PDA

View Full Version : Farmers markets what works and what doesn't

Acer
08-10-2011, 07:51 PM
So far been doing OK at the market.
Convinced that nut samples sell both nuts and syrup.
Sometimes feel invisible though.

Lots of folks balk at straight syrup sampling, (from a small pleated paper cup) wondering if there is something I should put it on to get customers to bite.

Woman slapped me and said "dam*n you" last market after getting to her to try the nuts, I said that'll be $3.... $2 if you slap me again.

So far just offering syrup, maple coated nuts, and sugar in bags and in glass spice jars.

Had some maple gelato made and its good, have to figure out how to serve it up, maybe prepackaged individually from a cooler.

Thinking of adding cotton candy also.

Whats working for you?

by$ best sellers

375ml syrup
750ml syrup
3oz nuts
half gallon

B outsells DA 3:1

D

Randy Brutkoski
08-10-2011, 08:04 PM
At the farmers market my biggest seller is probably the nip log cabin,then the 100 ml. maple leaf and 3rd would be either candy or 1/2 pints. But the last week or 2 everything is selling, the nuts did good last week.

maple2
08-10-2011, 08:39 PM
we sell a little of everything at the markets. not alot of one size. cotton candy does well on cooler days. cant make it on rainy or humid days. maple snowcones do real well on hot days. cool days they dont sell. alot of extra stuff to load and unload.

maple2
08-10-2011, 08:45 PM
forgot.. free samples of cream and syrup are a must. most people have never tasted the difference between med. and b. i sell b 3 to one.
for the same price

Mapleman(Greg)
08-11-2011, 06:54 AM
I set up at an Amish farmers Market 4 or 5 of them one of me in an area where you either love Maple or you hate it.However I always leave with my pockets full of Cash.
P.S. I make Maple Sugar Straws and everyone seems to love these.

markct
08-11-2011, 09:03 PM
im very interested in the making of these sugar straws, how do you seal the ends and where do you get them, are they special straws? and by the way my girlfriend had bought one of your maple soda pops when we were visiting sugarbush farms in vermont, interesting to know the people behind some of these products from the forum here!

Mapleman(Greg)
08-12-2011, 07:02 AM
they are 8 inches long and about 1/4 inch across when you cut the slight point of the end they hold a tablespoon of sugar perfectly I use a hand held wood burning tool for now to seal them.The seal works great and all you need to do to open them is squeeze the end the seal pops.

lew
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Maple sugar straws sound interesting. How are you filling them?

Mapleman(Greg)
08-13-2011, 07:50 AM
I have a small nozzle funnel in a piece of wood my son and I hold the straw and pour in the sugar.Then get our food grade pliers out crimp the end about 1/8th of an inch and start to heat up the ends with the wood burner.We can do about 48 staws in half an hour so if anyone can speed this up for us on the cheap let me know.

08-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Why don't you heat the pliers then squeeze the end with them

Dennis H.
08-13-2011, 03:09 PM
So you picked up plain old drinking straws? What size did you decide on, diameter and length?

I wonder if anyone makes maple syrup straws like they have in the honey industry? It would be a very cool way to sell samples.

Mapleman(Greg)
08-14-2011, 07:01 AM
they are 8 inches long and about 1/4 inch across when you cut the slight point of the end they hold a tablespoon of sugar perfectly I use a hand held wood burning tool for now to seal them.The seal works great and all you need to do to open them is squeeze the end the seal pops.

The straws are large and to heat the pliers would take to much uncontrolled heat to melt the plastic

Mapleman(Greg)
08-14-2011, 07:03 AM
we make those to but they dont seal as well or sell as well as the sugar.
You need to boil the straws for 5 to 10 minutes after filling to sterilize them.

Acer
08-15-2011, 09:16 AM
a heat sealer from uline will seal straws if turned up all the way.
i tried sugar straws, couldn't give them away....

d

Acer
08-15-2011, 09:22 AM
a heat sealer from uline will seal straws if turned up all the way.
i tried sugar straws, couldn't give them away....

d

Mapleman(Greg)
08-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Dehydrated Maple Syrup and to the kids pure sugar I sell them 10 at a time

Mapleman(Greg)
08-17-2011, 11:09 AM
My straws are 1/2 inch by 7 3/4 and will hold a tablespoon of sugar.I also cut them in half and offer half tablespoons as well

Kevin
10-02-2011, 07:56 PM
I set up at an Amish farmers Market 4 or 5 of them one of me in an area where you either love Maple or you hate it.However I always leave with my pockets full of Cash.
P.S. I make Maple Sugar Straws and everyone seems to love these.

What are maple sugar straws and do you make them??

Oops forget it, I didn't read after your first post!!

Mapleman(Greg)
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
in tablespoon and half tablespoon sizes

MapleHarvest
10-06-2011, 01:55 PM
One of the biggest little things is a smile! I always try to be friendly and inviting (I have to remind myself to do this) We offer free sample of products but control the amounts. If not our maple nuts will just disappear. I made up a section of a maple tree and hung a bucket on it. Our price lists are large and easy to read too.

unclebuck
10-08-2011, 07:13 AM
what do you get for your sugar straws and syrup straws?

christopherh
10-08-2011, 09:08 AM
I've set up a roadside produce stand. I've moved alot of syrup out there, mainly plastic pints and quarts. The glass maple leaf bottles sell well to. I'm glad to say I've only been ripped off once. The good is outwaying the bad. I'd like to here from anyone else that does this. Chris

Betch
04-20-2012, 10:43 PM
how do you make maple nut? never heard of them.

Cake O' Maple
04-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Betch, to make maple nuts you boil syrup so there is less water present and it will sugar properly, then you stir in nuts of your choice until coated and sugared, and the sugar is dry. Some will then bake them, which helps with shelf life. Most people don't have a problem with shelf life....

Search maple nut and you will have hours of reading and learning ahead of you, but make sure you have a good thermometer before beginning to read. You are going to want to make some right away...

mathprofdk
04-21-2012, 08:49 AM
how do you make maple nut? never heard of them.

Betch - Here's a link to an earlier post of mine: Maple nuts for beginners (http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?14952-Maple-nuts-for-beginners). There are some good suggestions in the thread, too.

~DK

Red-bellied Woodpecker
07-18-2012, 07:45 PM
I know there is a lot of factors that go into how much one can sell in a day at a FM but just checking to see what the average is per day for some of you? Already looking forward to next summer as I will be selling at FM across 12 states.

jmayerl
07-18-2012, 08:39 PM
Red belly-
If you start selling at farmers markets, whatever you do, do not think that you have to come in and undercut everyones prices just to sell. It's all about a good product with a good clean presentation, and being very personable. I had this happen in the town I live in by 2 other people from 30 miles away. Not cool.

delivron
07-19-2012, 09:17 AM
Sampling:
I do major trade shows in the food industry. (Fancy Food Show and Natural Products Show) I use communion cups about half full. Some people pass by and say way too much sugar. Other take samples and lick the cup clean. But if it were a shot of Vodka I am sure we would hear few complaints. I use the communion cups so you can taste the pure taste of Maple not adulterated on a pan cake or waffle. While it is maple sugar using a piece of sugar candy is also effective but it is not cheap.
In a major trade show about 20,000 attendees over 3 days I use less then 3 quarts and average about 100 to 150 samples daily.

Red-bellied Woodpecker
07-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Dont worry Jmayerl I wont be selling here in WI but at the FM I'm selling at they can't produce syrup and I will be the only person selling syrup at their FM for the year.