PDA

View Full Version : Cruchon vs. Sugarhill quality

Flat47
07-27-2011, 08:30 AM
As stated in an earlier post, this is my first year using plastic jugs. After nearly 20 years using nothing but glass, I ordered a bunch of Cruchon jugs (mostly quarts). After bottling the first 5 gallons, I'm left with 6 caps that wouldn't seal (just kept spinning) and 1 jug with pin holes near the handle.

Anyone else have issues with Cruchon?

Several years ago I helped a friend bottle using Sugarhill jugs, and I don't remember any issues at all. I bought the Cruchon jugs because I didn't like the artwork on the Sugarhill jugs. But, I'm not at all impressed thus far with the jugs I bought.

Jim Brown
07-27-2011, 09:35 AM
We have bottled 1000's of gallons with Sugarhill bottles and not one problem,That does not mean that the next case we open there won't be a problem but none so far.

Just our two cents
p.s. we use sugar hill xl bottles

Jim

maple flats
07-27-2011, 11:06 AM
I've used Bacon jugs for years. Early on I was getting leaks and broken seals, but when I asked I was told I over filled the jugs. I used to fill to within 1/4-1/8" of the top and immedaitely layed it on it's side. They said this was too full and to only fill to about 3/4" down in the neck. Since then I've had no problems.
I have never tried Sugarhill nor Cruchon jugs, but had thought I liked the Cruchon looks and considered getting a price on getting them printed with my label.

Ed R
07-27-2011, 12:43 PM
We use both Bacon and Sugarhill plastic containers. I prefer using the sugarhill containers and have never had any problems with them.

sugartree310
07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
We have been using cruchon the last two years with no complaints. We had problems with sugarhill jugs, mutiple caps coming off during shipping, which gets messy and costly. But Not one problem with cruchon jugs during shipping. No matter which container you use, things happen during production of the container sometimes, I have seen containers with problems with both cruchon and sugarhill and we try to pay attention to the jugs before we fill them.

tuckermtn
07-28-2011, 09:46 PM
I have had problems with the molding on the handle of only the 1/2 pint containers. Other than that, I love the Cruchon jugs. Probably done 20 cases of quarts, 20 cases of pints, and 15 cases of others with only the aforementioned issues...

Flat47
07-29-2011, 06:08 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.
Given what has been said, there are a couple things I think I need to do differently. I think I need to fill them less (leaving about 1/2" space) and rest the jug on the canner shelf when threading the caps on.

ziggy
07-29-2011, 06:38 AM
What is everyone's experiance with the quality of the syrup keeping ability of sugarhill vs cruchon vs glass? Do you find one mfg of plastic keeps syrup better than the other or is glass still better? Especially after 4 or 5 months.

adk1
07-29-2011, 05:21 PM
From what I have learned, when bottling in plastic jugs, you can expect to go down a grade after 3-4 months of storage in them, opened or not. They do make a lines jug that is supposed to be better, but its still not glass. Also, alot of larger producers store syrup in large SS drums and then fill as needed into plastic.

brookledge
07-29-2011, 05:43 PM
your syrup will not drop in grade any where near as fast if you use sugarhill XL coated jugs. The only problem is that the coating sometimes darkens after months of sun exposure.
But it is better than having your syrup drop a grade
Keith

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
05-10-2015, 06:36 PM
Curious what latest update is on producers using Les Cruchons jugs and if there are any issues or problems with them??

GeneralStark
05-10-2015, 06:44 PM
I have never had an issue with them. As stated earlier in this thread, the caps really seem robust and I have never had one open while shipping or otherwise.

tuckermtn
05-10-2015, 07:22 PM
love our cruchon jugs. probably sold 2000 gallons of syrup in cruchon jugs with really no complaints.

our technique with caps is to place the caps on the just filled jug to let the heat soften the plastic in the cap. after 1-2 minutes, we screw caps on fully and then flip upside down for a second, and then right back up.

just wish CDL was more reliable with shipping...have had two pallets of jugs messed up (timing wise) with shipping in last 6 months.

Flat Lander Sugaring
05-10-2015, 07:35 PM
only problem was with crouchon 1 gal lids leaking, I try to buy sugarhill since they donate .01 for every jug to maple research

maple flats
05-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Back in 2011 I said I had never used Sugarhill, but in 2013 a retired producer gave me a real good price on his remaining inventory. Since I have switched all new purchases to Sugarhill. I like them better, the caps are easier to put on and tighten. All my jugs used to be by Bacon, but the only thing I have left in Bacon is pints and when I use those up, I'll be 100% Sugarhill.

PerryW
05-11-2015, 07:47 PM
I've used Bacon jugs for years. Early on I was getting leaks and broken seals, but when I asked I was told I over filled the jugs. I used to fill to within 1/4-1/8" of the top and immedaitely layed it on it's side. They said this was too full and to only fill to about 3/4" down in the neck. Since then I've had no problems.
I have never tried Sugarhill nor Cruchon jugs, but had thought I liked the Cruchon looks and considered getting a price on getting them printed with my label.

Hmmm. I've used Bacon Jugs and fill them as close to the brim as possible 1/8-1/4" or so and have never had a problem in 20 years bottling of 100+- gallons per year.