PDA

View Full Version : tree growing too fast?

40to1
07-31-2011, 11:35 PM
So a few years ago I planted some super sweet maple trees from Cornell. I'll be a very old man before I can tap them, but in the meantime I just enjoy telling people I have college-educated maples....

Anyways, they are all growing fairly well (doubling their size over the last three years). But one is growing like crazy (it's not a silver maple). In the spring it was 2.5 feet, but now it is pushing 8 feet. The top crown just set another batch of four leaves and will probably stretch out another 6-8 inches.

It's August 1st and I'm concerned that this tree's new growth will be too tender to survive the winter. Is there anything I can do slow it down and toughen it up in preparation for the cold? I'd hate to lose this tree.

maple flats
08-01-2011, 06:19 AM
No, but if it survives, give it less fertilizer next year. Generally, growth going too far into the summer is the result of too much fertilizer (or over fertile soil?). It is doubtfull the tree will be killed, but the late growth might be winterkilled. If that happens, prune it next spring just above the highest surviving bud.
This suggestion comes from 35 yrs of growing fruit trees and not from a specific knowledge of the super sweets.
Good luck
Dave

DrTimPerkins
08-01-2011, 08:46 AM
No, but if it survives, give it less fertilizer next year. Generally, growth going too far into the summer is the result of too much fertilizer (or over fertile soil?). It is doubtfull the tree will be killed, but the late growth might be winterkilled. If that happens, prune it next spring just above the highest surviving bud.

Dave is providing good advice. Definitely do NOT overdo it with nitrogen-based fertilizers. Trees are not adapted to having excess nitrogen available (nitrogen is typically in very limited supply in forests), and will grab it up and grow like crazy...but can be rendered susceptible to cold temperatures.

georgie
08-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Dr. Perkins,
Does the same hold true for "regular" maples, 6-9" DBH?

DrTimPerkins
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Dr. Perkins,
Does the same hold true for "regular" maples, 6-9" DBH?

I don't understand your question. If you mean, "is it OK to fertilize larger trees with lots of nitrogen"....then the answer is no....not to excess. A little is fine, but too much can render trees susceptible to winter injury.

georgie
08-02-2011, 02:08 PM
Yes larger trees with a small (?) amount of cow manure?

DrTimPerkins
08-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Yes larger trees with a small (?) amount of cow manure?

Shouldn't be a problem.

Most of the time, the thing that will help the majority (not all) of forests the most is lime, or dolomitic lime. Maples require a lot of calcium compared to many other types of trees. This is especially the case in the northeast.

If a lack of regeneration is a problem in your sugarbush (and it's not caused by deer browsing).....put a little calcium down every 3-4 years until you get some good seedlings/saplings going.

georgie
08-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Thank you for the help.

40to1
08-05-2011, 12:38 PM
...Maples require a lot of calcium compared to many other types of trees. This is especially the case in the northeast.

OK. I'll add a gallon of milk to the watering can....
Would 2% be OK?

:)

Seriously, thank you for your replies. Your advice is always appreciated.