PDA

View Full Version : Need a Steam Hood for 2x3 Evaporator Pan

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Does any body know where to get a 2x3 steam hood for a decent price? I need one by this coming season, but don't really want to spent $400 or more on one. If anyone is selling one, reply with a price and some pictures, and some details. ;)

Haynes Forest Products
08-09-2011, 11:02 PM
Try Jim at 1-920-202-4500 He can HOP right on it

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-10-2011, 05:59 AM
Jim who? I'd like to see some pictures if there is any. Is he also a member of mapletrader.com? I could send him a message if i knew his username. Thanks for replying so soon. :o:)

maple flats
08-10-2011, 07:42 AM
That is Jim Schumacher, maple trader. He appears to make good equipment and his prices are reasonable.
You might also chose to make your own. I made mine out of aluminum and it works fine, but is not as fancy as the pro models, like a Leader one I saw at my dealer a while back. I made mine out of 3x8 sheets of aluminum in the lightest gauge I could find and bent it on my aluminum trim brake. The gauge was too heavy for the brake but I added extra clamping and got the job done. For the bottom gutter I used 1x1x1 aluminum channel and welded the mitered corners with a soldering torch and some aluminum rod. I noticed the Official Leader hood had much bigger channels, about 2 or more " wide and up 2" or so on the inside. This would make a better channel. Theirs is all formed in the SS sheet and not a separate channel,op riveted on. But mine works good and for a 3x6 hood only cost about $130 and 2 hrs to make.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-10-2011, 08:10 AM
I went onto Smokey Lake Maple's Web site and sent a message to them. Now I need to wait until he emails back with a price and availibility.:D

Haynes Forest Products
08-10-2011, 09:26 AM
I saw his hoods up close and they look great. I think Dennis H has one on order. See about the preheater trays he is making for the hoods;)

Josh Nickles
08-10-2011, 09:59 AM
I just ordered my second set of pans from Jim. I ordered a set of flat pans last fall, used them one season and sold them for the same price I paid for them new. Now I ordered a set of drop flue pans for my 2'x6' a couple weeks ago. I will assure you that you can not go wrong buying from Jim. Worth every penny. Best work on the market. I will make a prediction though, his prices will likely increase as he will be the next big thing.

Good luck!!! Josh

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-10-2011, 08:03 PM
I got an email reply with the price, of a stainless steel hood, 2x3 Ft, but I sent one back wondering what the price of an aluminum one is.:rolleyes:

Haynes Forest Products
08-10-2011, 10:20 PM
I would think a custom hood price is based more on the labor than the material. I would spend the extra money for a hood that will last forever and have top resale value. Remember you will sell it in a few years to get bigger:)

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-11-2011, 07:19 AM
Now I boil on a half pint evaporator, that works just fine for me. But, trying to find a hood for it is confusing me. In all the prices and measurements i've found, it always has the difference in price between flue pan hoods and front pan hoods. With a half pint, I am lacking the different pans, except for boiling pan and preheater pan, and don't really know what one to choose. Could some one explain the real difference I would have with buying a flue pan hood, or a front pan hood?:confused::(

Haynes Forest Products
08-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Good question................If you look on my Foto bucket you will see my hood. Its tight over the flue pan and open over the finish/syrup. WHY because I wanted it that way. I didnt want or need to see into the flue pan during the boil. I did want to see and smell the finished syrup at all times when boiling. Having one pan makes it difficult to have a pan that can fill all your wants and needs. Friend has a set of hoods that cover all the pans tight to the rail. No steam No visiual no smell........its just to boring and impersonal. You can also have a hood that is bigger than the overall pan size and keep it up over the pan about 12" to allow viewing.

Now keep in mind that a tight hood pushes the steam up and out (yes there is some draw from heat) but without incoming outside air its expanding steam that does the work. Hoods that are open depend on draw from the hot steam to expel the steam up and out. A cold room takes time to warm up and get things moving in the right direction. My system...... pans hood and building take about 1/2 hr to get up to temp and expelling the steam and boiling at its full potential.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-11-2011, 10:40 AM
So do you think I should just get a flue pan hood or a front pan hood? Is there really that much difference in the two anyway? The price is only more or less by about $20.00.:-|

If you go onto sugarbushsupplies.com in the catalog under steam hoods, you'll find the listing and the prices.
:D

maple flats
08-11-2011, 11:10 AM
I made a hood from Aluminum flashing back when I had a half pint. It was just tall enough to go over the pre-heater, and I had a 6" steam stack take off. I only used a 6" aluminum adjustable elbow and covered the open end with aluminum screen. I think the whole thing cost about $20 and less than 30 minutes to make. I pop riveted it together using aluminum rivets. I sold the half pint after the season and bought a 2x6. Also made an aluminum hood for the flue pan for that, with a pre-heater in it made of copper tube.

ClarkFarmMapleSyrup
08-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Yeah I think I'd get the flue pan Hood. :D I'll probably put preheater pipe in that too.