PDA

View Full Version : Is Anyone Else Growing Mushrooms in Their Sugarbush?

GeneralStark
08-01-2011, 10:35 AM
I am just curious if anyone else on the trader is growing mushrooms on logs in their sugarbush. I am working on a long term timber stand improvement which yields many red and sugar maple poles that I am bucking up and innoculating with ****ake and Oyster Mushroom spawn. I have not yet had a fruiting, but the mushrooms will sell well at the farmer's markets I go to with maple products.

peckfarm
08-02-2011, 07:16 AM
just pulled 2 lbs of oysters off a log in the bush, but they are all natural not cultivated. I have also found some great diamond studded puff balls and a few chanterelles although the prefer the pine forest.

GeneralStark
08-02-2011, 03:51 PM
There are loads of Chanterelles in my sugarbush and on some adjacent land. I brought probably 30 pounds to market and to some local restaurants this year.
I am hoping for another fruiting this fall, but we will need some rain for that to happen.

nace
08-24-2011, 12:57 PM
try fieldforrest.net. all the info you will need. maple syrup, growing mushrooms, starting a vinyard ( KY is great wine country ) , is my goal to retire with. i've got 6 years to go. also plan by then to lease more sugar bush! real basic mushroom plan: innoculate and cover plug hole with wax, of 25 fresh logs 40" long x 6" dia. big end. soak submerged, under water ( some use a creek, most use a watering trough ) for 24 hrs. stack by laying 2 down on blocks to keep them off the ground, paralell appx 25" apart. 2 on top of them, crossways and continue up crosswise each time. if i remember correctly, it takes 7 weeks to yield fruit and expect 1 pound per log. i figured on 2 stacks of 25 logs repeated 9 times or 18 stacks of 25. they produce for 7-9 days then must stay dormant for 8 weeks. if you time it right, you force the next stack or in my case 2 stacks, by soaking them the week following the last batch of soaked logs. a week later, soak another batch and so on for a continous harvest. thats why i figured 9 x 2 stacks. this can be done indoors because they wont produce under 50 degrees. logs produce for 3 years when forced by soaking/dormant periods this way and they must be kept moist except durring dormant period. several types of mushrooms to choose from also. good luck...nace

Haynes Forest Products
08-24-2011, 06:51 PM
Back in the 80 we used to grow Mushrooms in mason jars 1/2 full of sterile rice. They were cool with the bluish stripes;) but then a nasty bacteria got to it and we moved on:mad:

Haynes Forest Products
08-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Back in the 80's we used to grow Mushrooms in mason jars 1/2 full of sterile rice. They were cool with the bluish stripes;) but then a nasty bacteria got to it and we moved on:mad:

red maples
08-24-2011, 08:34 PM
lots of mushrooms in the woods...but I am always nervous I will mistake one for something bad so I just leave it up to the pros. but I am curious about cultivating my own mushrooms.

Acer
08-25-2011, 01:43 AM
saw somewhere that oysters will attack healthy trees, might want to keep them away from your tap holes...

Round Mtn Mapler
10-02-2011, 05:01 PM
of mytakie and shytake mushroom plugs.
This spring we put in lotsa plugs in oak stumps.

I cant spell

GeneralStark
10-02-2011, 08:37 PM
You innoculated stumps?

of mytakie and shytake mushroom plugs.
This spring we put in lotsa plugs in oak stumps.

I cant spell

Round Mtn Mapler
10-03-2011, 08:04 AM
You innoculated stumps?

Yes....1000's....but a quick walk in the woods this weekend and nothing starting yet...

GeneralStark
10-03-2011, 10:55 AM
When were the oaks cut? When did you innoculate?

Logs cut when the trees are dormant are the typical medium for cultivating on wood.

red maples
10-03-2011, 12:16 PM
All this wet weather...sick of it a few more days and things will hopefully dry out for a while!!! I have mushrooms EVERYWHERE!!! I slipped on a patch just this morning!!!!

Hmmm thats ****take. bad word in front -take it in the back now you'll never forget!!! and laugh a little next time you right it!!! or write it!!!! I can't really spell either!!! it won't let me spell it out funny!!! its spelled with an "I" but see if this works shyttake.

Round Mtn Mapler
10-03-2011, 05:22 PM
Yea...got lotsa other wild mushrooms...been harvesting shantrells and trumpets.

The oak trees were cut down summer 2010 and innoculated spring 2011.

I even put some plugs in some oak shavings/sawdust I made with the planner.

GeneralStark
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
All this rain has been good for something. The chanterelles are fruiting like I have never seen before. I have also been getting some ****akes off logs I innoculated the last two years. I did 175 more logs this spring and they are starting to show signs that the spawn run is happening.