PDA

View Full Version : maple wine

VA maple guy
02-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Have any of you ever made maple wine? I have a friend who is going to try and make a small batch. I gave him five gallons of sap i boiled to 20% sugar. any thoughts or advice would sure be welcome.

Gerry

Lwood
02-18-2006, 05:54 AM
A friend of mine used some syrup to make some wine a while ago, about 4 years or more. I can't give you any info on it ( I don't know anything about it ) But I remember that it tested at somewhere around 14% alcohol and was quite tasty. I only see him once in a while. If I see him I'll ask how he made it.

Larry

SUGARSMITH
03-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I was going to try thay this year. Basically anything with sugar can be fermented. I might go with a little higher sugar % though. I am thinking 22-24%. It will give it a higher alchohol concentration.

It is similiar to a product called mead, or honey wine. This became popular in the 1700'sor 1800's (I forget) due to tuburcolosis being in all the water supplies.

Jim OK
03-23-2007, 07:56 PM
How about vinegar? Isn't that what you get when you fail at making wine? Anybody produce vinegar by accident?

Dave Puhl
03-23-2007, 09:54 PM
I made maple wine last season took 4gal of syrup added water to get the right level of sugar content of the must and added wine yeast..it was ok but I dont think i will make it anytime soon...

WF MASON
03-24-2007, 05:39 AM
I worked with a guy years ago who made homemade beer and had a recipe for maple lager beer, I was making syrup with my dad at the time and gave him 20 or 25 gallons of sap it called for. If you like 'real heavy' beer that would be it.

MaplePancakeMan
04-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Never maple wine, but i know a guy who makes maple beer with any bad syrup i give him.i had some, its kinda good heavy but he makes it at 14-15% alc so a few will get you that nice fuzzy feeling

maplehound
04-09-2007, 11:03 PM
A Couple years back at the Big Canfiel Fair in Ohio. ( near me) The best of show wine was Maple wine. Talked to the guy who made it and he was going to contact me to get some more B-grade syrup to make some more. I was hoping to let him have it in exchange for a bottle, but I never heard from him again.
Also in my refrigerator right now I have a bottle of Maple Beer. A friend of my wife made it from syrup I gave him. I haven't tried it since I have never even tasted beer myself. My brother and I will probably try it some day.