PDA

View Full Version : Gps

spud
07-24-2011, 11:04 AM
I have a survey map of the land i am buying. Is there a way of typing in the Long and Lad numbers and finding all the stakes in the ground? Or do i have to find each stake first and then program that location into the GPS. I am looking to buy something inexpensive but it would have to show me where my marker's are. I know almost nothing about how GPS work. Thanks.

Spud

GGervais
07-24-2011, 11:36 AM
the map would have to be tied into the geodetic system with coordinates listed which most aren't then you would have to calculate a coordinate(Lat and Long.) for each point. How big is the parcel. It may just be easier to look with a compass and tape if you know a starting point.

maple flats
07-24-2011, 02:10 PM
You can. try this link: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation. With it you can enter long, lat readings and can navigate around. I use the site to get elevations. I use it in a mode where I can click at any point on the map and it will give you the elevation. That was how I designed my tubing layout on my new bush.
I may be wrong but I think this program will help you. Can you see ant difference on the ground so an arial view and the coordinate marked on the map will guide you fairle close to a boundary?
When I first signed my lease I had a friend help and we blazed the boundarys. He has several years experience in surveying but was not licensed. He was an employee of the surveyor. If you are not real sure, do not make any permanent marks, only a surveyor is allowed to do that in most states.
Even a survey is usually not 100% as you might think. They use old "evidence" to locate a boundary, things like a stone wall, old wire in a fence line tree or post and other things that may indicate where a line was. As strange as it might seem, surveying is as much art as it is exact math.
How much land are you buying? how much is wooded?

maple flats
07-24-2011, 02:14 PM
I forgot. On that sight click on calculators on the top section. There you will find some tools to use.
Good luck.
Dave

KenWP
07-24-2011, 09:15 PM
I had trouble finding one of my stakes untill I looked under a tree that had fallen down.The stake was driven into the roots of the tree and then it fell over. The GPS will help you find the other stakes if you know where at least one is.

spud
07-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the advise. My lot is 75 acres and all but 10 of it is wooded. I know where some of the stakes are so that is a good start. I plan to walk the land next week and try finding more stakes and the ones i cannot find i thought the GPS would find for me. I am new to all this gps stuff so please excuse the dumb questions.

Spud

maple flats
07-25-2011, 04:42 PM
The only dumb question is the one you did not ask, but wondered what the answer would be. Don't hesitate to ask any question. It makes us think, and in the process we also learn, as we try to answer and others chime in with differing views or methods. That IS what this forum is all about.

3rdgen.maple
07-25-2011, 10:08 PM
I have a lowrance gps that I use for hunting to mark deer trails, tree stands, old apple groves etc. I love the thing. I bought software for it a few years back that covers NY state. Its loaded with info. Topo maps, arial photo maps, 3d view it even lets you search at eye level the different elevations and such at eye level. I use it to search out new areas to hunt on state land and such. When I find a specific area that tweaks my interest I mark points of interest on the laptop and then download the map as an overlay onto my gps. That way I can just pull up the map on the gps and walk to the particular point of interest. Its a great tool and never even thought about using it for elevations for tubing setup. You could also just get the longitude and latitude and punch it in the gps and walk to that point as well.

KenWP
07-26-2011, 08:34 PM
And if you ever have to you can call in a airstrike or have the navy use those big guns with out it coming in on top of you. Great tools when you need them.

Greenwich Maple Man
09-14-2011, 06:53 PM
[QUOTE=3rdgen.maple;159381]I have a lowrance gps that I use for hunting to mark deer trails, tree stands, old apple groves etc. I love the thing. I bought software for it a few years back that covers NY state. Its loaded with info. Topo maps, arial photo maps, 3d view it even lets you search at eye level the different elevations and such at eye level. I use it to search out new areas to hunt on state land and such. When I find a specific area that tweaks my interest I mark points of interest on the laptop and then download the map as an overlay onto my gps. That way I can just pull up the map on the gps and walk to the particular point of interest. Its a great tool and never even thought about using it for elevations for tubing setup. You could also just get the longitude and latitude and punch it in the gps and walk to that point as well.[/Q

Maybe you would like to post some of the gps marks of those old apple orchards!!!!!!! It is always nice to share!

adk1
09-14-2011, 07:15 PM
goto your local Real Property Tax Services department, if they have digital maps, which I beleive that the do, they should be able to get you those cords pretty quickly.

GramaCindy
09-14-2011, 08:21 PM
Thanks everyone for the advise. My lot is 75 acres and all but 10 of it is wooded. I know where some of the stakes are so that is a good start. I plan to walk the land next week and try finding more stakes and the ones i cannot find i thought the GPS would find for me. I am new to all this gps stuff so please excuse the dumb questions.

Spud

Or spud, find a friendly GEOCACHER….they are Experts with GPS'rs!!! Look up www.geocaching.com and look for a local cacher. They are the most friendly of folks.