PDA

View Full Version : How high is too high?

SeanD
08-18-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm going to run tubing on gravity for the first time next season. I can run it right to my sugarhouse and along the way, the line will go right past my biggest producer. This tree runs when a lot of others don't and during big runs puts out 6+ gallons per day. The trouble is, the tree is in a small gully, so the line will cross it at about arm's length overhead. Needless to say, I would need a step ladder to tie it in.

Is that just flat out ridiculous or is it part of what happens in tubing?

Sean

Mark
08-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Tap it with a ladder, if you have vacuum tap it lower.

maple flats
08-18-2011, 12:06 PM
One one line in my first bush I tap the ends of 2 laterals using an extension ladder.Even at 10-12' off the ground they still have a decent flow from the taps on good days.
Tap it.
Dave

Father & Son
08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Boy I'm glad to know I'm not the only one tapping off of a ladder!

Jim

red maples
08-18-2011, 04:35 PM
yeah I have many I have to tap with step ladder. when there a good snow pack no need for a ladder until I need to pull the taps!!!

SeanD
08-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to tie her in then. Since I won't really know what she is producing, does tapping up that high affect the output any?

Sean

3rdgen.maple
08-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Yeah your good to tap higher just dont fill it full of holes in one season trees tend to get thinner the higher you tap lol. I keep a pressure treated ladder in the woods at one end of my mainline as there are about 20 taps I cant reach.

backyard sugaring
08-18-2011, 06:47 PM
I built a deck around one of my biggest maples( didn't want to cut it down. Every year we tap roughly 6' to 7' above the ground and it produces 5 gallons of sap a day.