PDA

View Full Version : Keeping the Mold and Grime off during off season

mapleman3
07-30-2011, 03:06 PM
What does it take to keep everything clean in the sugarhouse? I am sick of the mold that grows on the metal surfaces which makes me do a major cleaning when I need to bottle the bulk syrup..... its a pain in the A#$

when it rains and you get temp differences .. things sweat in the sugarhouse... there is the moisture, then if there is dust.. thats the organic... thus... MOLD

at the end of the season or in between what do you clean with? detergents??? They say not too but?????? what else ????

Cake O' Maple
07-30-2011, 05:05 PM
As a newbie, I should probably stay out of this, but that question bothered me as I spent hours and hours reading this site to learn the "bizness," so I'd hopefully make fewer mistakes as I start.

That said, since I wasn't sure which way I want to go on the subject of detergent/no detergent, I asked my Dad (who made syrup for many years) but he really couldn't remember. Then met a friend of a friend, about 60 yrs old, whose family has done syrup her whole life and still does. She said they use as little detergent as possible, and triple rinse.

BryanEx
07-30-2011, 05:38 PM
Ever maple research organization I know of states "do not use detergents to clean equipment". Regular unscented bleach is the way to sanitize. In the right concentration it will kill all organic matter, dissipate over time if not rinsed off properly, and is also on the organic allowable substance list for cleaning and sanitation purposes.

3rdgen.maple
07-30-2011, 09:15 PM
As far as the inside of the pans go nothing but water and vinegar. The tanks all get a a little bleach to alot of water and I scrub the tanks outside of the arch tables etc. No mold problems at all. I wash down the floors and walls. It might be because I like to open up the doors and let the inside of the sugarhouse breath on some nice hot summer days.

Sugarmaker
07-30-2011, 09:19 PM
Jim,
If your sugar house is real tight a dehumidifier might help on those humid days in the off season?
I don't seam to get much mold build up. But again my sugar house breaths real well:)
Chris

maplecrest
07-31-2011, 02:33 PM
i run a dehuidifier in the off season. makes a big difference. was late turning it on this year and can smell a little mold in sugarhouse.was a very wet spring.as dry as the last two weeks have been, i have drained the jug twice. i was suprised it was full.

Haynes Forest Products
07-31-2011, 08:28 PM
I use bleach to clean the floors and sanitize the food surfaces BUT I also use dish soap to wash hands and every day items. What is wrong with detergents? Isnt Dawn a detergent? If I pressure wash my cement floors putting soap on it first is that a no no?

3rdgen.maple
07-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Your good Haynes I think most are just shy about using it inside pans and tanks. I know that Gramps alway told me not to use it on any wooden sppons for making sugar or cream but good rinsing practices are a must.

maplefrank
08-09-2011, 12:29 PM
i use shaklee's basic H .....i think this is the safest product to use.

red maples
08-09-2011, 05:50 PM
once there is constant warmer weather without rain I open everything up during the day and close it at night all the windows doors and coupula. let things air out for several days/weeks this dries everything pretty good. periodically throught the summer I will open the copula and the windows for a few days to keep the air moving and I always keep the windows cracked!!! I have a few spots of mold on the ceiling but it hasn't spread!!!

maplefrank
08-10-2011, 04:24 PM
i use shaklee's basic H .....i think this is the safest product to use.
clorine is not a very safe product, so i don't use it or acid.......

Haynes Forest Products
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
Vinagar is a acid so it is out as well? I use bleach on floors work areas and I clean rags the inside of the moldy refridgerator that sits with the door open all year but still molds. I dont use it on the evap,filter press or bottler. Have you ever power washed the bottom of a oil burning raised flue pan? Try that inside and tell me you wont use detergent to clean the floor. I will only use crushed lemon tree pedals that have been hand ground and had the oil extracted my the little sisters of the poor:rolleyes:

maplefrank
08-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Vinagar is a acid so it is out as well? I use bleach on floors work areas and I clean rags the inside of the moldy refridgerator that sits with the door open all year but still molds. I dont use it on the evap,filter press or bottler. Have you ever power washed the bottom of a oil burning raised flue pan? Try that inside and tell me you wont use detergent to clean the floor. I will only use crushed lemon tree pedals that have been hand ground and had the oil extracted my the little sisters of the poor:rolleyes:

does vinagar have the the poison control # on the bottle??? and yes basic h is a cleaning product, but much safer than the chemical cleaners. and i haven't used the acid from evap dealers in a long time, and i don't remember if they had these labels too??? maybe they are safer than i remember????

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
08-28-2011, 07:04 AM
I would think a full concrete floor would help a lot of the mold and moisture problems too with proper venting in the eves.

Haynes Forest Products
08-28-2011, 01:35 PM
Maplefrank I understand that you only use Basic H thats great but REALLY poison control label on the container. Would you want them to make the label removable so you can transfer it over to the jar of pickle's you make using the Vinegar? Are you saying that you also use Basic H for your niter removal.