PDA

View Full Version : What to use for connecting preheater to tank, etc

TimJ
08-15-2011, 10:55 AM
I am building a preheater and hood but am stumped by how to make a connection that can be taken off and on and is maybe a little flexible since the hood and preheater will have to be moved a few times per year.

The flexible feed lines for faucets seem like a bad idea because of the temperatures involved.

What have other people used?

wiam
08-15-2011, 11:42 AM
I use a fernco type connector for ease of disconnect to a piece of 1" blue sap line to feed tank. I disconnect after every boil to rinse tank and line to a floor drain.

njburg
08-15-2011, 07:11 PM
What size tubing are you using? You could use unions.

Haynes Forest Products
08-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I use the clear plastic tubing from HD its cheap will slide over 3/4 with screw clamps and I use it to go into and out of the copper preheater. Whats nice is you can see whats happening. You will learn to read the bubbles and find its another indicater how your rig is working. Two SS food grade wires poked into the line with a small ball in between that floats and you have a flow indicator.

markct
08-15-2011, 08:23 PM
mine has silicone hose in short lengths that conects all the parts for misalignment and disasembly

xyz5150
08-16-2011, 06:59 AM
I use 3/4 " pex from my tank with shark bite fitting in between the copper at the preheater and pex. Shark Bites is just like a hydraulic fitting it can be taken apart a 1000 + times and never leak.

Haynes Forest Products
08-16-2011, 08:09 AM
If you use a pipe cutter and sand down any burs and use a little plumbers grease:)

TimJ
08-16-2011, 09:17 AM
What size tubing are you using? You could use unions.

I'll probably go with some unions. The pieces that will use unions are 1/2" copper

TimJ
08-16-2011, 09:18 AM
I use the clear plastic tubing from HD its cheap will slide over 3/4 with screw clamps and I use it to go into and out of the copper preheater. Whats nice is you can see whats happening. You will learn to read the bubbles and find its another indicater how your rig is working. Two SS food grade wires poked into the line with a small ball in between that floats and you have a flow indicator.

The plastic doesn't leach or break down at the outlet temps?

TimJ
08-16-2011, 09:18 AM
I use 3/4 " pex from my tank with shark bite fitting in between the copper at the preheater and pex. Shark Bites is just like a hydraulic fitting it can be taken apart a 1000 + times and never leak.

Sounds like a good solution for me for the tank to preheater connection. Thanks