PDA

View Full Version : Best Tubing Cutter

adk1
07-27-2011, 08:06 PM
What does everyone use out there and why. Fiskars? That small tubing cutter that Leader sells for $7.50 looks like it would be the nuts when your cutting in t's using a two handed tool.

collinsmapleman2012
07-27-2011, 08:11 PM
What does everyone use out there and why. Fiskars? That small tubing cutter that Leader sells for $7.50 looks like it would be the nuts when your cutting in t's using a two handed tool.

yeah, those tubing cutters are not worth it. ive broken 2, and i think they are just plain dangerous. a good pair of bypass pruners work great, and you are less liable to cut yourself. blade and anvil pruners dont work well because they crush the tubing while cutting.

WMF
07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
I never go to the woods without a pair of Channellock #337 side cutters. Keep them sharp with a small diamond stone.

3rdgen.maple
07-27-2011, 10:13 PM
All I use is garden pruning shears. I keep taking them and losing them and she who must be obeyed keeps buying them thinking she loses them lol. Hope she doesnt read this.

Haynes Forest Products
07-27-2011, 10:25 PM
I use the tubing cutters from HD they work on all sizes They don't crush the tubing YOU crush the tubing by not spinning the tube as you use slight pressure as you go. They also work great to cut tubing or mainline off barb fittings. Heck they can even will work as a straight blade screw driver for hose clamps.. I used a old coil phone cord as a lanyard to keep it tied to my tool belt. I was getting tired of people asking to use them and I would have to ask for them back or look for them in the woods because THEY dropped them.

red maples
07-28-2011, 08:29 AM
I got the heavier duty blue ones from lowes. they have a heavier blade than the black cheap ones. they cost a few more $$ but are well worth the money!!! and the blades are super sharp don't bump your finger on it....:cry:

adk1
07-28-2011, 04:06 PM
Well, I have some pruning shears laying around. I will try them myself on some of my tubing, making sure that I rotate them as I cut.

maple island farms
07-31-2011, 08:52 PM
I picked up a pair of bypass pruners on sale at Tractor Supply. They have done well but i like the phone cord idea to keep from spending time looking at leaves to find them.

maple flats
08-01-2011, 06:35 AM
I use the tubing cutters Lowe's sells. Just like Leader's Kwik Kut, but only $7.99 ea instead of Leader's $20.50. Each worker has their own to use, i collect them at the end of the day. The wire bail to hold closed breaks or get lost the first day. I cut a few pcs of 1" tubing to slide on the handles. Takes 2 hands to open, but if lost I have extras. Simple

adk1
08-01-2011, 01:14 PM
I use the tubing cutters Lowe's sells. Just like Leader's Kwik Kut, but only $7.99 ea instead of Leader's $20.50. Each worker has their own to use, i collect them at the end of the day. The wire bail to hold closed breaks or get lost the first day. I cut a few pcs of 1" tubing to slide on the handles. Takes 2 hands to open, but if lost I have extras. Simple

do you have a problem cutting inbetween a two handed tool while there is tension on the line?