PDA

View Full Version : can you clean an evaporator with muriatic acid

farmer12071
08-10-2011, 07:02 PM
we clean our pool and ss filter housing and pump with muriatic acid every year and it shines.the pool company says its completely safe for the pool,but the important thing is to rinse well.i was just wondering about using it to clean my maple equiptment with it

maple flats
08-10-2011, 07:21 PM
I use it to remove morter and cement spills/runs, but I have never heard of it being used on any food contact surfaces. My vote is NO unless you can get documentation that it is food safe. You are making a food product, use the proper thing to clean the equipment. While it may do a wonderful job cleaning, if it is not labeled for use on food prop equipment do not risk it.

Mark
08-10-2011, 08:18 PM
It will burn a hole through the stainless if any residue is left, don't use it.

Try the acid that dairies use to clean milk pipelines. It is cheap at Fleet Farm in my area.

DrTimPerkins
08-10-2011, 08:23 PM
As a preface, please take all necessary personal and environmental safety precautions indicated when using any type of cleanser. Some of these chemicals come in very concentrated forms, and can cause a lot of damage if used improperly. Consider using less chemical intensive cleaning treatments first.

1. Whatever material you use to clean with should be for use with food prep equipment.

2. If you use an acid to clean, you should neutralize it (baking soda works well) when done and before disposal.

3. Whatever material you do clean with should be rinsed off very thoroughly with copious amounts of water when done.

4. Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) is the LEAST preferred of all acids for use with SS. Excess use of muriatic acid can cause staining or etching of the polished surface, corrosion, and possibly result in pinhole formation if it is left long enough, or if it isn't rinsed off properly.

5. Disposal of wash solution should be in accordance with the regulations in force in your area.

6. Best to use phosphoric acid readily available from your maple equipment dealer.

More info available at http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/PMRCChemicalSafety.pdf

BryanEx
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Muriatic acid (aka hydrochloric acid) is the LEAST preferred of all acids for use with SS.
It's great when you have definitive statements like this. No interpretation necessary.

Mark
08-11-2011, 09:20 AM
Milk stone remover at Fleet Farm is phosphoric acid. I seen one dealer repackaging it into gallon jugs and charging big bucks.

Flat Lander Sugaring
08-11-2011, 06:56 PM
copious amounts

More info available at http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc/PMRCChemicalSafety.pdf

Those words remind me of HS

DrTimPerkins
08-11-2011, 07:46 PM
Those words remind me of HS

Similar idea to "mass quantities"...ala SNL Coneheads. Been there done that.

Haynes Forest Products
08-12-2011, 12:31 AM
Now if I could only remember doing it.