PDA

View Full Version : growing pains

maple flats
08-09-2011, 03:58 PM
I keep growing every year but the next 3 season will see the most growth. I still have a regular job (well, sort of, I drive school bus since retiring at 51, 14 yrs ago. I took retirement for about 3 weeks and had to do something) Then I still had too much free time (I also tend my 4.5 acres of upick blueberries) so I started to make some syrup in 2003. With a 2x3 Half pint I made 10.75 gal and I was hooked. That same year I cut logs to get sawed into lumber for a 16 x 24 sugarhouse. The sawyer started good but before the end of the job he was taking 3 months to cut a 1000 BF order. Next I bought a sawmill to finish my own lumber. In 2004 I had a 2x6 drop flue. I used it for 3 seasons as I grew from 32 gal to 126 gal production. Then I bought a 3x8 which I still have and have grown to 206 gal this past season. For 2012 I have ordered a 250 gph RO, am building a cellared addition (cool syrup storage), and am adding the conductor lines in a new leased bush to eventually give me about 23-2500 more taps. For next year I will be adding about 700 on Vacuum. I still need a woods tank or tanks. The next year I will add 7-900 more taps in that bush and will finally max out in 2013 with 23-2500 taps plus the 710 I had in 2011. I know that I'll need more RO and a bigger sap truck. I'll also need more capacity in the sugarhouse. My idea at this time is to stay with the 3x8 if practical, but get a set of Max pans and maybe a steamaway (only if necessary). I'm leaning towards a second RO rather than a bigger one. A second one could be run in series?
All these problems/questions because I couldn't be happy just sitting and reading a book and playing low cost hobbies. Is there any cure or is it terminal?

3rdgen.maple
08-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Terminal without any question. I too have the growing pains but not even hitting the big 40 yet theres more places for money to spend than I can put into this maple madness. So I return every dime I make on maple back into it so its slow growing but it is growing. Im old school so I have zero desire for the RO but if things work out like planned I will have a 3x10 by end of next year and from here it will get a steamaway. Im going to suffer real bad from lack of sleep this spring with adding a few hundred more taps on vac that is in the works now. So I should be pushing 800 yep 800 taps on that 2x6. 500 on vac 300 on buckets. Home built steamaway will start getting built over late fall and winter. Either way I have to make alot of syrup on that little 2x6 this spring to make the 3x10 reality. My trees average about 60 to 1 so I dont get those high numbers some of you guys do so I need alot of taps. When the 3x10 hits I will bump up to around 1500 and keep on going from there. I had 2 more local landowners approach me this summer asking if I would tap there trees for a few gallons of syrup in trade. Glad Im the only producer within miles of this area cause they are going to have to wait. I might have to throw some syrup there way to keep them at bay for now. This is suppose to be my retirement deal and its getting carried away lol.

BryanEx
08-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Quick question... how have you guys managed to move such larger increases of syrup production each year? Are you selling bulk or do you have a market figured out? I expand just slightly each year and sell out but I couldn't double my production and do that without changing something. Just wondering what that "something" would be.

- Bryan

adk1
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Terminal without any question. I too have the growing pains but not even hitting the big 40 yet theres more places for money to spend than I can put into this maple madness. So I return every dime I make on maple back into it so its slow growing but it is growing. Im old school so I have zero desire for the RO but if things work out like planned I will have a 3x10 by end of next year and from here it will get a steamaway. Im going to suffer real bad from lack of sleep this spring with adding a few hundred more taps on vac that is in the works now. So I should be pushing 800 yep 800 taps on that 2x6. 500 on vac 300 on buckets. Home built steamaway will start getting built over late fall and winter. Either way I have to make alot of syrup on that little 2x6 this spring to make the 3x10 reality. My trees average about 60 to 1 so I dont get those high numbers some of you guys do so I need alot of taps. When the 3x10 hits I will bump up to around 1500 and keep on going from there. I had 2 more local landowners approach me this summer asking if I would tap there trees for a few gallons of syrup in trade. Glad Im the only producer within miles of this area cause they are going to have to wait. I might have to throw some syrup there way to keep them at bay for now. This is suppose to be my retirement deal and its getting carried away lol.

Wow, that is impressive. the 2x6 I just bought was handling 300-350, and they were having 6-8hour boils at times!

3rdgen.maple
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Quick question... how have you guys managed to move such larger increases of syrup production each year? Are you selling bulk or do you have a market figured out? I expand just slightly each year and sell out but I couldn't double my production and do that without changing something. Just wondering what that "something" would be.

- Bryan

Bryan I have not expanded my retail at all. In fact Im cutting it back from here on out. All the extra effort and time to buy, fill, etch my glass, market it and keep shelves full isnt much fun anymore. The thing that drives me nuts is saving up enough checks that make the trip to the bank worth it and we all know its hard for a man with many hobbies to stick a few 20 dollar bills in there wallet and not spend it right away lol. I started selling half of it bulk last year and next year I will sell it all bulk except maybe 20 gallons for the repeat customers who request it ahead of time. No more messing with filling retail shelves and glass bottles etc for me. It is sure nice to get a nice fat check all at once even though there is a profit loss I think after I add up the headaches it causes me its worth it. Plus I dont have to worry about not filling all the orders or having a surplus crop with no where to go.

Haynes Forest Products
08-09-2011, 11:12 PM
Sounds like 3rdgen and I are doing about the same thing. I say get a good relationship with a wholesaler and cover your costs right away and have fun with the small retail.

PapaSmiff
08-10-2011, 07:59 AM
Dave,
The 2012 season will by my first "big" expansion. I hope to increase my tap count by 500% or 1000% (from 10 taps to 50 or 100 taps). But since "The one who must be obeyed" does not want to spend much capital on this operation, I expect that I will start with much slower growth. I'll probably boil outside on a block arch this season, while I build my 2x6.

My biggest challenge will be finding trees to tap. I live in a suburban area, in a somewhat agri-unfriendly town. Soon, I'll be approaching some of my neighbors that have an acre or so of wooded lots with mature maples.

I enjoy the retail side of it, as does my oldest grandson. He's a natural salesperson and will talk your ear off! I hope he's still interested in sugaring when he's a teenager. I'm also planning to develop a small woodworking business, to help fund the sugaring business, by selling wine bottle stoppers, salt/pepper/maple sugar shakers and mills, wooden vases, wine goblets, etc. I expect that I'll become very familiar with the Craft Show Circuit.

I wish everyone luck with their expansions and hope that 2012 is as good as 2011 was in my area.

Acer
08-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Good thing you retired.

BryanEx
08-10-2011, 07:52 PM
Bryan I have not expanded my retail at all. In fact I'm cutting it back from here on out.
Appreciate the info 3rdgen. I expand ever so slightly each year to ensure I sell out but I've always wondered about the guys that have doubled or tripled production. What the heck do they do with all the extra syrup?

- Bryan

maple2
08-10-2011, 08:54 PM
put on a clean shirt and start hitting local stores, diners, giftshop, and bakerys

Gary R
08-11-2011, 06:00 AM
Maple Flats,

You need to learn how to say NO, to the bus driving job that is:lol: That will give you the extra time.

maple flats
08-11-2011, 11:28 AM
I still need the insurance coverage for a year or 2. I am on Medicare starting next month but my wife won't be til next year. I think I may drive 2 more years and then retire to my farming. It sure does cost to grow. I have already spent over $12,000 this year for equipment, plus hired help for some installation help. I'm not done yet. I still need to find a bigger SS tank. I can however use a 550 gal plastic I have but it would be marginal and would really be undersized for 700 taps on vac. I'd need to empty it often. I'd rather get a 1500-2500 gal SS tank if I can fine one close enough that I could haul it myself. (thinking 100 mile radius) I think the 550 would be a better permeate tank til I find a larger one for that in SS.

collinsmapleman2012
08-11-2011, 08:36 PM
try calling wormouth dairy supply in morrisville.