PDA

View Full Version : Upstate capital region- tapped and running

Mapleridge
02-16-2006, 05:50 AM
We tapped 40 trees Monday and 38 trees yesterday, both sugar and reds. All trees are running, at least till the predicted cold front comes thru this weekend. It will be a start!! Let the fun begin!! :D

super sappy
02-17-2006, 06:02 AM
Taps in and boilingin Easton. We are not in Kansas Anymore Dorthy.Need to nail the buckets to the trees today.The tanks are full and the sails are at full mast time to get back to it. Made about 1& 1/2 Gallons last nite real lite.Will have a full dayof boiling today.Super sappy over and out

super sappy
02-20-2006, 12:03 AM
After Fridays wind storm I am missing -2 buckets /4 covers/ all the covers on my wood piles /the front liscense plate on my van/plate bumper trim on van/ 1-15gallon barrel (blue dr pepper) 1 barred rock hen /oh and my neighbors are looking for the 150 year old hay barn that usto be in the yard.If any of you guys over in Southern Vermont or NH see any of my stuff could you please let me know.thanks -SS

markcasper
02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Also...if any of you see a 30 gallon, white rectangular plastic garbage container, let me know. Mark

Mapleridge
02-21-2006, 06:40 AM
The sap did run till the front came thru. We collected 120 gallons in 2 1/2 days, and with 100 gallons our friends down the road collected, we boiled Sat and Sun and made 5 plus gallons of very tasty syrup.
The weather was tough. Friday the winds gusts were 75+ mph, and there are folks still without electric.Sat the temps were COLD, 15* with 20-30 mph winds. It was a challenge to get the steam to exit, without cooling the pan and the sugarhouse. Oh we had rocks on the bucket lids, but the buckets took off anyway! All this just makes the syrup taste that much better! Ready for warmer weather...and more sap.

Tomahawk
02-21-2006, 09:06 AM
After Fridays wind storm I am missing -2 buckets /4 covers/ all the covers on my wood piles /the front liscense plate on my van/plate bumper trim on van/ 1-15gallon barrel (blue dr pepper) 1 barred rock hen /oh and my neighbors are looking for the 150 year old hay barn that usto be in the yard.If any of you guys over in Southern Vermont or NH see any of my stuff could you please let me know.thanks -SS

LOL!

I think I saw your bumper trim on the shoulder of the BQE near Mc Innis/Humbolt.

super sappy
02-21-2006, 11:16 PM
Mark. I did notice. a white trash can floating in the hudson river on sunday.Sorry i did not grab it ,by now it should glow in the dark.I ll bet if you were to use it for sap storage your bacteria counts will be low but the PCB contamination may give your syrup an off flavor. TOMAHAWK- Good eye ,finding my trim lying in the gutter on the BQE Ill Bet it is keeping the NEW YORK JETS COMPANY.-SS