PDA

View Full Version : Temp switch for vac pump

jimsudz
08-21-2011, 10:52 AM
What are you using as a temp switch to turn on and off your vacuum pump? Tuckermtn I believe you had a post . I,m running a surge alamo 30 with a 1.65 hp (2hp) electric wired for 220 . What temp settings are you using Thanks

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-21-2011, 03:30 PM
i put one in last season for a fellow and I will double check but pretty positive it was a johnson control unit with a 0 to 40 with a differential of 10

we had it turn on unit at 30 shut of at 25 or something like that, customer was very happy with it

tuckermtn
08-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Johnson Controls A419 is the theromstat, and I have it wired to a contactor. I have it set to turn on at 34 with a 3 degree differential. A419 also lets you set an anti short cycle delay.

Haynes Forest Products
08-21-2011, 11:27 PM
I wonder about the wisdom of turning the vac on using the air temp as the trigger. I have pulled up to the vacuum pump and the truck is showing 25 degrees and the thermometer on the tree is close and I feel the warm sun on my face and I turn the pump on and HOLY CRAP its flowing Yippy we got sap. look its flying into the releaser. Should have gotten here sooner.

802maple
08-22-2011, 07:12 AM
I wonder about the wisdom of turning the vac on using the air temp as the trigger. I have pulled up to the vacuum pump and the truck is showing 25 degrees and the thermometer on the tree is close and I feel the warm sun on my face and I turn the pump on and HOLY CRAP its flowing Yippy we got sap. look its flying into the releaser. Should have gotten here sooner.

Thats why most of us around here have a single pole switch, that comes on in late February and shuts off in mid to late April. LOL

Haynes Forest Products
08-22-2011, 08:38 AM
Using a gas unit wont work for 24-7 running because of the cost. My elec Gast pump does run most of the time. It sits under a window at the neighbors house with a 200ft 1" line to the releaser. I do allow them to sleep sometimes.
Producer down the road starts his vacuum after milking and when the puddles thaw. I convinced him to start the pump at about 6am and he was amazed how much sap runs when the sun is up and still below freezing.

maple connection
08-22-2011, 08:22 PM
I used a thermostat out of my dads unused barn that turned on the exhaust fans. It was hooked up to 220 but, I hooked it up to my 13 H.p.gas honda. I wired it onto an old extension cord on one end the other end to the on/off switch. Set it at 30 degrees, fill it up with gas and went home.

Haynes Forest Products
08-22-2011, 10:15 PM
I don't need something to turn the engine off I can do that with the amount of gas I put in it. I believe there is a difference between freeze at night because its quick. Thaw happens different threw out the woods and the sooner vacuum gets the small pockets of warmer sap moving down the line the sooner vac gets to the outer areas.
Now this is just my theory what you don't take at night will be waiting for you in the morning BUT what you don't take in the morning wont be there before freeze up.

maple connection
08-23-2011, 07:06 PM
I am always in the woods before it start to run but, a 32 degree night that produces sap all night with the vacuum on or no sap with the vacuum off won the battle of filling the tank of gas and going home, to your surprise some mornings the tank is full of sap!!! :o

maple connection
08-23-2011, 07:16 PM
I had a fellow maple producer explain it to me like this:
Maple trees must be male. when a maple tree is rubbed by the warm sun it expands and drips, When you sets its root in a bath of ice water a vacuum is created and everything contracts as fast as possible. :lol:

GramaCindy
08-23-2011, 07:55 PM
I had a fellow maple producer explain it to me like this:
Maple trees must be male. when a maple tree is rubbed by the warm sun it expands and drips, When you sets its root in a bath of ice water a vacuum is created and everything contracts as fast as possible. :lol:

Oh my…..VERY WELL PUT Maple connection!;)

Haynes Forest Products
08-23-2011, 10:20 PM
Easy Grama easy you have wood to split and you cant be thinking about that;)