PDA

View Full Version : Using coolers to store sap

Mike Wacker
08-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Absolute newbie here. Pretty much got into making syrup by accident last year and caught the bug BAD!

So my question is I have several 120 quart (30 gals if I can still do math) coolers. These have been kept very clean. Last year I used one to collect sap and keep it cool. I tossed a couple of 2 liter frozen soda bottles in the sap as a precaution, since I can't boil every day. I keep 8 or 10 of these bottles in my freezer for imprompt to fish/camping/ cool the beer down occasions. I'd put them in with the lids on and just re-freeze as needed. I am hoping for 20 taps (on buckets) this coming year. Does anyone see any flaws in using these coolers as Sap storage. Again they are clean and I own them so they are "free".

Bucket Head
08-29-2011, 11:30 AM
No, nothing wrong with that for a small, backyard syrup operation. It's a good start. I guess thats about as close as you can get to refrigerated and insulated sap storage without an operating stainless steel milk bulk tank.

However, since the bug has bitten, you might want to start watching the classified's, or start asking retired dairy farm owners if their bulk tank and vacuum pump are availiable. Start planning for expansion now, because everyone on here know's it's coming! LOL.

Steve

C.Wilcox
08-29-2011, 01:25 PM
I used coolers to store my sap for several years. The only downside is that they're a bit cumbersome to move around when full. Other than that I say go for it.

Ausable
08-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Sounds good - I have used coolers on the ATV to collect with. When storing sap - always keep in the shade if possible and the coolers sound like a good idea to me. To transfer sap out of the large coolers a new - submersible - sump pump might help. I use a Wayne and it only leaves about half an inch of sap in the storage container....

rookie
09-21-2011, 08:00 AM
i used coolers for sap colectoin my first year too. I used frozen sap in tupper ware continers that way I could just dump them and freeze more. My only question is, how do you "accidentaly" make syrup!:D

lpakiz
09-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I too used coolers the first couple years. I used an ice cream pail to bail the sap out and into 5 gallon pails to transport to the evap. Worked great.
PS. I have a 300 gallon SS bulk tank now and 200+ on vacuum.

Mike Wacker
10-06-2011, 09:37 AM
i used coolers for sap colectoin my first year too. I used frozen sap in tupper ware continers that way I could just dump them and freeze more. My only question is, how do you "accidentaly" make syrup!:D

That's a good one, Rookie. Making the syrup was pretty deliberate. Having a friend of a friend leave for Florida with sap still running and getting to try it once was accidental. Possibly a big accident in terms of like a train wreck. Got the bug bad. Little sugar shack going up, looking hard for small evaporator, buckets, having accidents driving down the road when I see Maple trees, etc.