PDA

View Full Version : Sorghum

afretired
08-30-2011, 08:50 PM
Back in the spring I decided to try and cook sorghum this fall to fill in the season between the maple syrup and honey. Well I've bitten off about all I can chew again. My sorghum cane is heading out and I'm not ready. I've been working on an old mill to convert it from mule power to tractor power. Hopefully with a little luck I'll get it going tomorrow. I bought two sheet of stainless steel to make an evaporator, but I lucked out this morning and had a buddy call me about one, so I went and looked at it and ended up buying it. It is 16ft long and 3 1/2 ft wide made of SS. I have the building about completed, just need to pour the concrete floor. Then I need to build the stove and flue to set the pan on. And to top it off, when I don't have anything else to do I'm building my daughter a new house.

David

firetech
09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Don't fret with your cane begin to head out. Check the sugar content of the juice. I won't boil it until its 15% or higher. About 3 weeks after heading out. Hope you have alot of juice to keep that pan cooking right. We batch cook in a 29x82 tin pan on the 30"x 10ft maple arch under the steam hoods. finish cooking on the gas burner. good luck! on that conversion are using a post hole drive?