PDA

View Full Version : Bent Fitting

SeanD
08-28-2011, 07:02 PM
The threaded fitting on one side of my front pan has a slight upward angle to it - maybe 10 degrees. The side of the pan at the fitting is bent in a little, so I think if I bend the side of the pan back out, the fitting will level out. When I push down on the end of the pipe I use to draw off, it levels out.

What's the right way to go about bending it straight without trashing the pan? Block of wood and a hammer or mallet?

Sean

Flat47
08-28-2011, 07:21 PM
I've had luck putting some down pressure on the fitting and tapping the back side with a hammer. Tap the metal around the fitting, not the fitting itself. Sometimes it takes more than just a tap, too. Sometimes is more a whack. Kind of like tapping a tree - you want to be gentle but forceful enough.

Dennis H.
08-28-2011, 08:08 PM
Is the pan tig welded or soldered?

If it is soldered I would go easy on the flexing/bending of the pan, it could cause some cracks in the solder joints.

Jim Schumacher
08-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Is the pan tig welded or soldered?

If it is soldered I would go easy on the flexing/bending of the pan, it could cause some cracks in the solder joints.

Diddo. Exactly right. I've seen solder crack completely around the fitting where the fitting actually came out. The food grade solder in maple pans is normally very brittle.

SeanD
08-29-2011, 07:14 AM
It's welded, but thanks for the heads up. I did not know that about solder.

That's a good idea about pushing down at the same time. It's a little tricky being at the bottom of a 6" channel, but I think with another set of hands it should be simple.

I'll have to wait a while because I'm giving the pan another soak in vinegar. There was still a bunch of scale higher up where the vinegar didn't reach last time.

Do you guys pull all your fittings completely apart for cleaning after the season - thread tap and all - or is the soaking and rinsing in place enough?

Sean