PDA

View Full Version : Red Darveau end tree tee mystery

gearpump
02-16-2006, 06:15 PM
I was wondering if anybody that has used these type of tee's (with one side plugged off), has thought they were going crazy! I finally figured out that there is a right, and left hand tee. I would start clockwise around the tree insert the drop and notice that the plug was going the wrong way. The next one I would go counter-clockwise and same thing! After about 30 tee's I noticed it. My tubing stripper has got some good use lately and paid for it self! I think they sould have on type red and the other green.

Marty

maplehound
02-16-2006, 09:44 PM
I have used them alot in the past couple years. When I buy them though I buy them by the bag so they are all the same. It is much easier that way.
Now though I have started usng the new pass through slide together fitting that is out. No cutting the tubing at the end tree or at the main line for a hook conector. It jsut acts like a chinese finger puzzle and workd great.
Ron

MASSEY JACK
02-17-2006, 11:27 AM
Maplehound, please give more info on this new fitting you are talking about. Who makes it? Part #? I have seen a fitting that is a 2 piece fitting that I think might be the one you are talking about. When I was at Bascom"s I noticed a black nylon rope that has a hollow core that they were using on 5/16"line to hold it to the mainline. .08 cents a foot. I just installed a bunch of new tubing with hooked fittings at the mainline. I don't like the hooked connectors because they tip up and leave a short section of tubing that is not pitched to drain. They should extend the bottom of the hook so it hits on the side of the mainline and keeps the fitting level. The black rope chinese finger connection looked like it did not tip the pipe up. Does this slide through fitting keep the pipe straight?

maplehound
02-17-2006, 07:20 PM
Lapierre makes them. the are called sliding fittings (EEMAT316c,and ETMAT316R) They do hook at the main line like the other hooks and leave a loop before entering the main line saddle. This takes the pressure offf the saddle so they don't pull to the side and leak. I havn't seen the black nylon rope that you talk about but I do like thes and I wouldn't worry about the loop if you are on vaccuume it actually helps you find leaks in the system.
Ron

brookledge
02-17-2006, 07:29 PM
I have used hollow core nylon to hold 5/16 at the mainline and it works good. Its easy to use once you know how. One of the nice things is that you can tie to anything.
Keith

markcasper
02-17-2006, 11:12 PM
maplehound, ditto to what you said on the slide fittings! And, no more tubing pulling apart from the hooked connectors. I have had several hooked connectors where the tubing pulls off, especially after a real cold snap and the tubing contracts. Mark

maplehound
02-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Mark are you using the softer tubbing or the stiffer? The softer tubing used for drops can also be used for all of the branch line and ussually doesn't pull off> The more rigid stuff, has given me problems in the past as well, so I don't usse it anymore.
Ron

markcasper
02-18-2006, 04:35 PM
maplehound- I use the rigid Lamb white tubing on 85% of it. I like to get my tubing tighter than most and i guess thats why sometimes it has pulled apart from the hooked connectors at the mainline. With the slide fittings, there is none of that and you can tighten them up at any time if need be. The soft purple lamb tubing has mostly been used for my drops, but it doesn't work well with the slide fittings, seems as if that tubing is a bit smaller and the slide fittings can't grip it.

I like the slide fittings at the end trees too. I just wrap a piece of 14 gauge electric fence wire around any new end trees and the wire serves as a place to hook the slide fitting. Also, no unecessary fittings at the end trees and can be tightened easily too. Mark

maplehound
02-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Mark,
I always use the white 5/16 semi rigid and can pull it as tight as I want to and have had no problems with it griping in the slides. ( I use Lapiere tubing)
If you use the hook that is used at the tree with the slides then you don't have to worry about putting a wire around the tree that can eventually grow into the tree or you have to protect from growing into the tree. Also it gives you the ability to slide the hook up and down the tubing to tighten it, just like the ring fitting that others use with the green tee set up's. I think that it can be a little hard to unslide the slides to tighten the tubing the other way. Although if you have a good pair of pliers along you can get them apart.
Ron

markcasper
02-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Ron, I did get some of the hook things with the slides, but never figured out how to use them. The wire I usually just move a 1/2 inch or so and doesn't seam to be a problem as with larger wire on the ends of mainline. Its pretty hard to if not impossible to move end mainline wires unless the tension is taken off. (The political way is to release the tension EVERY spring after season, but have yet to hear of anyone that actually does this.) I did loosen some this winter though and put new wood blocks behind the wire. The problem and chore I hate in loosening mainline wire is the fact that you have to go over the whole thing and take out the small dips that usually result from loosening and then tightening it back up again.

Yes it is a little hard to get the slides apart sometimes, but over time one picks up different tricks and usually they can be cracked loose with gloves on, don't want to try without gloves as it has resulted in a broken fingernail before. This has been my experience with them. Mark

maple flats
02-19-2006, 08:07 AM
You have now heard of someone who loosens the tension every year after the season. I let off several turns of the tightener but still have enough on so you can not easily pull the tree wire out to replace blocks, I need to pry it with a steel bar and use a wooden block to protect the bark. My lines however are 550' or less, the shortest is only about 275'. The lines do sag when loosened but as I retighten I walk the line and raise them to the right level. If i had a long hill and a lot of maples I would have a bigger line but I have to use the 10 elevation change and tap the end trees high to get barely enough pitch but it works.