PDA

View Full Version : Help please for a newbie

markr
08-03-2011, 09:46 PM
I am a newbie at this maple syrup making. I just bought a used older (not sure how old) Small Brothers 2 x 4 Lightning evaporator. It has a single pan divided into a 30 inch raised flue and 2 18 inch divided syrup pan. My problem is I don't know which way the pan sits on the top ( flue forward or syrup section forward) also there is no bottom in the fire box or grates. My question is is there supposed to be some. Also I have Questions about how to properly use the evaporator. Sorry for the long winded thread. If there is anyone around that has one help would be appreceiated. Thanks in advance P.S. I will probably have alot more questions in the future.

3rdgen.maple
08-03-2011, 10:37 PM
Mark the flue end goes towards the stack and the flat section goes towards the arch doors. Yes there should be wood grates in the firebox. Best suggestion I have for you is to go pick up a north american maple producers book. Most of the dealers have it. Its will answer alot of your questions and help you with stuff you probably havent considered. Always welcome on here to ask anything as well alot of great people with alot of knowledge.

Flat47
08-04-2011, 06:52 AM
Regarding your question about metal below the grate area: they're built that way. You're not missing anything there. Search the forums here for discussion about putting evaporators on wood floors (if that's what you're doing). Grates can be bought new and used from places like Bascom's or they can be made from angle steel.

Haynes Forest Products
08-04-2011, 08:56 AM
I can remember the first time I stared at my 2 X 8 3 pan set up:confused: It had 2 drop flue pans with syrup pans in the middle. I had no idea how and why it did what it did. Twenty years ago.......NO digital cameras, NO Maple Trader just a fellow producer that came over spent about 10 min to explaine what it should do. Didnt know much. Made alot of mistakes and did everything I could do to screw it up. I spent alot of time when I first got on the trader getting up to speed. I felt like I was about to jump on a speeding train without running alongside for the right moment:o Welcome have fun We will try and be gental ;)

markr
08-04-2011, 05:33 PM
Hey Guys thanks alot for the answers that helps alot. here comes another question. How do the valves work between the flue end and the syrup end the valves are built in up near the top of the flues so I don't understand how they draw off the sap ( seems to me that you would waste a pile of sap that is to low to be drawn off) I hope I explained that properly. Also does anyone happen to know if you can still get an owners manuel of my boiler (2 x 4 small brothers lightning evaporator) Thanks in Advance

Haynes Forest Products
08-04-2011, 05:51 PM
Its not a boiler untill you completely enclose it and blow it sky high:o The float works when the liquid in the finish pan lowers due to evaporation and opens the valve allowing liquid from the flue pan to enter until the float rises closing off the liquid transfer. Now they dont open and close like a toilet they modulate........That is they get a rythum going open close open close there is such a fine line between open and close that its almost a constant feed based on the levels changing and the float MODULATING up and down. BUT it is also effected buy your draw off speed........YIKES...........yup its all how you do it:)

CBOYER
08-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Markr, you could goto :http://www.leaderevaporator.com/s-4-information-center.aspx and look at some manuals they have on line(pdf). also, the maples guy have some videos on their site for small evaporator:http://www.mapleguys.com/index.php?category=27 it is not exactly your set up, but it could give you some info on what is an evaporator

markr
08-04-2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the links ,my boiler doesn't have a float for adding sap I guess that job will be up to me.I have been looking around the site and still haven't been able to answer the question of how do I get all of the sap out of the flue pan because my draw off valves are at the same height as my flues approx 7 inches from the bottom. Do I just leave the sap in the flue side so I don't burn the pan as I finish the syrup in the finishing end. I'ii keep looking thanks

CBOYER
08-04-2011, 08:49 PM
you always keep 11/2" to 2 " above flues, level by adding new sap by ajusting a ballvalve from your feed tank, and when you make drawoff at end of flat pan, you try to keep your level. this kind of setup is for continuous production, not batch production.

markr
08-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the info I think I am finally starting to make sense of this new evaporator. I have been used to using a homemade 2 x 2 flat bottom pan I bought this new setup hopefully to cut down on the late night boiling. If anyone else has any info on using a raised flue pan. Please take a moment to pass on the info. Thanks

Haynes Forest Products
08-04-2011, 09:33 PM
Markr After rereading your post your question about wasting the sap that is below the valve is a good question. Because the EVAPORATOR (not a boiler) is always being fed sap during the boiling process the sap isnt wasted its always mixing with new sap. When you drain the pan to clean you will dump it back in and restart the rig. Now at the end of the season you can dump it and call the season over or you can drain the flue pan fill with water and add the sap to the finish pan to boil down. You will want to shut off the valve between the pans to isolate them during this process.

3rdgen.maple
08-05-2011, 12:28 AM
Mark post some pictures of your EVAPORATOR. It will help us a bit. If you have a raised flue pan you need a float box to regulate the sap level in the syrup pan. A raised flue pan has two float boxes. One to maintain the level in the flue pan and then theres one between the syrup pan and the flue pan. With a raised flue pan the sap is at a higher level than the syrup pan. If you dont have the float box between them you are going to flood your syrup pan with sap. Maybe there is a producer near you that you can go visit there setup. It is a rare ocurance when another producer isnt willing to help another one. Maybe some guys on here with a raised flue could take some pictures as well to help how you how the floats are arranged.

Flat47
08-06-2011, 07:05 AM
Like others have said, pictures will help. Small Brothers made a couple different models in 2x4 size. There was the "Hobby" and the "Junior." Plus, you could order one with what ever configuration you wanted. I think the Hobby model was built as one pan, while the Junior was built as two separate pans, but both had 30" long flue "pans" and 18" syrup pan. Both had 4" deep raised flues, but the Junior had two float boxes; the Hobby had one for incoming cold sap and a ball valve between the flue pan and syrup pan. I think you could get the Hobby without the float to further keep costs down. I'll have to dig through my old catalogs and stuff for more info.

markr
08-06-2011, 05:34 PM
Hey thanks alot for the info. If I could post pictures I would but I'm very limited on my computer skills.Since I bought this evaporator used I'm not sure exactly what kind it is.What I can read Small Brothers Lightning on the pan and it measures approx 2 x 4 it has 1 single pan and no floats(that doesn't mean it didn't used to in the past) Thanks for all the info couldn't have done it without you guys

markr
08-06-2011, 05:39 PM
I was wondering if anyone has any instructions on how to build a sap preheater or direct me to a link. Thanks in advance

Haynes Forest Products
08-06-2011, 11:49 PM
OH BOY now you opened up a can of WHOOP ***............let the games begin..........yea we all do.

markr
08-07-2011, 05:05 AM
Thanks alot for the info cpmaple.I have a steam tray that is approx 10 inch by 18 inch 8 inch deep or I have my old 2 by 2 pan I could mount either one of those over the evaporator. In your opinion which one would be best

Haynes Forest Products
08-07-2011, 09:06 AM
The one that doesnt drip condensate back into the pans. All steam trays seem to have a slight dish to the bottom. The condensate will run to the middle of the pan and drip back into the evap:mad: Now if you get one that is bigger than the evap set it on the ground and stomp on it caving in the bottom so the condensate will run to the edge and off past the sides:o your good to go:D

markr
08-07-2011, 04:11 PM
I'm assuming you just mount it a few inches above the evap pan is there a certain height thats better or is it the closer the hotter therefore thats better. Thanks in advance

Haynes Forest Products
08-07-2011, 10:24 PM
The closer the better. Gaps allow cold air to blow the heat away and slow the boil. You dont want to restrict the steam so play with it in the off season.