouble following it. A little like the Ten Commandments - Perfect set of rules to live by - but - we being humans don't always do a good job following all of them - be happier if we did though. ------As we all know - there are many excellent teachers who have never actually did what they teach and that would also apply to our endeavor too. So - "You Know Who" is a gonna make some first rate Maple Syrup in 2012 - LOL - Plan on it. -------Mike------