PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Oil Tank Evaporator

RC Maple
08-16-2011, 06:37 AM
I am trying to come up with an evaporator for this next season. I will be able to get my hands on a used fuel oil tank that's about 5 ft long by 2 ft wide to make an arch with. Does any one have some ideas about going from there to a working evaporator? Things like how tall should the firebox be and details on the grate and draft control. How to construct area where the chimney will go up from?

TimJ
08-16-2011, 09:04 AM
There are a few threads on here about projects like yours, but this one always blows me away when I look at it...

http://s662.photobucket.com/home/bkm_photos/index

Have fun

show us pics during and after

C.Wilcox
08-16-2011, 03:31 PM
RC,

There are lots of us on here that have fuel oil drum evaporators. Some very simple, some amazingly complex. Definitely check out the link that TimJ provided and use the Search function to look for "fuel drum arch". You'll find lots of info and pictures. Here's a quick list of the things I would change about mine if I had to do it again:

- angle the back wall of the firebox instead of making it vertical
- reduce the distance from the bottom of the pan to the bottom of the firebox to 20 inches or less (use less firewood)
-make the stack that connects the arch to the stovepipe taller so it draws better
-Save money on fireproof insulation by using only 2" brick and then putting up a block wall around the outside of the evaporator to keep people from burning themselves.
-use commericially available barrel stove door and draft kit rather than weld one up. Saves a lot of time and it works just as well (unless you're using forced air).
-attach stack to back of drum, not the top so that I would have room for a 4 foot pan and a 1 foot preheater

RC Maple
08-17-2011, 07:36 AM
You're right that is amazing. Thanks for the link.