PDA

View Full Version : Preheater built for a 2x4 hood

TimJ
08-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Just finished with the plumbing tools. We scored a stainless steel oven hood on craigslist and we're putting it to use in the sugar house next year. Preheter is done but the next part is making all the connections/fittings to where the holding tank feeds it and then the output to the float valve.

Also need to fabricate the condensation catcher contraption. I think a piece of angled metal under each of the tubes will work.

I am curious how well this will work - specifically how hot the output sap is.

We were seeing 8-9 gph in a oil tank rig but we added a lot of blanket insulation this summer and the preheater and hood will hopefully help.

Drop tube ("udders") are next on the list for this fall...

Some construction pics
http://coldspringsugaring.com/?p=58

Before and after pics

Haynes Forest Products
08-14-2011, 09:23 PM
Looks good! Do you have plans for a high side vent tube to stop vapor locking? Dont forget to acid clean the inside to get to flux out.

TimJ
08-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Yes - it is not done. I have a ball valve that I will just open and shut but if it turns out I need more than that I will just extend a pipe all the way up to the level of the feed tank.

I am not sure how to clean the pipes - what do I use for that?

xyz5150
08-15-2011, 01:33 PM
Haynes Forest Products

Looks good! Do you have plans for a high side vent tube to stop vapor locking? Dont forget to acid clean the inside to get to flux out.

What do you use for a vent tube that wont let the sap wont run out ? i was thinking about using a auto vent used on boiler systems.

Haynes Forest Products
08-15-2011, 05:07 PM
Not fast enough and not worth the cost. You have it right higher than the highest point and don't point it at the donuts. The vent can get mad and spit. First did you use water soluble Flux. One thing to keep in mind is if you over heated the flux and burn it you will need to acid clean it. Or you can do like the Military and blast Walnut shells thru it till its sparkle clean. Better use Acid.....I dont know.

xyz5150
08-16-2011, 07:30 AM
Haynes Forest Products

Not fast enough and not worth the cost. You have it right higher than the highest point and don't point it at the donuts. The vent can get mad and spit. First did you use water soluble Flux. One thing to keep in mind is if you over heated the flux and burn it you will need to acid clean it. Or you can do like the Military and blast Walnut shells thru it till its sparkle clean. Better use Acid.....I dont know.

So are you saying i need to run a open vent up thru my hood higher than my head tank ? Acid clean what kind of acid ?

Haynes Forest Products
08-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Yes when you shut off the float valve for cleaning or shut down the sap will equalize to the highest level. I don't know I wold call the flux company and get info on using their flux for food grade soldering. Now I know water systems are supposed to be food grade but flux has always been iffy as far as IM concerned. I dont know of a good acid:emb: